· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi

Hybrid View

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Hi

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, i have a cold water fish tank for about 4 years now with some goldfish in it, which is really my 4 year old sons but i do most of the looking after, i enjoy the fish so much that my son bought me some red claw crabs for mothers day. of course we got a heater for the tank and the 4 crabs lived happily and molted in the tank for about a month. then the goldfish started to get very aggressive with the crabs and killed and eat 2 of them!! i was very upset and bought a 58 litre tropical tank just for the remaining crabs, we set up the tank for 2 weeks before introducing the crabs to it, we also got some neon tetras and other small tropical fish, but to my horror the crabs are sick, have turned grey and do not look good, all the tropical fish are fine and eating well. please can anyone tell me what i have done wrong with my new tank, i am so sad that the crabs are sick and have askes in the pet shop where we bought them for some advice but they were not much help, they just told me that if it was the new tank at fault then the tetras should be dead too as they are more fragie then the crabs!! Sorry for the long intro but i have spent hours on the internet trying to get some information to help the crabs, you are my last hope, I do not want to get any new crabs untill i find out what the problem is, thanks for any help you can give me and my son son, Lorraine.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

RAK - DemonShark   CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs   for new bed - Lady Hobbs   for new wife - Lady Hobbs   to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco   

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Lorraine, welcome aboard! Your new tank isn't fully cycled, the crabs succumbed ammonia and/or nitrite poisoning.
    You can read about cycling here,http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5781
    As I get older I find myself thinking about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

AC's Free Aquarium Ebook

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Suprised You Dont Have A Gift Yet!! - MeganL3985   haha chelsea 2-man utd 1 - duce   man united buddy yay - angelcakes   They don't have a Shamrock so here's the next best thing. - Brookfish   Well done on the Angel spawn - Wetpets   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Algenco
    Hi Lorraine, welcome aboard! Your new tank isn't fully cycled, the crabs succumbed ammonia and/or nitrite poisoning.
    You can read about cycling here,http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5781

Was just gonna say about the cycling! Good call!
    Ghostknife

250 Ltr (66Gallon US)
    BGK, Sailfin Pleco, Bala Shark, 3 random cichlids (cannot remember their name, they are not typical though), 4 YoYo Loach's, 1 Bristlenose, 11 Rumy nose tetra, 2 Black Widow Tetra,

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

tribute to digga r.i.p - angelcakes   Your Awesome! - Tolley   happy easter to me........LOL - angelcakes   Thank you for the nomination and sorry for the fishy - Billythefish   Probably the nicest members on the forum... - Goshawk   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - angelcakes   HIV/AIDS - angelcakes   

0 Not allowed!
    hello and welcome..............
    angelcakes (penny)
    "The big fish eats the small one."
    -- Sephardic saying

chat link
    http://theaquaticlounge.chatango.com/

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default thanks Algenco

0 Not allowed!
    I did some reaserch on the net before setting up my new tank and it sais if you use some of the water from your old tank and rinse the new filter in the old tank water that his wolud encourage the bacteria to grow in the new tank and that the cycle would only take about 2 weeks, was this bad advice and has caused my crabs to be dying? is there anything i can do for the two remaining crabs that are alive but not looking good, should i move them back to the old tank? will my tropical fish survive in the new tank? how long should i leave it before buying new crabs? thanks again for your advice.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks very much for helping me and sticking with me till the end. lol - squirt_12   For your new baby girl! - gm72   **Congrats On Your New Baby **  : ) - MeganL3985   Congrats!!! - Hailey   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   
    Autism - country_boy454   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - country_boy454   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum!
    20g long 84w, fluorite, planted, 5 Habrosus Corys, MTS, pair of Clown Pleco (L104)
    20gal tall: home to 10 brevis. Letting them pair off then will put the rest into the 55.
    55g empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just a regular gift! - Rue   Wheres all your gifts JB?!  Heres another one! - MeganL3985   for a buddy - smaug   Welcome back - sailor   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jbeining75   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to AC Lorraine. Invertibrates are actually less stable in aquariums than fish are. The crabs like Gene stated probably suffered from ammo or nitrite poisioning. Get a freshwater master test kit and test your levels daily until the cycle has finished. The crab may have been stresses also and not eating properly.
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

0 Not allowed!
    Hi and welcome Lorraine. I hope you like it here.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum....

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   Thanks for the gift. - William   

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome, I am so sorry about your poor crabs, Lorraine. You've come to the right place for the best advice!! Good luck...