· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Filtration pros/cons......

0 Not allowed!
    The debate is on. Which is the best? Which is the worst? Why do we use different types of filters for different types of fish? What filter is best for my specific tank setup? In this post we will discuss the three main filtration types. What are the pros and cons to each? What is best for a specific tank setup? The areas covered will be mostly for freshwater tanks as saltwater tanks use a more complex system of filtration often including sumps and overflows that a normal freshwater tank would not include.

So first what are the most common types of filtration? The most uncommon and sometimes considered obsolete form of tank filtration is the under gravel filter system. The second is probably the most common type of filtration system used in general aquariums today, the hang on back or power filter. The final type of commonly used filter would be the canister filter, which mostly are used with larger tanks but some prefer to use them on all tanks.

The under gravel filtration system usually consists of a system of one or two plates that are rigged and are set under the gravel when first setting up the tank. The corners of the plate/plates have predrilled holes in them big enough to fit a piece of clear or colored piping on it that will run vertically up the tank and connect into power heads. The power heads suck water through them at their rated speed and create a siphon in the gravel pulling all suspended material down into the gravel. The pros of an under gravel system are that suspended particles are usually pulled down into the gravel keeping the overall tank appearance very clean and free of debris. That is about the only pro with the system. The disadvantages highly out number the advantages. The disadvantage to these systems are they are virtually impossible to run with sand or any fine particle substrate as it will end up being sucked through the plate and into the power heads. Another disadvantage is that the gravel commonly does not hold enough bacteria to sustain a full cycle and keep the decomposing waste and food particles from creating higher levels of ammonia and nitrites. The gravel needs to be vacuumed on a very rigorous schedule to completely remove the debris left behind since it is always pulled into the gravel. The biggest disadvantage to under gravel filtration is there is virtually no media choice available.

The hang on the back or power filter is the most common filter used for recreational aquarists as it is widely accessible, cheap and come in many different variations. The most common quality hobs include Aquaclear, Tetra Whisper, and Marineland Emperor and Penguin series filters. There are other options available like Top Fin, Aqua Tech, and various other brands but these often include less media options than the higher quality hobs. HOB filter pull water from an intake tube that is user adjustable with attachments. The water is pulled up the intake by a propeller and sent into the filtration hold in the filters. Different hobs have different filter media options. The Aquaclear series has more media options than other hob filers. It’s mechanical filtration stage is a sponge, then a carbon bag or most prefer just loading it with biomax (ceramic rings). If you have ammonia problems you can also load the aquaclears with ammonia remover bags as media. Whisper and Marineland filters usually have less media capacity and include pre-made carbon filters. However, biobags can be purchased and stuffed with whatever filter media the user prefers. The cheap price, numerous filter media options, and low energy use make the hobs the most commonly used filtration system. The only real disadvantage to hobs is in a planted tank scenario where little water flow on the surface is required to keep needed CO2 in the water.

The final filter option would be canister filters. Canister filters are often used on larger tanks and by aquarists who have a general preference for them. They are external filters and generally set beside or under the tank and are used commonly in aquariums that are meant to be viewed from both sides. The sleek intake and return tubes allow for the front and back to be viewed where a hob would block the view from either side. Canisters pull water through an intake and into the canister. Once in the canister the water is filtered in a 3 stage process as the hob. First stage is mechanical filtration which is usually a sponge or some type of fiber material. The second stage is the chemical stage which generally would include carbon or for most ceramic rings. The third stage is the alternate chemical stage and again would be ceramic rings, biomax or some even use a high polishing fiber to keep the water crystal clear. The advantages to a canister filter are external filtration so no visual blocks on the tank, they are generally larger than hobs so they can carry way more filter media allowing for more bacteria development on the media and decreasing the risk of recycles, and last they allow attachments of spraybars which allow controlled movement of water streams by the user. The only real disadvantage to canisters is the initial cost of the unit.

As for overall performance the canister may be a higher stability filter but if you have adequate filtration on your tank with hobs you should not be able to tell the difference. The best bang for their buck will be the hob as the cost for a high performance hob that filters around 100 gallons would be $60. For a canister that will filter 100 gallons general price range will be $150-$200. At the end of the day it is user preference and what has worked the best for them though. Hopefully this will help out a little.
    Last edited by jbeining75; 04-05-2008 at 10:41 PM.
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    grr.... I can't get it to format correctly.... sorry guys..... hmm thats a little better.... Feel free to add suggestions please....

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Excellent, filter type evaluation. I will add one more thought that works with the HOB's and Canister, and that is to have a bio-wheel on the output end. Creates good surface agitation and adds a large amount of surface area for bacteria.

0 Not allowed!
    You should add that filters never filter what they claim to and nearly always a second filter is needed. A Penquin 350 or an Emperor 400 will not be enough for a 55 gallon tank and probably 2 of each would be necessary.

0 Not allowed!
    Good write up.

In england its like this;
    Canisters are very expensive even small ones.
    There is no HOBS
    so i have to go with internals

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp
    Wanted: More CPD's and Loaches.
    Keep updated with my fish world in my Blog! And my tanks Blog!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    You should add that filters never filter what they claim to and nearly always a second filter is needed. A Penquin 350 or an Emperor 400 will not be enough for a 55 gallon tank and probably 2 of each would be necessary.
    I could do pages on filters but it would be too long and noone would read it....

Sumps / Sponge / Natural Filtration in salt tanks w/lr/ls/skimmer/ etc.etc.etc. Last time I posted long everyone said shorten lol....

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, someone should add a review on internal filters...

You can buy them in N.A. as well...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How about Wet/Dry? In my opinion, the only kind of filtration.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How about DIY? If you're a handy person with some tools you can make a way better filter then any of the consumer level stuff.

I'd like to know more about those baffled plexiglass box filters though. They seem like an interesting option. Are they any more efficient- in terms of maintenance then a canister?

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey