· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Help...Name this Catfish

0 Not allowed!
    I caught a catfish about four or five months ago from a brook where we go Camping. Everyone said it wont surrvive in my tank but of course it did. He/She was about three inches long when I caught it, and it's about six-seven inches now. We love him/her! We just have no Idea what type of catfish it is. So I was just wondering if anyone might know what kind he/she is? Here are a couple Pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paulie

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Check an Audobon Society field guide to freshwater fish. Most likely it gets huge and will need a massive tank or pond.
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance and Pet Care Company
    Owner: Web Design Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

3. Smile Thanks Reptileguy

0 Not allowed!
    I wanted to thank you and also let you know that I went on a mission to find out what type of catfish I have. It was worth it, I seen a post on someone's thread that there was a site called planetcatfish.com so I went there and they were very great with helping me figure out that I have a Brown Bullhead Catfish. (I can't seem to find the thread again to thank the person that posted the website...Duh...anyway, I now know that it will grow up to 20 inches long in the right enviroment and when housed in an Aquarium (not the wild) it needs; pH 6.6 - 7.6, and the Temperature needs to stay between 60.8-78.8F I found out that they can be very tolerant of water with low dissolved oxygen levels. They told me that they(the catfish) like a Larger, open layout aquarium with sand substrateWhat is this? and is it expensive? I think I read somewhere on AC that this can make problems for your tank? Am I better off with keeping the gravel?
    Paulie

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Sand isn't expensive, but can end up causing problems for your filters if the intakes are too close and catch stirred up sand. So it is up to you if you want to pull out all the gravel or not.
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance and Pet Care Company
    Owner: Web Design Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

5. Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    ok cool, I havn't decided yet I might Try it out Hubby says no but I like the way it looks...btw this has been Paulie's wife Bonnie I don't have my own account on here so I just use his ... lol...Thanks again Reptileguy .
    Paulie

6. Default little bit of info

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by paulie
    I caught a catfish about four or five months ago from a brook where we go Camping. Everyone said it wont surrvive in my tank but of course it did. He/She was about three inches long when I caught it, and it's about six-seven inches now. We love him/her! We just have no Idea what type of catfish it is. So I was just wondering if anyone might know what kind he/she is? Here are a couple Pictures.
    I am not sure of the name, but I have also caught one of them before. They can get very big, i caught one that was 10lbs. I tried to keep one and it lasted for a few years and then died. So I would not get to attached

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hey

thats deffinitely a bullhead. its either a brown or a yellow. it should only reach about 12-14". i believe the largest ever recorded was about 5 lbs.

swithboard, the one you caught was probably a flathead or a blue, they look pretty similar and reach large sizes. (like 100 lbs).

what size (dimensions) is your tank. as catfish are primarily bottom feeders, it is surface area and not volume that they require. if this guy reachs about 12"- 14", the tank should be about 24"x48". get a medium grain sand and you will be fine. if you are having problems with sand in the pump, you can wrap the end of the filter wand in thin gauze. make sure it does not impede the intake much and change the gauze as needed. this should keep sand out of the impeller.

its true most catfish don't require lots of oxygen, but it can't hurt to give it to them. anything else in the tank will probably require oxygen as well. speaking of other tankmates, this guy will prbably try to eat anything smaller than him in the tank (just keep that in mind).

good luck and keep us posted, ide love to see his progress.

newt