· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Don't forget peeps that Amano shrimp will only eat green algae and not any other types...green algae is not usually a pest in a tank and tends to only grow on decorations or backing wall (not plants)... the normal green algae in this way is a sign of a healthy tank and can easily be plucked off with your fingers if it annoys you.

Oto's & shrimp have tiny stomachs and can only eat so much ... although they will lessen algae... to use them for a huge algae outbreak is pretty much useless unless you throw hundreds in there...

Oto Cat's if cared for properly will live for around 5 years
    Last edited by Fishalicious; 04-14-2008 at 12:36 AM.
    My own Fish Blog
    Small Fish for Small Tanks

'The measure of kindness is that you are kind without measure'

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by doug z
    That's all?

Wow..

Wonder how long otos live for?

If I did get the otos and or shrimp, I could always "starve" them for a week, make them eat some tank algae, before giving them some treats, no?
    They will eat up the algae if hungry yes but the debris from the normal food would also get picked at. Like the NLS stable wafers for the cories. The shrimp would pick at it. Otos live around 3-5 years if you get them past the initial acclimation period. That is were most have problems..
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

Awards Showcase

Have a drink on me - Dave66 From a fellow BC boy - sailor For making a great game - Futureboy thanks for the rep. - robnepper Congrats on your Gold Award :) - SkinnyChicken 
    To make up for not voting you in...lol :) - MeganL3985 Have a great trip! - MeganL3985 Happy B'day - donvichu sounds like you need a beer Doug - sailor Nice job on new tank - Lady Hobbs 
    tribbles - Commodore 64 One more for the school! - Wild Turkey Seasons Greetings, have anice Christmas. - Brookfish Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey 
    Merry Christmas - Northernguy Congrats TOTM - Northernguy Happy Birthday Mate - fraggle Thanks, good to see you back! - Brookfish 
    Autism - doug z Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - doug z 

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I plan to drip acclimatize them, and add them after the tank is more or less established, so hopefully I'll be ok..
    75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN
    25g: 5 long-finned zebra danios

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Should be fine..... Hopefully the otos work out for you Doug... Good luck with them....

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

Awards Showcase

Have a drink on me - Dave66 From a fellow BC boy - sailor For making a great game - Futureboy thanks for the rep. - robnepper Congrats on your Gold Award :) - SkinnyChicken 
    To make up for not voting you in...lol :) - MeganL3985 Have a great trip! - MeganL3985 Happy B'day - donvichu sounds like you need a beer Doug - sailor Nice job on new tank - Lady Hobbs 
    tribbles - Commodore 64 One more for the school! - Wild Turkey Seasons Greetings, have anice Christmas. - Brookfish Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey 
    Merry Christmas - Northernguy Congrats TOTM - Northernguy Happy Birthday Mate - fraggle Thanks, good to see you back! - Brookfish 
    Autism - doug z Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - doug z 

0 Not allowed!
    I'll keep you all appraised of my snail's pace, progress wise.. :)

Come August, though..

Things will finally start to cook... :)
    75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    August... That tank is lonely Doug it needs water lol......

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Poor little fella.. :(

I'll have water in it and planted just as soon as I get home mid July, and by middle of August will be adding my first fish (corys)..

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just a bump for the weekend crew to see before it goes to archives....
    Thanks guys for all the support!!!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    nice write up jbeining!!! WEll done i love the article... Heres a picture of my amano shrimp to supplement the thread :)

can anybody say clear
    Alex

Don Juan Matus My true hero and many more

My Photos

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    pm that to William so he adds it to the profile that is on the website now... It is posted up. That is a great pic to add to the profile and article on them...