· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Exclamation Proposal: Personal Aquarium Database

0 Not allowed!
    Also good day. As some of you may have noticed, I'm somewhat of a (semi)professional Windows programmer. Not bad for a Mac user. But I digress.

I come to you today not with a finished product, but a concept. It is my aim to create software for aquarium hobbyists to help them keep track of their little friends.

Let me give you the lowdown:

1) Add your aquarium(s) to the database. For each one you can enter such parameters as size and shape, whether it's fresh, salt, or brackish water, whether it's planted, mangrove, or whatever else occurs to me at the time, and of course, other comments.

2) Add your fish to the aquarium. Keep track of add date, initial size, and any other notes you find relevant.
    2a) Individual species information can be stored in the database. Things like adult size, temperament, appropriate pH and temperature, etc. Fish can then be added to any aquarium simply by searching/selecting from a list. Or they can be added impromptu and information can be updated later/never.

3) As time goes on, update the aquarium information with notes such as when a water change was done, when the filter media was replaced, any fish that got sick or died or new fish that were added, or, again, whatever else you find relevant.

4) There will of course be a reporting feature to give you a quick look at things such as recent events before a fish became ill, frequency of cleaning, fish and plant growth, or other things depending how much you enter into the database.

Now, I've nothing to show you currently, but if any of you are familiar with such programs as Shortwave Log or Metalkid's Pokemon Program, the interface will be more or less similar to those.

The software will be developed in .NET. I will aim to use v2.0, which has the highest compatibility of any version available to me. Unfortunately I have no way around this (with my current programming knowledge), so anyone stubborn about updating Windows will likely have no worth to anticipate completion. The database itself will be SQLite, which basically means it can be easily backed up and transferred and no extra software will need to be installed to use it.

I ask now if anyone is already familiar with any existing software like what I imagine. Not that I would be deterred by it, but it would be nice to know what I'm up against.

I do however have three important notes I must make regarding the release of this software:

1) My experience with saltwater can be only accurately described as "zero", so the program will (initially) be freshwater-centric. I will rely on the rest of you to help me with saltwater information.

2) I do plan to release this software free of charge, however I may make a "commercial" version which has a number of fish already in the database. In the free version you would have to add fish manually as described in 2a above.

3) I am not getting paid for this (unless I do make the commercial version, but who would actually buy it when there's a free version?), which means it receives the lowest priority of all my projects, including work, love, and life. So don't expect a finished product this month, or likely even this year. But I will try to have something functional as soon as possible.

I bring all this before you to ask for ideas/requests. If you were to use such a database, what sort of features would be helpful to you? Don't be shy about asking anything. If there's some function I cannot implement myself, I will try to find another solution for it.

Five bonus points to anyone who read this far.

I go now to sleep, because it is late and I have to be at the store early in the morning to land the new fish. I will see and reply to any comments tomorrow. Thank you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a drink on me - Dave66   From a fellow BC boy - sailor   For making a great game - Futureboy   thanks for the rep. - robnepper   Congrats on your Gold Award :) - SkinnyChicken   
    Autism - doug z   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - doug z   

0 Not allowed!
    I dunno, Radio..

This is a real niche market, and there's already 2-3 programs out there that have all these features (or most, anyways)..

http://www.aquariogest.net/
    75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN
    25g: 5 long-finned zebra danios

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Im a developer too and mostly into open source, I can help you out too. Doug this can be a free software so all AC members can benefit from it and can also suggest more improvements.
    I would suggest going with something like python, something that would run on any platform, personally Im a linux user so would prefer something in GTK or QT and maybe sqlite for the db.
    Though I dont really like it, we could also do something in Java.

More thoughts from more members can help us getter a better picture here.

Thanks Radio for bringing this up, really looking forward to make this happen ;)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because You Need A Gift - MeganL3985   For Your Green Efforts - MeganL3985   For your great posts! - alfcea   Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea   Thank you for always being willing and quick to help - Gemini   

0 Not allowed!
    Don't need software to keep track of my fish really..

But I'm sure some people will interested, go for it, and see what happens:)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

0 Not allowed!
    You might want to look at aquariumlab (never used but it supposed to be similar) and aquarium doctor that focus on saltwater.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    an online version of this software would be more useful, for example:

you record your setup + fish, and then the db would link to others who have the same fish & maybe a master db, to let you know about common illnesses and such. could be quite an advanced bit of kit. or quite simple,

depends how you design it.

Im a C# .net, C++/C, PHP, VB, (little java),VBA developer for investment banks.

the simplest development would be an Access DB with VBA front/back end. but not very portable.

but i think in terms of userbility & desirability, the online route would be the best one, though more cost involved, as the only reason i would bother, and im sure a lot of others, to fill in a program with my fish details is so that i can share it with others! EASILY.

hense why i keep a log on this site of my adventures with my SW aquarium.

just my thoughts
    Darren.
    5G tank -Red/Purple Male Siamese Fighter(Iain) 3G bowl - female betta
    24 Gallon [Tropical]- 2 Figure 8 puffers (rodd & todd)
    -White Spotted Talking CatFish (Prada) -1 Plecostomus (Chris)
    18 Gallon [Nano Reef] - 10KG Fiji LR
    -2 Percula Clownfish
    -1 Cleaner Shrimp (Mum) -1 Yellow Watchman Goby (Dena)
    -1 Royal Gramma - 1 Flame Hawkfish
    -Red Leg Hermits - Turbo Snails

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nice post - Lady Hobbs   a gift your you! - squirt_12   beautiful blue discus - Algenco   felt like it - Lady Hobbs   for all the help! - squirt_12   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    Would be great to have an open source program like that out there. There are a couple of shareware versions out there. I too am a Linux user and having an open source program would be great. Also, it would be nice with the cross platform availability just like Open Office or Pigin, then the program wouldn't be limited to those of us who like Linux.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dgoulston
    If someone figures out which features they would like to see included I can look into making an online tool like that.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dgoulston

you record your setup + fish, and then the db would link to others who have the same fish & maybe a master db, to let you know about common illnesses and such. could be quite an advanced bit of kit. or quite simple,

depends how you design it.

Im a C# .net, C++/C, PHP, VB, (little java),VBA developer for investment banks.

the simplest development would be an Access DB with VBA front/back end. but not very portable.

but i think in terms of userbility & desirability, the online route would be the best one, though more cost involved, as the only reason i would bother, and im sure a lot of others, to fill in a program with my fish details is so that i can share it with others! EASILY.

hense why i keep a log on this site of my adventures with my SW aquarium.

just my thoughts
    Darren.
    I did think about the online stuff, but the issue as you said would be the massive amount of space and bandwidth needed. But there certainly would be people interested in maintaining a record of things locally. For the others we do have the forums and blogs where you can add these but in any case, a local record of things would be good to have.

Anyway, any one can add the online features necessary in the future ;) after all its open.

So Radio these are the parameters I would like to keep track of:

Tank:
    1. water params datewise - we can generate interesting graphs out of them
    2. No of fish at any point of time
    3. Plants in there
    4. water changes
    5. co2
    6. medications added
    7. fertz added

Fish:
    1. fish name and nos
    2. health - this can actually be a small note or page where we can jot down things
    3. pics/videos

This can be linked to online dbs that can provide us features like the info on and how to care for that particular fish/plant(thanks dgoulston).

What do you say Radio? Others please do give more suggestions, parameters to record and anything else.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by William
    If someone figures out which features they would like to see included I can look into making an online tool like that.
    we were editing paralelly :)
    you can work on the params on my post above and add to it....