· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default black moor with swim bladder problem.

0 Not allowed!
    ive got a black moor that is constantly upside down or on his side. its been happening after he eats for awhile now and i just thought its been constipation, but for the past 3 days hes constantly been like that. and i really feel bad for the little guy because when i was just rearranging some rocks he would come up to my hand and nibble on it and let me pet him. what could i do to cure this?
    10g with 5 goldfish. i know they will need at least a 55g im working on it

20g planning to put my goldies in, still havent set it up yet

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Get some frozen peas, not canned. Put some in a cup of tank water and microwave them till they are warm. Pop the peas from the skins and feed the moor the peas for a couple of days. Should clear it up.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also because fancy goldfish are very deep bodied fish all their internal ograns are smooshed together. If they eat too much or get food stuck in their intestines it will press against the swim bladder so it can't inflate or deflate. This is why you get sinkers or floaters. Usually the peas will clear it up, although I have a calico fantail that was born with a deformity that has chronic swim bladder problems that peas can't help much. I've also heard excess nitrates in the water can give swim bladder like symptoms and seeing as you have lots of messy goldfish in that tank you might want to try a 50% water change. Hope that helps!

Awards Showcase

Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa 
    The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime 
    Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog Cheers - Cliff 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    My big fantail had some major swim bladder issues...it finally cleared up last April when I moved him to the 55g...

...he had room to swim and I think getting the exercise made a huge difference. He's still not entirely normal, but you have to watch him to notice...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    after the peas and a little less food the situation for my moor is worse. my big feeder was tearing off his tail fins. i was at school the baseball but luckily my mom noticed. hes still having the swim bladder problems but more than half of his tail is gone. im guessing my feeder did this to him because he was weak, and as we all no animals prey on the weakest. hopefully he recovers but hes just floating in my quarantine tank, and upside down from the swim bladder disease.
    10g with 5 goldfish. i know they will need at least a 55g im working on it

20g planning to put my goldies in, still havent set it up yet

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, this is probably a really stupid question, but what type of peas work best? We have some frozen black-eyed peas in the freezer... Would those be okay after being boiled and mashed?

Awards Showcase

Tanks for sharing our hobby - Boertjie Congrats on new tank and severum - Lady Hobbs for rescuing the betta! - cocoa_pleco For being my life partner - Boertjie for being so good to our underwater friends! - ladyoutlaw50 
    For your new tank - donvichu I love you - Boertjie My fish in my pond..... - Boertjie You have my heart - Boertjie You are my treasure - Boertjie 
    Supermama - for the queen of fry x - Fishalicious Pumping love for you - Boertjie Just because :) - SkinnyChicken Sorry about Roger - Boertjie Sorry for the loss of Roger! - Fishalicious 
    a toast to your new home - Lady Hobbs here's to the new home! - ladyoutlaw50 Love you - Boertjie Love - Boertjie I love you. - Boertjie 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Gemstone 

0 Not allowed!
    I reckon a pea is a pea...no matter what strain..so yeah...should work.

0 Not allowed!
    I've figured out my goldfish don't like black-eyed peas. Somebody needs to tell those guys beggars can't be choosers!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My black moor seems to float at the top of his tank. He is right side up and swims down but then seems to float right back up. I am going to try giving him peas as suggested above but I am wondering how many to give at a time, one a day?
    Thanks!