· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default treating ick in scaleless fish.

0 Not allowed!
    I recommend everybody to read the article treating ich/ick in scaleless fish by Jb to learn more about treating scaleless fish.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

2. Default treating ick on scaleless fish.

0 Not allowed!
    I just spotted this article you recommended. I have been successful with Aquirisol (can't spell tonight) but it does work. I used it one time on clowns. Have you ever heard of Super Cure Ick? Just wondering if that had traces of copper in it?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I always just use heat treatment. Works perfectly on every fish I've tried it on.

4. Default ick on scalesfish

0 Not allowed!
    What did you put the heat up to? I know clowns can take 84-86 but little fish such as herry barbs con't. ARe cories okay in 82 i am sure they are. I will keep this in mind. Now the cyle for ick is usually a week so you just leave the heat up for that amount of time?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    32 degrees celsius.

I've used that on fish which aren't supposed to tolerate heat well, such as goldfish and pakistani loaches, and it never bothered them.

frank_zappa Guest

0 Not allowed!
    hello, i am currently heat-salt-treating 10 and a 46 gallon tanks....

the heater in my 10 gallon is a 50 watt and does not seem to want to get above 85....i could put the light on perhaps but i wanted to leave it off. (6 tiger barbs)

the heater in my 46 gallon is 150 watts and i am now at 84 and i think still rising. (3 cories, 3 zebra danios, 2 serpae tetra, 1 rainbow shark)

please, could you tell me if these heaters are capable of raising my water temp in both tanks to 88 degrees, or even 86? should i buy a larger heater, or do i just need to wait and let it rise? im pretty sure the 10 gallon temp isnt going up any further and it is pinned.

i have another thread detailing everything ive been doing to treat this so far.
    Last edited by frank_zappa; 02-21-2009 at 07:15 PM.

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

0 Not allowed!
    You dont use the Mj's heat treatment with the salt treatment. If you are treating with salt, 84 is fine and is exactly where i would want my temp for speeding up the life cycle.

88-90 degrees is not tolerable to most fish, the only reason i would even consider raising my heat that high for ich is a last resort, as 88 has the ability to kill a lot of fish. I think 88 degress for a goldfish over medicine and an airstone is a gung-ho way of dealing with it and you are risking other fish getting sick or dying just from being so far out of their optimal temperature.

Im pretty sure we had someone with pandas loose them via this method. And they are a great example of a fish that will die at 88 degrees. Max temp for them is around 75.

frank_zappa Guest

0 Not allowed!
    the ich problem has been gone now for a couple of weeks and i am finally past all of that. i definitely preferred the salt and raised temp method as opposed to the use of the rid-ich

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by William
    I recommend everybody to read the article treating ich/ick in scaleless fish by Jb to learn more about treating scaleless fish.
    Wish more people would read this and just use the half doses of Ick Quard. Ick Quard11 (for sensitive fish) is also available now which is probably about the same as using the half doses.

I'm reading more and more articles that scaleless fish do not tolerate the salt treatments well at all. Because we are "used to" doing things one way does not mean it's the best way.

Awards Showcase

After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish 
    Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa Merry Christmas - KingFisher 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 
    Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Happy Birthday. - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Wish more people would read this and just use the half doses of Ick Quard. Ick Quard11 (for sensitive fish) is also available now which is probably about the same as using the half doses.

I'm reading more and more articles that scaleless fish do not tolerate the salt treatments well at all. Because we are "used to" doing things one way does not mean it's the best way.
    I agree LH. I have 8 scaleless fish in my tank and have successfully gotten rid of ich with the "half-dose"/waterchange method without a single loss. Infact, it's worked a few times over the years.
    Thar she blows!!!