· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Where Do You Get Your Neons???

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, this question came to my mind just a few minutes ago. After reading a few threads here about people losing their neons and having trouble with them I had to ask myself "Where are these people buying their neons?" and "Where are their LFS getting their Neons?"

A bit more background so you can understand the questioning. I've always had great success with Neons in water that ranges from a pH of 5.6 all the way to a pH of 8.0. Another thing is about transitions. I heard someone mention that if you want 10 buy 20??? 2 Years ago I bought 20 neons, up until about 2 weeks ago, I still had 19 of them. The one that I had lost was actually a result of me euthanising it. (thought it had NTD) I discovered about 2 weeks ago that I have been underfeeding my Discus. :( I now have 2 Neons out of those original 20 left. It should be noted that those 20 Neons all faced one round of Ich as well, and they survived no problem.

I can honestly say that in 20 years of fish keeping I have never lost a neon to anything but predation or euthenasia. So, can you understand my confussion? LOL Are Neons truely as delecate as some believe, or are we just starting to see some bad stock show up from too much inbreeding.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i bought 6 before TWICE and they died the first time aswell as the second time i tried, both of my attemps failed, i was really sad because i really wanted them they look very good

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think its the too much breeding, and also you live in some pretty warm weather maybe that has something to do with it?
    75g:
    5 small clown loaches
    Blue acara
    satanoperca leucosticta (earth eater)

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think the weather is the issue Nautilus, I bought those 20 in the middle of the winter down here when it was actually below freezing.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They could be from bad stock like you say, but I've purchased neons from all 4 of my lfs's. It seems my only survivors are from The Hidden Reef. They have the most colorful neons/cardinals I have ever seen in a store. But their tanks, usually around 55g, all on seperate filters, have about 200 in there, and they always have fresh shipments in. could this be because the demand is high because of their low survival rate? possibly. Is inbreeding a result of the high demand? possibly.
    -75g FW community, planted
    -10g FW guppies, planted
    -44g Terrarium, tree frog, various plants.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I dont exactly mean when you buy them but when they are shipped to the lfs also, but your probibly right thats not the issue.
    75g:
    5 small clown loaches
    Blue acara
    satanoperca leucosticta (earth eater)

Awards Showcase

RAK - DemonShark CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs for new bed - Lady Hobbs for new wife - Lady Hobbs to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs 
    To get bigger house? - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the shrimp!! They ROCK! - richberstler My Hero - Lady Hobbs guess what this is for?  LOL - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the plant help!!! Rep coming too!!! - jbeining75 
    Sorry for the loss.. Hope you feel better Gene!! - jbeining75 Thanks for becoming a mod - William Congratulations on Moderator Status! - Tolley To your Modship - Lady Hobbs thanks - mitcore 
    Keep your chin up. Your wife is in our prayers. - ILuvMyGoldBarb Thinking of you during this difficult time x - Fishalicious Your wife deserves a treat! - Rue No Message - Algenco No Message - Algenco 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco 

0 Not allowed!
    I've not had any problems with neons or cardinals either. I feed live bbs and microworms to get them off to a good start.
    As I get older I find myself thinking about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

AC's Free Aquarium Ebook

0 Not allowed!
    I think that may be the key right there; a good diet. A few flakes every day won't cut it. My Neons have always gotten a diet of Bloodworms, Brine Shrimp, Beefheart, Daphnia, and New Life Spectrum pellets.

Awards Showcase

RAK - DemonShark CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs for new bed - Lady Hobbs for new wife - Lady Hobbs to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs 
    To get bigger house? - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the shrimp!! They ROCK! - richberstler My Hero - Lady Hobbs guess what this is for?  LOL - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the plant help!!! Rep coming too!!! - jbeining75 
    Sorry for the loss.. Hope you feel better Gene!! - jbeining75 Thanks for becoming a mod - William Congratulations on Moderator Status! - Tolley To your Modship - Lady Hobbs thanks - mitcore 
    Keep your chin up. Your wife is in our prayers. - ILuvMyGoldBarb Thinking of you during this difficult time x - Fishalicious Your wife deserves a treat! - Rue No Message - Algenco No Message - Algenco 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco 

0 Not allowed!
    My LFS was loosing a lot of neons and cardinals until I set up some microworms for them. I think the fish are so malnourished from shipping between 2-3 facilities that by the time they get to the shops they are in bad shape.
    As I get older I find myself thinking about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

AC's Free Aquarium Ebook