· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Thanks guys!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by reptileguy2727
    Seachem only has a general lake salt for all the lakes because the formula is the same, its the concentrations that change.
    I'll use medication if I have to but I need to find one that doesn't stain the tank...

The gills look a bit red on some of the fish, but they are not all flashing.
    Then again, I am no expert, so what really is red??
    Even the other one that looked bad looks better,
    It seems the longer the light is on the more stressed they get.
    I really don't know what this could be.

Red gills, flashing..I did an Internet search and I am not coming up with much.
    Most articles say if there is no sign of spots or cottony growths, it could be poor water quality, but my water is perfect.
    Other toxins can enter the tank through dirty hands, etc., but I am careful with that too.

What do you think folks?
    How long should I keep the temp up?
    Should I increase salt?
    Should I get a parasite treatment?
    30 gallon salt water tank
    Protein skimmer
    2 power heads
    2 clowns and 3 hermits

Joe C.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    I have found that in general the use of medications is not harmful. I do not avoid them. Considering how unscientific we actually are with diagnositcs and how sure we are of the problem, we might as well use meds if it looks like they will help. I have also found that it is better to use multiple meds rather than wait until the fish is even worse to realize we need to switch to a different med. As long as the meds have different active ingredients you will not overdose or cause other problems, so it is safe to mix them. I mix meds all the time in order to hit the problem hard and I cannot recall a single incident where it seemed like the meds had any adverse effects on the fish. Barron's has a good book on aquarium fish diseases that may help you. After readign that you may see why in general we don't know what we're doing with diseases. Considering their natural ingredients and mild nature, Melafix and Pimafix are great to use at the first sign of anything, even just a scratch in the case of Melafix. In general the stress of any disease can lead to the onset to other diseases and infections, so the use of Pimafix (mainly a fungicide) and Melafix (a bactericide and general healing aid) is beneficial anytime there is a disease present.
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance and Pet Care Company
    Owner: Web Design Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

3. Default OK

0 Not allowed!
    Well,
    After reading your great response, I guess I will head into town and pick up something to help my fish.
    I made note of the 2 products you mentioned.

Thanks again.
    You really have been a great help to me.

When I get in town I am going to get some books on Cichlids, diseases, and anything else I can find.

Cheers!
    30 gallon salt water tank
    Protein skimmer
    2 power heads
    2 clowns and 3 hermits

Joe C.