· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Smile First time fish owner

0 Not allowed!
    Hello, everyone. I am from Wisconsin. I am very new to owning fish. Actually, my son owns the fish tank. It was a gift for Christmas.
    He got a 10 gal. acrylic where the top is fused on and only the very point of the top opens.
    We've been having so much fun, after the saddness of cycling! We are learning as we go and have made mistakes, but we already want a bigger tank!

We have a problem, though. The tank is leaking out of the upper corners. It seems to be condensating and running down the sides.

We'd like another acrylic tank, a 30 gallon, perhaps. I've been looking on all the sites.
    I thought I wanted an Eclipse system, but it seems from the reviews, it does the same thing! Any suggestions?

I look forward to reading and learning from all of you!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just a regular gift! - Rue   Wheres all your gifts JB?!  Heres another one! - MeganL3985   for a buddy - smaug   Welcome back - sailor   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jbeining75   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to AC treetrunk... Try to resilicone the top edges of the tank to see if it is leaking or just condensation....
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    Mistakes are part of the learning process, unfortunately. All of us have experienced them.

Initial advice--NO impulse purchases for fish. Research first!

Welcome aboard!
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    welcome.In the long run you will be much better off buying a quality glass tank,acrylics scratch very easily when there is a youngster involved.Do your research and search this sight often for all your answers.Good luck with your new tank!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Suprised You Dont Have A Gift Yet!! - MeganL3985   haha chelsea 2-man utd 1 - duce   man united buddy yay - angelcakes   They don't have a Shamrock so here's the next best thing. - Brookfish   Well done on the Angel spawn - Wetpets   

0 Not allowed!
    First of all, welcome, alot of people will have alot of advise for you! Also, the free Aquaruim book on the left might come in handy for you.

I am newer than you to the tank thing, but its addictive!! What kind of fish are you looking to get/ already have!?? You could get advise as to what fish go with other fish. I made the mistake of putting too much purifier in my tank, it killed 12 of my 13 fish, including the BGK. Just don't make that mistake, its a sad & expensive one. Since then, I have been advised that the BGK were no good for my tank, & so have steered clear of them. This site has probably saved another Black Ghost from a crappy life in my tank. I am sure it will come in handy for you too!!

Welcome again, & good luck with the tank!!!
    Ghostknife

250 Ltr (66Gallon US)
    BGK, Sailfin Pleco, Bala Shark, 3 random cichlids (cannot remember their name, they are not typical though), 4 YoYo Loach's, 1 Bristlenose, 11 Rumy nose tetra, 2 Black Widow Tetra,

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the welcomes!
    We have a couple of guppies, a pleco, 2 zebra danios and 6 neons.
    One of the reasons I was leaning toward acrylic is because of reading how it is better for insulation. My son's room is upstairs and it gets pretty cold up there in the winter. We are from Wisconsin, after all. I don't know if that matters with a heater. The tank we have now did fine this winter and it was a nasty one!
    My son is a teenager, but developmentally disabled. It has been such a wonderful thing for us to learn and do together and he is really enjoying his fish. But he would not be hard on a tank like a younger one would.
    Thanks for the opinions, I will take all the advice I can get!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome Back! - Lady Hobbs   Welcome back to AC--again! - jeffs99dime   
    Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - jman   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - jman   

0 Not allowed!
    welcome mate

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

And time for YOUR gifts - Lady Hobbs   another - Lady Hobbs   lol - Lady Hobbs   No Message - Lady Hobbs   have a blue discus! - cocoa_pleco   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - tiggely   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - tiggely   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - tiggely   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sandy_n   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - sandy_n   

0 Not allowed!
    Hello and welcome to AC! I have an eclipse 12 and have previously owned an eclipse 3 and an eclipse 6. NEVER had a problem with leaking. There are positives and negatives with both acrylic and glass. Like smaug said acrylic scratches easier but if you are careful with it that shouldn't be a problem. Glass aquariums weigh a lot more than acrylic (in case that may be an issue for you). My suggestion would be to continue doing research on all the different types of tanks that are available so that you can make a decision that you'll feel confident about and be happy with since you'll have it for a long time. Good luck and keep us posted.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a gift for cheering me up!!! - angelcakes   It's a ribbon stand in! - Rue   for all the frog help thanks mate - angelcakes   A small gift - William   good 2 see you back - angelcakes   

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Hi and welcome to the a.c
    My siter had one of them tanks and had the same problem and this is what we done- we used a peace of kitchen roll lightly damped with olive oil, then we wiped around the bits were the condensation was forming, after use a clean peace of kitchen rool to wipe it clean, this stoped it from happening againe!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It seems that all the acrylic tanks I've looked at have either the hood that overhangs the tank, which is the where my problem is coming from, I think, or they are completely sealed except for the small opening for the light hood.

Do any of you know if they make an acrylic lank with the inside lip that holds a standard hood? The ones I've seen aren't made that way. Is it only possible with a glass tank?