· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

Thumbs up Don't be scared but I have an idea!

0 Not allowed!
    I'm thinking of getting some cinder blocks and making my own aquarium stand. Thought I could stack them up, paint them black to match my other stands, lay a sheet of 1 inch plywood on top and then a sheet of pegboard or foam of some kind.

I really don't think it would look too stupid, do you, especially if it was painted black? I will have no storage but don't need any. Have plenty in my other stands.

What size are blocks! Not the kind with the holes in the center but the solid cement block?
    Last edited by hobbs; 11-08-2006 at 11:25 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    As long as you have a level surface for the tank to sit on, no problems.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    The stands I see for sale are 28 inches high. By the time I put a 24 inch tank on it, I can't reach inside the darned thing. The stand I bought from WalMart is 21 inches high and just the right height. I may have to break down and visit some fish stores?
    Last edited by hobbs; 11-09-2006 at 04:26 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   buy a new heater - hobbs   For going off to fight for our country - Drumachine09   I just wanted to get myself a little something nice. - Glasstapper   

0 Not allowed!
    How many blocks? That is one heavy stand, for sure. If you don't want them to show (and your floor can support the weight) you could always put some material or like a curtain in front.

I think cement is expensive, though.
    This is my witty and clever signature. You like? :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't cement them together...just stack them. I don't know what I'm doing. Just keep thinking of different things to save some money.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hobbs-

Here’s a link for DIY stands, both wood and with concrete blocks.

http://www.thekrib.com/TankHardware/stands.html

A simple stand using concrete blocks would be to use the blocks as the “legs” for the sides, and the center if it’s a long tank. The legs would span the depth of the tank. Place 2”x4’s across the legs to support the front and back of the aquarium and then plywood over the 2”x4”s. The aquarium’s front and back edges should rest directly over the 2”x4”s. To dress this up, you could probably attach plywood "doors" for the front and panels for the sides to the 2"x4"s to hide the concrete blocks land paint them black or stain them.

Have fun making your new stand. :)
    Kevin

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    That definately sounds better than a solid block frame all the way around. I can just see me hauling all that block into my apartment building. NOT! You know.......I have two sons that are both builders but getting a stand made from either of them takes an act of Congress. They work about 14 hour days and that leaves no time for ma's projects.

I am definately looking into your idea but I don't want it to look too stupid. It would sure take away from the looks of the whole thing. One of the plans showed a 3-sided box that could slide right up to it and make it look like a sold piece.

Since I'm a female, my "tools" consist of a hammer, two screwdrivers, one box of assorted nails, a roll of duct tape and a measuring tape. :)

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    If it's the 2d plan from the top you're talking about Hobbs, I didn't realize that it had rollers and could slide away from the tank and the stand. That is a nifty idea.
    Kevin

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

0 Not allowed!
    I have seen this done and looks really good. Personally I think it looks even better unpainted but that is up to you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Man what an idea huh? I hadn't read that part either.

The blocks would not have to be painted either. Just the thingie that slides infront of it.