· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Sick Cichlid - Any Ideas

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe somebody can pinpoint what is wrong with one of my cichlids.
    First, my tank cycled on 11/01/06.
    I did a filter cleaning on 11/4/06 and I was sure not to remove all the media at once.
    I did a 20% water change on 11/5 and everything was fine.
    This afternoon I noticed one of the Albino Socolofi had red gills and was flashing along the bottom, and sometimes just staying alone at the top of the tank. He is eating OK but something is stressing him.
    My water is perfect.
    Nitrites=0
    Ammonia=0
    Nitrates=5 which is acceptable
    PH=8.2
    GH/KH is 75-100.
    All perfect for Cichlids.
    What could be wrong? No fish have any spots so Ich is not a possibility??
    Any ideas???
    I always keep salt in my tank at the rate of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water, and the temp is 80.
    30 gallon salt water tank
    Protein skimmer
    2 power heads
    2 clowns and 3 hermits

Joe C.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Look up gill flukes and see if that sounds right.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

3. Default Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by reptileguy2727
    Look up gill flukes and see if that sounds right.

I checked it out and I guess it could be gill flukes.
    It came on so sudden...Only one fish...

Anyway, it says to add salt which I already have in there, and to raise the temp 4 degrees...

I will try to push the temp to 84 for a week and see what happens.
    I don't suppose that would hurt the others.
    Thanks. I don't mean to be a pest. I should have read more on Cichlids BEFORE I stocked the tank!
    Protein skimmer
    2 power heads
    2 clowns and 3 hermits

Joe C.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They will sometimes scratch their gills. It may not be because something is wrong. If it's gill flukes, the scratching would be constant. Fish get itches too. As far as filter cleaning, you can rinse your filter media with no problems. When you rinse it all you do is get rid of the loose crud. The bacteria adheres to the filter media surface and will be just fine. At times I rinse all my filter media during a tank cleaning. No need to use salt either with your water conditions.

5. Default Thanks CJ

0 Not allowed!
    I usually do clean out the filter gently, I just don't change all the media at one time, and since I use ceramic rings, I never change them at all.

As far as fish scrathing normally, that could very well be the case.
    It came on real sudden.

I don't think raising the temp up 4 degrees would harm the tank. If it is gill flukes, the salt and higher temp would help. whatcha think?
    Protein skimmer
    2 power heads
    2 clowns and 3 hermits

Joe C.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    The salt and higher temp will not hurt the fish and may help the cause, so why not. Do you mean lake salt or general aquarium salt.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

7. Default Salt

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by reptileguy2727
    The salt and higher temp will not hurt the fish and may help the cause, so why not. Do you mean lake salt or general aquarium salt.
    The salt that is in there is aquarium salt.
    I posted before that I cannot find Cichlid salt, all they have is Malawi/Victoria buffer at the moment.
    Is there an actual Malawi salt, or is it Cichlid salt?
    Either way, I have to re-order from a different on line store.
    I can't get it here.
    Protein skimmer
    2 power heads
    2 clowns and 3 hermits

Joe C.

8. Default Getting ready to give up!

0 Not allowed!
    Man,
    The more I do things right, the worse it gets.
    From one fish flashing, now there are 3 or 4.
    No spots, just scratching at bottom.
    It seems to have started the day after the water change.
    I have well water but still use stress coat.
    I have raised the temp to 84 in case it is gill flukes, but I am really getting ready to quit.
    How long should I keep the temp up?

What else can I do besides medicate. I don't want to use medications for various reasons.
    Protein skimmer
    2 power heads
    2 clowns and 3 hermits

Joe C.

0 Not allowed!
    No one wants to use medications if it can be avoided but sometimes it can't and it's the only course of action one can take. I was reading today that skin flukes can be very hard to get rid of so it may be what you have to do.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Seachem only has a general lake salt for all the lakes because the formula is the same, its the concentrations that change.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist