· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default How to Purchase a UV sterilizer questions

0 Not allowed!
    I am interested in a UV sterilizer. I will be buying an aqua ultraviolet brand, unless anyone thinks that there is a better alternative. I was wondering if somebody could help me size the sterilizer for my tank parameters.

I will run it inline with my 120 (+5 gallons in the filter plumbing, maximum) fresh water tank. Using a pondmaster 9.5 (950 GPH max). No live plants. Usually does not have problems with green algae; so, the purpose of this sterilizer is merely for killing organisms. I am most worried about ich as my fish seem to have problems with that (on and off).

So, I have been trying to figure out what EOL is (see link below to PDF of tables for FRESH water sizing chart) and whether or not I need a 8 watt or 25 watt unit with my 950 GPH. I am in the process of replacing the pump, so I could always buy a new one with a lower flow rate if that is necessary to achieve better killing via UV (I know that flow rates that are too high decrease efficiency of killing).

I was hoping to get away with the 8 Watt advantage series unit. But i would be OK upgrading to a 25 watt advantage or classic series to get the 30,000 EOL 1200 gph rating. Am I correct in assuming that I will nneed a 25 watt unit because of the speed of my pump is to large (great than) for the 642 that the 8 watt is rated for? Or, is 30,000 EOL high enough for killing most things including ich. I read on one forum that you should aim for an EOL of 75,000. This seems excessive to me, no?

http://www.aquaultraviolet.com/sites...sh%20Water.pdf

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by winset View Post
    I am interested in a UV sterilizer. I will be buying an aqua ultraviolet brand, unless anyone thinks that there is a better alternative. I was wondering if somebody could help me size the sterilizer for my tank parameters.

I will run it inline with my 120 (+5 gallons in the filter plumbing, maximum) fresh water tank. Using a pondmaster 9.5 (950 GPH max). No live plants. Usually does not have problems with green algae; so, the purpose of this sterilizer is merely for killing organisms. I am most worried about ich as my fish seem to have problems with that (on and off).

So, I have been trying to figure out what EOL is (see link below to PDF of tables for FRESH water sizing chart) and whether or not I need a 8 watt or 25 watt unit with my 950 GPH. I am in the process of replacing the pump, so I could always buy a new one with a lower flow rate if that is necessary to achieve better killing via UV (I know that flow rates that are too high decrease efficiency of killing).

I was hoping to get away with the 8 Watt advantage series unit. But i would be OK upgrading to a 25 watt advantage or classic series to get the 30,000 EOL 1200 gph rating. Am I correct in assuming that I will nneed a 25 watt unit because of the speed of my pump is to large (great than) for the 642 that the 8 watt is rated for? Or, is 30,000 EOL high enough for killing most things including ich. I read on one forum that you should aim for an EOL of 75,000. This seems excessive to me, no?

http://www.aquaultraviolet.com/sites...sh%20Water.pdf
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa164

The recommended UV dose for Ichthyophthirius theronts is 100,000 µWsec/cm2 (Hoffman 1974).
    So based on this, with a 950gph pump, you need at least a 40 watt UV. Caveat is that the free swimmers must end up in the UV sterilizer. Some may bypass that and still make it to the fish.

1 Not allowed!
    If you goal is to use a UV to help prevent dieses like ick, then I would suggest using the money you were going to spend on the UV and get a quarantine set-up. More bang for your buck that way.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]