· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Easy First Time Fish Breeder; Breeding Cherry barbs

0 Not allowed!
    Never bred a fish before? Why not try some Cherry Barbs!

Background Information;
    Cherry Barbs are a small, colourful and very peaceful addition to any community tank. They spawn very easily by will scattering the eggs everywhere. They do not raise their fry and will eat the eggs and fry.

Equipment Needed;
    5-10g Aquarium
    Heater
    Air Pump
    Sponge Filter
    Plastic Canvas (Fit to divide Aquarium)
    2-3 Jars
    Air Stone
    Lots of Java Moss
    Brine Shrimp Eggs
    Adult Brine Shrimp
    Cherry Barbs, more is better to pick best ones.
    Turkey Bastor
    Aquarium Salt
    Optional; Black Background, Magnifying Glass.

Before you start, you must be prepared to do;
    3-5 Small Feedings a day.
    Daily 50% Water Changes.
    A home for all the Fry once they have grown up.

Getting Ready.

1.Cycle your Sponge Filter in your Cherry Barbs established tank for one month in advance.
    2.Fill your 5-10g Aquarium with water from your Cherry Barbs tank, add Sponge Filter, Heater (Set same as Cherry Barbs Tank) and Plastic Canvas down the middle leaving no gaps and dividing aquarium into two.

Selecting your Fish.

Choose 2-4 Adult fish of mixed Sexes.
    Select the Males that have the brightest Red/Pink colour.
    Select the fattest Females.
    Add your Cherry Barbs to the Tank, Females one side, Males the other.

Conditioning.
    You will need to Condition your Cherry Barbs for 1-2 Weeks feeding them regularly on Adult Brine Shrimp and Frozen Bloodworms. As well as daily 50% Water Changes.

Culturing your Fry Food. (Infusoria)
    2-3 Days before you release your Cherry Barbs together you will need to start a culture of food for your fry.
    Fill 2 Jars with an established Aquariums water or De-chlorinated Tap Water.
    Add a dried lettuce Leaf to each Jar and leave in a Sunny Window.

The Spawn.
    Late in the evening, Turn all the lights out, remove the divider and add as much Java moss you have.
    Donít forget to check the females Size! Now sleep on it.

The Next Day.
    When you wake up turn the Lights on, check the females size to see if they have spawned. If they are still the same leave the lights on leave for a couple more hours.
    Still havenít spawned? Repeat the process again tomorrow.
    When you wake up to slim female Cherry Barbs. Remove all the adults to their normal tank.

The Fry.
    The eggs should hatch in the next couple days. The fry will be very small and hard to see, so donít get worried if you donít see the eggs or fry for up to a week later!
    2 Days after the spawn start adding your Infusorians. Of which the Jar should look cloudy by now. If not use your other Jar. Squirt a bit in using your Turkey Bastor in small amounts as many times a day. When you get low start another culturein advance for when you finish your current jar.
    This is where a black background comes in handy. Once attached to the back. The fry are easy to see against it.
    When you first see them they will look like pink lines with 2 eyes. No bigger than 2mm long.
    Donít forget to keep up with Daily Water Changes!

Bigger Fry!
    Once your fry get bigger you will have a general idea of how many you have. If you have too many to handle, donít feel bad about feeding a few to your adult Fish. It will leave less competition for food and more room for your other Fry giving them the best chance to survive. Soon enough your fry will be big enough to eat Baby Brine Shrimp, so we best get culturing some!

Hatching Brine Shrimp.
    Get a jar and fill with an established Aquariums water or De-chlorinated Tap Water. Your Box of Aquarium Salt should say how much to use per Litre of water. After adding the salt Stir in really well. Now add your Air stone attached to an air pump and of course your Brine Shrimp Eggs. The eggs should hatch in 24 hours and feed just like you were with Infusoria.

Congratulations!!! If you have gotten this far you have successfully Spawned and raised your First Egg layers Fry!!!

I spent some time writing this so please be nice. I hope it helps someone, and please tell me if i missed anything.

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp
    Wanted: More CPD's and Loaches.
    Keep updated with my fish world in my Blog! And my tanks Blog!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nice!!!! Almost like mey setup with tigers and rosys. Cool article!
    http://rel.betterwebber.com/

Nurse by night, programmer when okay, teacher by day, Phish all the way!

0 Not allowed!
    ohoh didnt relise someone replied. thanks !!

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Good write-up. I would give you rep, but I've given you rep too recently to be allowed to give you rep again.

What is the recommended pH to breed them in?
    Stock the tank you have, not the tank you plan to have. Always have and use patience.
    - 29g FW - Community
    - 55g SW - Blue Watchman Goby, Royal Gramma, 6-Line Wrasse, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, and various corals and inverts
    For those of you who want a SW tank and never have had one before or just starting out, read this blog entry from my blog on AC, it will give you a place to start.

0 Not allowed!
    Well these fish are really hardy and can live in 6.0-8.0. But they prefer slightly acidic around 6.6. So that would probably be best for breeding. I bred mine easily in 7.0 though.

0 Not allowed!
    good read tolley........
    angelcakes (penny)
    "The big fish eats the small one."
    -- Sephardic saying

chat link
    http://theaquaticlounge.chatango.com/

0 Not allowed!
    thank-you angelcakes :)

0 Not allowed!
    Good writeup. Submit it for an article.

oh yeah, you can just use table salt for the brine hrimp. Works about the same.
    CORRECTED video of my fish. This link works. For sure. Really.

Tanks:
    20g long: 4 panda cories, 1 honey gourami, 1 apistogramma borellii, 1 male cacatuoides
    20g High: 3 bolivian rams, 12 rasboras
    8g hex: empty
    5g: empty

0 Not allowed!
    thanks Ed, i will submit it william to see if its good enough.

0 Not allowed!
    bump for anyone else