· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dang plants!

1. Angry dang plants!

0 Not allowed!
    Thats it,I give up on plant!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Well the stinking HC and micro sword at any rate.The hC wouldn't root and everyday Id find more of it floating,the micro sword grew well and spread great but it looked crappy.It was always covered in algae!The only thing in my tank that algae grew on very well was micro sword.It frustrates me so, because it is a cool looking plant when it flourishes.I also had some plants in there that have never really been seen in my pics,Bleheri sword,3 of them all 5 years old.They were in the back and were stunted by being in cramped quarters behind the log.I have moved them to the front where they can explode once more.When they were at there best they had leaves 8" by 3" with stems like my punky.I guess this makes the Th incarnate for my tank.Ill get pics when the silt settles.

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Tieing the plants in position with fishline works wonders...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    sorry to hear about that. I just did some transplanting of my java fern onto my bogwood and it doesnt look so bad will be posting up a thread picture here very soon
    Alex

Don Juan Matus My true hero and many more

My Photos

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My microsword didn't do anything in my old tank but i've finally got some decent growth started on all the clumps now and know in a few months i'll look great.

It does grow slow so algae does get on it. It's only slightly starting on it now.

What plant is the HC?

If you liked the microsword you could try hair grass or i always liked the chain sword as it's done well in my old tank....covered with algae in my new one but what isn't.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE
    My microsword didn't do anything in my old tank but i've finally got some decent growth started on all the clumps now and know in a few months i'll look great.

It does grow slow so algae does get on it. It's only slightly starting on it now.

What plant is the HC?

If you liked the microsword you could try hair grass or i always liked the chain sword as it's done well in my old tank....covered with algae in my new one but what isn't.
    HC is sometimes called dwarf baby tears,or cuba.It is a very tiny leaved plant that is used for ground cover,beautiful if you can get it to stay planted.That crap thing is that it was growing very nicely,its roots are only a half inch long and it would not stay in my gravel.Fishalicious has some pics with it her gallery.For Rue:fishing line wouldnt work with hc but fishalicious sows hers to a mesh and weights it.I dont have the patience for that!

0 Not allowed!
    I planted mine in one big gob and piled up rocks around it so the fish would leave it alone until it could take off. I have no patience for planting one piece at a time. :)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just did a water change and scrubbed the walls and some of my microsword came up... i have to say it IS impossible to get those tiny grass blades back to the way they were. I just have to clump it together and hope it can escape and start growing again.

So instead of a nice looking cover of grass i'll have some clumps here and there when it uproots.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE
    I just did a water change and scrubbed the walls and some of my microsword came up... i have to say it IS impossible to get those tiny grass blades back to the way they were. I just have to clump it together and hope it can escape and start growing again.

So instead of a nice looking cover of grass i'll have some clumps here and there when it uproots.
    mine grew like wildfire,it shot runners out all over,it would emerge ,get about 2"tall then tturn black!This happened when I first started my planted tank,I though I didnt have enough light or needed more co2,could be the co2 thing I suppose.I yanked it all and put my bleheri swords in its place.

0 Not allowed!
    First thing I thought of was the CO2 issues as well. Sounds like things are slightly out of balance if you are getting algae, generally that's from insufficent dissolved CO2 or too many nutrients. It is odd though that it is only growing on your microsword.

EDIT: The one thing that I have found with the small ground cover plants is that they seem to like a nice fine substrate like a sand or an Eco Complete, they seem to root better and hold down better. I've tried it in a coarser material and they just wouldn't stay down.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb
    First thing I thought of was the CO2 issues as well. Sounds like things are slightly out of balance if you are getting algae, generally that's from insufficient dissolved CO2 or too many nutrients. It is odd though that it is only growing on your micro sword.
    it is the same type algae that gets on my glass ,it isn't much,but I don't think my clean up crew can get a good enough grip to clean the little blades of the micro sword.I'm sure as well that I don't have enough dissolved co2 I use excel only.Someday Ill blow the moths from the wallet and be like the big boys and buy me a co2 set up.