· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Sexing German Blue Rams

0 Not allowed!
    So you've decided to buy a pair of these cuties... maybe in the hopes of breeding ... but even then they are lovely to keep as a couple as a male & female... even if they don't breed they will happily live alongside each other and stay together pretty much all of the time. We all know how things can be if you put two females or two males in a room after a while <grins> That is not to say that these characterful little guys never have a 'lovers' tiff - mine often get the hump with each other but usually make up again pretty quickly.

So your in the store and you see a tank full of these cuties... usually if you can get comfy and the store owner is not bothering you too much you can watch their behaviour and pick out a dominant male pretty quickly - even when they are young... a dominant male likes his ladies and will have picked his favorite in the tank... by observation and patience you should be able to see 2 rams that have taken a shine to each other as they will stay together quite a lot... usually this is already a good sign that it is a male and female... but you have doubts niggling in your head so to be sure here are some signs.

The female:
    Will have black stripes going though her pelvic fins (this is a great one to remember as when they are very young this coloring already shows if all others fail... the stripes are usually also apparant in a stressed colorless fish)

If she is a happy little gal and shining then you can see that her shiny blue dot's cover her side black marking.

If she is a very happy little gal then her belly will show a pink hue to let those men know that she is ready for a mate.

Sorry for the horrible pic of her.. (she'll kill me if she see's this on the net) but it shows nicely all the above points

Males:
    No black lines in the pelvic fins

The black marking on the side is solid black

Bigger built and the dorsal fin will be longer and spikier

Not a pink hue in sight on the stomach area

I hope this helps some peeps who are going to treat themselves to a pair of these beauties or those who have some doubts on the ones they have.
    My own Fish Blog
    Small Fish for Small Tanks

'The measure of kindness is that you are kind without measure'

Awards Showcase

RAK - DemonShark CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs for new bed - Lady Hobbs for new wife - Lady Hobbs to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs 
    To get bigger house? - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the shrimp!! They ROCK! - richberstler My Hero - Lady Hobbs guess what this is for?  LOL - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the plant help!!! Rep coming too!!! - jbeining75 
    Sorry for the loss.. Hope you feel better Gene!! - jbeining75 Thanks for becoming a mod - William Congratulations on Moderator Status! - Tolley To your Modship - Lady Hobbs thanks - mitcore 
    Keep your chin up. Your wife is in our prayers. - ILuvMyGoldBarb Thinking of you during this difficult time x - Fishalicious Your wife deserves a treat! - Rue No Message - Algenco No Message - Algenco 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco 

0 Not allowed!
    Great info as usual Jess
    Fantastic pics too!
    As I get older I find myself thinking about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

AC's Free Aquarium Ebook

0 Not allowed!
    good good wrtiteup!
    CORRECTED video of my fish. This link works. For sure. Really.

Tanks:
    20g long: 4 panda cories, 1 honey gourami, 1 apistogramma borellii, 1 male cacatuoides
    20g High: 3 bolivian rams, 12 rasboras
    8g hex: empty
    5g: empty

0 Not allowed!
    perfect explanation. Well done. Thanks Jess.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A Very accurate, helpful and humorous article. Helped me out alot and from the looks of it I have 2 females. I only knew of the pink belly sign but none had pink bellies at the lfs only until a few days later after bringing them home.
    30g Long Planted South American BioTope Blue Rams & Apisto + Community
    Formerly Carlos_x3, RamGuy13

0 Not allowed!
    Very Helpful Information.

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp
    Wanted: More CPD's and Loaches.
    Keep updated with my fish world in my Blog! And my tanks Blog!

Awards Showcase

Happy Mothers Day! - Drumachine09 Here's a little something for standing up and doing what you think is right! - RobbieG Congrats On Your New Addition! :) - MeganL3985 for stuff! - Nick_Pavlovski TOTM 2nd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    You're Sweet...:) - **AquaQueen** Have an apple!! - 2manyfish Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry X-mas back at ya!!! - Kuli_Loach Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish 
    No Message - OscarFan Why we is all losing our Otos?! - Nick_Pavlovski Good luck with your Rasbora and for being Friends xxx - Fishalicious For letting me ramble on about fish and for the friendship! - digital3 In Memory, RIP Skarloey - digital3 
    For being you - Nick_Pavlovski 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SkarloeysMom 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Jess! That's great info and pics too! I have a few other related questions that I'm pretty sure you can answer. How long does it normally take for GBR to grow to an adult? And do you have pictures you could post that show the differences as they grow up? I'm having a hard time finding pics online of juvenile GBRs. I've seen fry but not a 1 or 2 month old compared to a 6 month old. I'm trying to estimate how old my fish are. Mine don't have a single spot but rather dark vertical stripes all the way along their body with one that looks a bit darker. I just assume this was juvenile markings. One other question, what accounts for their color lightening and darkening? I noticed that after a water change one of mine looked very dark and within an hour the color had lightened up. Is that a sign of stress?
    My tank:
    20g long - 8 Trigonostigma heteromorpha, 2 Corydoras brevirostris, 2 Corydoras agassizii, 1 Corydoras trilineatus named Julian

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well I guess I was wrong about my GBR being female. It is most definately a male. No black on the pelvic fins. No pinkish belly. Thanks for the great information. I will remember this when I look at getting a female for my male.
    20g long 84w, fluorite, planted, 5 Habrosus Corys, MTS, pair of Clown Pleco (L104)
    20gal tall: home to 10 brevis. Letting them pair off then will put the rest into the 55.
    55g empty

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is perfect Jess... I'm going to print this up when it comes time to get my GBRs. This will make it much easier.... I bet it will even teach the LFS a thing or 2. Those are great pictures and the explanation was entertaining as well.

Thanks again!

ps. I promise I won't show her picture to anyone else. LOL
    100g - Planning - (8 Cyphotilapia gibberosa Mpimbwe - southern lake region)
    45g - Mixed Community of African Cichlids
    29g - Planning - GBR planted tank
    10g - Neolamprologus multifasciatus aka.. Arican Shell-Dweller (Finally found them.. 6 are coming soon)

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome explanation and very easy to see the difference in them if you know what you are looking for. Nice job, GF.