· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Smile Hello to my new fish buddies

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone my name is Lisa. I am new to this experience and am looking to all of you for great advice. I have a 55 gallon tank and equipment that was given to me and I am learning all of the things that I need to do before I put fish into it. I know that I did one thing right and did not buy fish right off the bat. I have talked to many of the local fish experts but sometimes you feel that you are taking up too much of their time. So that is why I thought about joining a forum, (not to mention one of them told me to do it) :)
    I live north of Dallas, TX and am looking forward to getting to know y'all.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

RAK - DemonShark   CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs   for new bed - Lady Hobbs   for new wife - Lady Hobbs   to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco   

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Lisa!welcome aboard, you've came to the right place,plenty of knowledgeable fishaholics here
    As I get older I find myself thinking about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

AC's Free Aquarium Ebook

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats!!!!! - Gayle   Congrats on your degree! - fins_n_fur   Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    welcome. Thats why i love forums too. Fish stores are always too crowded and i feel like i'm bugging them asking questions or being put on the spot when asked what i need.

You're in the right place. If you ask too many questions those who get tired of you can just not click on the thread. But usually that doesn't happen.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nomination - Cliff   Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff   No Message - cer   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor   Autism - sailor   

0 Not allowed!
    Hiand welcome to a great forum and community
    Sailor

Aye Aye

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    That is nice to know.... I know I will have lots of questions. I will be going tomorrow for my first 5 fish. I have had the chemicals in the water for about 4 days and I will be taking a sample with me for them to check. Wish me luck!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a drink on me - Dave66   From a fellow BC boy - sailor   For making a great game - Futureboy   thanks for the rep. - robnepper   Congrats on your Gold Award :) - SkinnyChicken   
    Autism - doug z   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - doug z   

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Lisa, I'm sure I speak for us all when I say we're chomping at the bit to steer you in the right direction and into a life-long aquarist!!

Welcome to the forum!

Let me ask you:

What chemicals are you referring to?

Seachem Stability, I assume?

Do you have a test kit, for testing the water parameters (Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)?

What kind of fish are you getting?

What type of food?

What equipment do you have for the tank?
    Last edited by doug z; 04-09-2008 at 03:24 AM.
    75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN
    25g: 5 long-finned zebra danios

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    as far as the chemicals it is Aquasafe and Kent pH neutral controller. I have also put some salt in to help with the water hardness. My water is VERY hard. When I put the pH neutral controller in it turned my water cloudy for 2 days. Talked to the fish store and they said add salt. so I did and it cleared up. I am not sure what fish I will get tomorrow. Do you have any suggestions? Yes I have test kits for all the water parameters. Lucky for me that was all given to me with the aquarium. The filters that I have going are a Penguin biowheel 200 and a top fin 60. I don't know how I lucked into all my equipment and chemicals but what can I say I have great neighbors. Sorry if I did not say it before my neighbor gave me the 55 gal tank, equipment and chemicals. The only thing that they did differently is they had a saltwater tank and I am doing a freshwater. I cleaned everything really well with vinegar and then rinsed it very well. (that was what I was told to do by the fish store)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a drink on me - Dave66   From a fellow BC boy - sailor   For making a great game - Futureboy   thanks for the rep. - robnepper   Congrats on your Gold Award :) - SkinnyChicken   
    Autism - doug z   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - doug z   

0 Not allowed!
    Aquasafe.... Do you have a link? Never heard of it..

Salt.. I hope the fish you are thinking of getting are ok with salt!! :(

Most are not!

There are safer ways to reduce the hardness of your water and adjust the pH..

Adding a pH controller chemical and salt isn't one of them.. :(

They are temporary solutions to a long term problems..

Please do me a favour and dump the water in your tank, and rinse it clear of the salt..

Better ways to reduce pH :

Add driftwood to your tank (will turn the water a tea colour, though)

Add peat to your filter (what kind do you have?).. Will also discolour the water..

Get a pressurized C02 system (big $$$)

For hardness:

Buy R/O (reverse osmosis) water (the water you get in the big jugs at the supermarket, and mix it with tap water until you get your desired pH..

Get a pressurized C02 system (big $$$)

Now, how high IS this pH?

best thing to do is get fish that are ok with that pH, rather than try to change it..

As for adding fish, unless you get the Seachem Stability I mention, and give it 3-4 days, following the directions, you will not be able to get fish tomorrow..

Better to do a fishless cycle (do a search on this forum), even..

But if you are dead set on adding fish quickly..

Good starter fish?

I can't know what you like, but hardy fish, like guppies, zebra danios, barbs, and bottom feeders like bristlenose plecos and corydoras julii are good begginer fish..

But even using the Seachem Stability, you can only add a few fish at a time, so the filters have a change to build up the bacteria needed to break down the Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates (the nitrogen cycle)..
    Last edited by doug z; 04-09-2008 at 04:14 AM.
    75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN
    25g: 5 long-finned zebra danios

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

time for a gift? - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    hi, welcome to AC.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just a regular gift! - Rue   Wheres all your gifts JB?!  Heres another one! - MeganL3985   for a buddy - smaug   Welcome back - sailor   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jbeining75   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to AC Lisa!!!!!!!
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."