· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default M. Praecox? How does this sound?

0 Not allowed!
    My 55 gallon planted has nothing in it but a few community fish...my 18 black skirts and about 8 other small fish. I keep thinking I will add to it but really can't think of any other community fish I want.

What the heck am I doing? Why not get some Praecox like I've wanted forever and put them in this planted tank and move the community fish to my silver dollar tank?

Fishalicious, why didn't you think of this? Must I think of everything!

Now I'm thinking of 6 Praecox and maybe 6 others but what? I love all rainbows! Idea's welcome?
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 04-27-2008 at 06:00 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Praecox, for those of you not familar with them, look like this.

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    I'd recommend one male and the rest females, though I did read somewhere that 3m/2f was the recommended ratio for this species. Peaceful community fish, yes. However, the dominant male will make life miserable for weaker males or females if there aren't enough others to spread his attention around sufficiently.

0 Not allowed!
    Hahahaha Hobbs... you keep moving your fish around so much how am I supposed to keep up with what is in what LOL

I do keep saying you need to get Rainbows

I have 10 of these beauties - 5 males & 5 females and have not come across any bullying or dominance - a very happy little bunch and if you want you can breed them very easily. They eat anything you throw at them without any fuss.

I don't know what other Rainbows are available to you... furcatus are amazing to watch and get on really well with the Praecox here.

P.S. ABOUT TIME HOBBS!!! ;)
    My own Fish Blog
    Small Fish for Small Tanks

'The measure of kindness is that you are kind without measure'

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    GO FOR IT!! those are really nice looking fish.
    75g:
    5 small clown loaches
    Blue acara
    satanoperca leucosticta (earth eater)

0 Not allowed!
    They're pretty peaceful fish and get along with most other fish as well. I could leave the tetra's as they are but moving them would allow me more rainbows.

My hours and hours of research has paid off, I guess. I found all kinds of stuff I had copied months ago and forgot I had it. I have all the Melanotaenia species already labeled and all sized. Just have to take the list to the LFS when I go and see what they have. There are soooo many rainbow species and all very nice fish. Makes it hard to pick just a few.

0 Not allowed!
    Good luck for whn you go to the lfs i hope they have what you want. Rainbows are awesome fish.

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp
    Wanted: More CPD's and Loaches.
    Keep updated with my fish world in my Blog! And my tanks Blog!

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Tolley. If all my plants get covered in algae one more time, these may be the only rainbows that live amongst PLASTIC PLANTS!

0 Not allowed!
    haha good ol' plastic!!

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp
    Wanted: More CPD's and Loaches.
    Keep updated with my fish world in my Blog! And my tanks Blog!

0 Not allowed!
    Cant u keep the black skirts in with rainbows?...