· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Have a drink on me - Dave66 From a fellow BC boy - sailor For making a great game - Futureboy thanks for the rep. - robnepper Congrats on your Gold Award :) - SkinnyChicken 
    To make up for not voting you in...lol :) - MeganL3985 Have a great trip! - MeganL3985 Happy B'day - donvichu sounds like you need a beer Doug - sailor Nice job on new tank - Lady Hobbs 
    tribbles - Commodore 64 One more for the school! - Wild Turkey Seasons Greetings, have anice Christmas. - Brookfish Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey 
    Merry Christmas - Northernguy Congrats TOTM - Northernguy Happy Birthday Mate - fraggle Thanks, good to see you back! - Brookfish 
    Autism - doug z Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - doug z 

0 Not allowed!
    Good article!!

I'd get some, but with the corys, otos, and BN the algae's going to be scarce as it is, in my 75g.. :)

Are there any fish, besides cichlids or other fish over 4", that would eat the shrimp?
    75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN
    25g: 5 long-finned zebra danios

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Most of the fish in the hobby that are cichlids would eat the shrimp. Under 4 inches I am not sure of any. I would imagine there are some somewhere that would eat it. Apparently betta eat shrimp as one member had a problem with that. As far as other maybe some types of catfish but they get over 4 inches... That is a great question Doug...
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

Awards Showcase

Have a drink on me - Dave66 From a fellow BC boy - sailor For making a great game - Futureboy thanks for the rep. - robnepper Congrats on your Gold Award :) - SkinnyChicken 
    To make up for not voting you in...lol :) - MeganL3985 Have a great trip! - MeganL3985 Happy B'day - donvichu sounds like you need a beer Doug - sailor Nice job on new tank - Lady Hobbs 
    tribbles - Commodore 64 One more for the school! - Wild Turkey Seasons Greetings, have anice Christmas. - Brookfish Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey 
    Merry Christmas - Northernguy Congrats TOTM - Northernguy Happy Birthday Mate - fraggle Thanks, good to see you back! - Brookfish 
    Autism - doug z Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - doug z 

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, thanks!

If I ever do a straight up Iwagumi (Zen Style), that's what I'm going to use as my cleaners, as the only other fish in the tank will be tetras..
    75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had 5 amano's in my 29g planted. They were great shrimp but I don't know how much algae they really ate haha. Then again I only had BBA and I don't think they eat that.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    What did you feed them, then?

Might have gotten dependent on the staple food you provided?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah once algae eaters and shrimp get a taste for food the algae generally stays there lol...

I was thinking Doug. My clown killies are around 3 inches are they ate my Malaysian Rainbow Shrimp (I will do an article on them soon, probably Tuesday). I will release these articles at night when I get off work around 9pm EST. They go to William first to see if they are fine.

Thanks for the shot of rep zackish. Always appreciate it!!!
    Last edited by jbeining75; 04-14-2008 at 12:02 AM.

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Killies, eh?

Off the list they go.. :)

How many shrimp per gallon?

Is there a rule of thumb for tank size, as far as keeping ahead of algae is concerned?

How do they do with algae adhering the the sides?

Supplement them with otos?

0 Not allowed!
    just passing again.

Doug shrimp usually clean more than they the waste they produce so you could literally go as many as you wanted. Like snails.

Also there are lots of small killifish out there.

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp
    Wanted: More CPD's and Loaches.
    Keep updated with my fish world in my Blog! And my tanks Blog!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You could supplement Amanos with Otos if you like. Just make sure they have enough algae growth in the tank as both will devour algae. Amano shrimp you can go around 1 shrimp per gallon or so. They get around 2 inches max and will live around 1-2 years if properly kept. Normal shrimps that are dwarfs stay around 1 shrimp per gallon until you get into the bigger ones. All the ones I do in the coming week will be smaller than mostly 2 inches or so most not even 1 inch.... With the Amanos and the Cherries normally they will swim around and eat off the glass. The otos will take care of that also. Both though once tasting food may slow down alot. You will have to watch feeding them. As with any shrimp keep the top tight as once they are out of the water they are no good. Most shrimp are jumpers as well...

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    1-2 years if properly kept
    That's all?

Wow..

Wonder how long otos live for?

If I did get the otos and or shrimp, I could always "starve" them for a week, make them eat some tank algae, before giving them some treats, no?