· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a crab, for a great idea!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski   

Default Can I paint my PVC pipes?

0 Not allowed!
    Well I am doing a remodeling project on my house and I have lots of left over parts. Some of these are PVC pipe fittings.

I have enough "T" and "Y" in the 3" and 4" variety to make a very interesting tunnel that twists and wind with multiple entrances and exits for creatures to hide in.

I think I can paint it such that it would look like old, corroded, cast iron, abandoned, "been in the bottom of ocean for years" pipe, I can even crack it in a few spots.

However, can I really paint it? Will the paint react with the water and release harmful chemicals? If I could paint it what kind of paint should I use? Oil based? I don't think water based would work.

or is this painting thing a real bad idea.

On the other hand...not to be gross, my remodeling project DID involve replacement of over 30 feet of 35 year old corroded cast iron sewer line, they are corroded, cracked and sitting in my garage inside a dumpster. I could, I suppose, take a section of it and I have what I was shooting for with the painting...but I have to clean it, and I am sure the corrosion will not be good for the aquarium water, but it is the "real" thing.

Thoughts?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

RAK - DemonShark   CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs   for new bed - Lady Hobbs   for new wife - Lady Hobbs   to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco   

0 Not allowed!
    Krylon "fusion" will work
    As I get older I find myself thinking about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

AC's Free Aquarium Ebook

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for identifying SW creature - cocoa_pleco   'Cause it's cute - Sasquatch   Merry Christmas And a Happy New Year! - Northernguy   You should have one of these!lol - Northernguy   Expert Shrimp Guesser! - Brhino   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - DragonGoby   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - DragonGoby   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - DragonGoby   

0 Not allowed!
    You don't want to use iron or any metal in your tank... they can induce serious illness for your fish....
    For your pipe, the suggestion of Algenco is good (for the few I know about paint in a tank... ), what you can do, is painting the interior too, in black... Some fish don't like the white of the pipe interior...
    Good luck with your project and show us some pict!
    21 gal: 4 Ornate, 7 Pencilfish, 1 Oto, 7 Amano, 1 Peckoltia-10 gal: 4 Betta rutilans, 6 Galaxy, 1 Cherry, 1 Hillstream -5 gal: 2 Endlers, snail, tiger shrimp-15 gal: 2 Peckoltia, 6 threadfin R.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some gifts - Lady Hobbs   strawberry daquari anyone? - Lady Hobbs   food, food, food - Lady Hobbs   My hero! - Lady Hobbs   Have another? - Drumachine09   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - xoolooxunny   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - xoolooxunny   

0 Not allowed!
    Spray paint under water is no good. Unless you use an epoxy over top of it. You could also coat the iron pipe with epoxy to keep it from corroding under water, after all, the pipelines of the water grid are epoxy resined to keep the water potable.

If you do want to paint the pvc, use a plastic paint, and decorate it however you want, just be sure to use an epoxy sealer as an overcoat to seal it well.
    -75g FW community, planted
    -10g FW guppies, planted
    -44g Terrarium, tree frog, various plants.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You really need a fish in your AC tank! - Northernguy   For your wife. - little hawaii   

0 Not allowed!
    You could also take some aquarium safe silicone and spread it over the outside of the PVC and then roll or sprinkle it with sand or pea gravel to make it look more natural, I'm doing this with some plant pots I bought from home depot, it may take a coating or two to cover completely though and of course you'd want it to dry for a good 3-4 days before putting into tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A poor sub for your Betta - Nick_Pavlovski   Here's a ram for ya - Lady Hobbs   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Carlos_x3   

0 Not allowed!
    Cover it with plants by tying them with fishing line to the pipe.
    30g Long Planted South American BioTope Blue Rams & Apisto + Community
    Formerly Carlos_x3, RamGuy13

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nomination - Cliff   Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff   No Message - cer   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor   Autism - sailor   

0 Not allowed!
    Krylon fusion spray paint is perfectly safe for in aquarium use as long as it has dried and cured for a few days. As the name infusion implies it bonds to the plastic surface. I have painted filter intakes etc with it with no issues what so ever. I also know people who have painted pvc pipe and other items for tank decoration with no problems at all.
    Sailor

Aye Aye

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   heres a easter egg for easter! - cocoa_pleco   you need a slush - Lady Hobbs   What? Only 3 gifts? I'll change that! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   

0 Not allowed!
    Definetly dont use the real thing. If you ever happen to aqdd salt to the water it will kill all the fish.
    CORRECTED video of my fish. This link works. For sure. Really.

Tanks:
    20g long: 4 panda cories, 1 honey gourami, 1 apistogramma borellii, 1 male cacatuoides
    20g High: 3 bolivian rams, 12 rasboras
    8g hex: empty
    5g: empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   Back at ya - sailor   here's a front for ya - sailor   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - RainMan   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - RainMan   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KINGMED
    You could also take some aquarium safe silicone and spread it over the outside of the PVC and then roll or sprinkle it with sand or pea gravel to make it look more natural, I'm doing this with some plant pots I bought from home depot, it may take a coating or two to cover completely though and of course you'd want it to dry for a good 3-4 days before putting into tank.
    I was going to suggest this... I wouldn't do the paint thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor
    Krylon fusion spray paint is perfectly safe for in aquarium use as long as it has dried and cured for a few days. As the name infusion implies it bonds to the plastic surface. I have painted filter intakes etc with it with no issues what so ever. I also know people who have painted pvc pipe and other items for tank decoration with no problems at all.
    But, now that I read this... I trust it is okay. Krylon is good rattle paint and sets really fast. But, pay attention to the "few days" mentioned above. Sailor has done it all!!! Go Sailor... woot woot!!!
    100g - Planning - (8 Cyphotilapia gibberosa Mpimbwe - southern lake region)
    45g - Mixed Community of African Cichlids
    29g - Planning - GBR planted tank
    10g - Neolamprologus multifasciatus aka.. Arican Shell-Dweller (Finally found them.. 6 are coming soon)

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ive used Fusion for both pvc pipes and filter intakes etc and have had no ill effects.Youll be fine using fusion