· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I need to make some changes!

0 Not allowed!
    My 55 gallon has 130 watt that sits on feet. I have battled algae since day one and tired of the struggle to make this tank look nice. Finally score: Hobbs = 0, Algae = 782. So, my thoughts:

I have moved the plants out pretty much and put them all in my 20 gallon shrimp tank where they will have 3 watts per gallon and will add to that light supply making it 4 watts per. To this tank I will set up the CO2 and again add ferts.

I am taking out that miserable soil master select in the 55 gallon because of all the dust and the constant clogging up of my canister. I am going to dump in gravel, again, and make this tank strictly a low light tank. Mosses, java and the vals that I have there that are doing so well. My question......(finally) would be if anubus will grow in gravel decently? If not, I could leave a small amount of the soil master under the gravel in area's for these plants. I've never tried just growing them in gravel so am unsure with this. This is also what I'll be doing with my vals so not to disrupt them. (They are doing awesome with that light.)

My 20 gallon will be pretty much used as a grow out tank to give my plants a better beginning and I will also be planting my 29 gallon within a month but I am giving up the ghost with this 55 gallon.

I hope this post was long enough to ask one little, tiny question!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have some anubias barteri growing ok in just gravel. I have some growing in a mix of fluorite and gravel and it is growing very very well. I get 1 new leaf a week. Its about time I split it up a bit. Also I have about 1.5w/g of light.
    20g long 84w, fluorite, planted, 5 Habrosus Corys, MTS, pair of Clown Pleco (L104)
    20gal tall: home to 10 brevis. Letting them pair off then will put the rest into the 55.
    55g empty

0 Not allowed!
    I have one anubias in particular that I have nearly killed 5 times already and this thing just has so much patience with me. I riped every leaf off it two weeks ago and have four new leaves already. It has been very forgiving of me but I will try it in gravel. Thank you.

0 Not allowed!
    The anubias don´t need any substrate what so ever. They do very well just tied to a piece of driftwood or a stone. I found that they grow better this way.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Mine's doing fine stuck in some gravel...

I think you need to do some reverse-tank psychology...

Try to grow the algae on purpose! Betcha you won't be able to, and then you'll have the nice clean tank you really want!
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Awards Showcase

Have a drink on me - Dave66 From a fellow BC boy - sailor For making a great game - Futureboy thanks for the rep. - robnepper Congrats on your Gold Award :) - SkinnyChicken 
    To make up for not voting you in...lol :) - MeganL3985 Have a great trip! - MeganL3985 Happy B'day - donvichu sounds like you need a beer Doug - sailor Nice job on new tank - Lady Hobbs 
    tribbles - Commodore 64 One more for the school! - Wild Turkey Seasons Greetings, have anice Christmas. - Brookfish Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey 
    Merry Christmas - Northernguy Congrats TOTM - Northernguy Happy Birthday Mate - fraggle Thanks, good to see you back! - Brookfish 
    Autism - doug z Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - doug z 

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, Anubias grows est when it's rhizome it's completely out of the substrate, and tied to a rock or piece of driftwood..

Don't give up on the 55g! :)
    75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN
    25g: 5 long-finned zebra danios

0 Not allowed!
    Good luck with the new setup. Do you have snail in your tank? They might help with the algae. I'm actually winning the war against algae until recently. I now have green spot algae.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by William
    The anubias don΄t need any substrate what so ever. They do very well just tied to a piece of driftwood or a stone. I found that they grow better this way.
    I agree with you William they grow very well on rocks and wood. They will also grow pretty fast in high light or medium light... the low light anubias doesnt mean it cant tolerate high light... if it has high light it should grow very very fast.... This is what the owner of the lfs has told me... But it does so well also with low-light it is considered lowlight plant
    Alex

Don Juan Matus My true hero and many more

My Photos

Awards Showcase

Have a drink on me - Dave66 From a fellow BC boy - sailor For making a great game - Futureboy thanks for the rep. - robnepper Congrats on your Gold Award :) - SkinnyChicken 
    To make up for not voting you in...lol :) - MeganL3985 Have a great trip! - MeganL3985 Happy B'day - donvichu sounds like you need a beer Doug - sailor Nice job on new tank - Lady Hobbs 
    tribbles - Commodore 64 One more for the school! - Wild Turkey Seasons Greetings, have anice Christmas. - Brookfish Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey 
    Merry Christmas - Northernguy Congrats TOTM - Northernguy Happy Birthday Mate - fraggle Thanks, good to see you back! - Brookfish 
    Autism - doug z Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - doug z 

0 Not allowed!
    the low light anubias doesnt mean it cant tolerate high light... if it has high light it should grow very very fast.... This is what the owner of the lfs has told me.
    Actually, siyimdapolio, anubias greatly prefer low lighting..

They don't like alot of light, and are slow growing, no matter how bright the lighting..

I'm getting some for my tank, but I'll be making sure they are in the shade of some floating plants, or rocks..
    75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN
    25g: 5 long-finned zebra danios

0 Not allowed!
    Hobbs, if you can, get a bag of flourite, or eco-complete for your tank, and then mix it with reg gravel. You won't need to use ferts so much then. I find that using ferts can adversely affect a tank with too much of the wrong nutrients, which in turn feed your algae greatly.

Anubias are extremely hardy, they do not need a lot of light, just a good supply of nutrients. If the tank is heavily stocked with fish, that may be all you need for your plants, IF going with low light plants.

Crypts also work very well in low light tanks, and they come in a variety of colors shapes and sizes. Just remember, however, once a crypt is planted, try not to move it around, as this may contribute to root rot, and that would be very counter productive to what you are trying to accomplish.

Also, anarachis is a very good plant to have, as it grows quickly, gives off a lot of oxygen, and utilizes nutrients within the water column. Just be careful, as with all stem plants when planting them in the substrate. The stems can damage easily, and will rot there. I have used an old uptake tube from an undergravel filter, added the stem plant to the top of the tube, and then hollowed out a hole with the bottom end. Once that occured, I set the plant into the gravel and gently swirled the tube around until the plant was planted.

I think the biggest problem, however, is/was the use of ferts. Too much will kill a plant, and allow algae to grow unchecked. Too little, and you will see yellowing of the leaves. This can be from the lack of iron in the gravel, which flourite or eco-complete has.

Just my thoughts.
    75 gallon planted tank with discus, GBR's and cardinals

135 gallon saltwater FOWLR work in progress and desperately need help