· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

Default Emmersed Anubias

0 Not allowed!
    This works! I've been wanting to try my Anubias emmersed as I read they grow faster and bigger emmersed. I don't want to empty a tank to try it so today I took a wire, put it across the top of my tank and have my Anubias attached to it.......roots in the water and leaves out.

Gonna give it a try. Thinking also of trying to use something that I can just cut holes in and stick the roots into that and allow it to just float on top the water. Idea?
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 04-04-2008 at 07:42 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a gift,gravel partner LOL - angelcakes   You need a beer :) - siymdapolio   hehe - Tolley   have a gift - mitcore   have a discus! - cocoa_pleco   
    Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - siymdapolio   

0 Not allowed!
    Nice Lady Hobbs! you need to post pics and tell me how that goes I LOVE ANUBIAS!!!! that sounds awesome
    Alex

Don Juan Matus My true hero and many more

My Photos

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a gift,gravel partner LOL - angelcakes   You need a beer :) - siymdapolio   hehe - Tolley   have a gift - mitcore   have a discus! - cocoa_pleco   
    Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - siymdapolio   

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm that sounds like a great idea but would have no idea what I would poke holes into. What I would do would not poke holes into the plastic or something but have a Cross for the plant to sit on.. This would allow the roots to fall better.

Unless I am totally thinking about something else that is what i would do
    Alex

Don Juan Matus My true hero and many more

My Photos

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks very much for helping me and sticking with me till the end. lol - squirt_12   For your new baby girl! - gm72   **Congrats On Your New Baby **  : ) - MeganL3985   Congrats!!! - Hailey   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   
    Autism - country_boy454   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - country_boy454   

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking of doing this exact thing. When I get a few more leaves on my anubias I was going to split it up into two plants and grow one immersed and one submersed.
    20g long 84w, fluorite, planted, 5 Habrosus Corys, MTS, pair of Clown Pleco (L104)
    20gal tall: home to 10 brevis. Letting them pair off then will put the rest into the 55.
    55g empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the A.C fellow Dutchy  xxxx - Fishalicious   Happy Valentines Day xxx - Fishalicious   thanks for the nomination :) - shalafi04   thanks for the tubes!!! - sharkbite   Hope your little gal is better soon xxxx - Fishalicious   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Gonna give it a try. Thinking also of trying to use something that I can just cut holes in and stick the roots into that and allow it to just float on top the water. Idea?
    Call me a nutjob, but what about chicken wire across the top of the tank--Maybe a bad idea, but it's Friday and had a loooonnnnggg week . You may have to attach the plants to it, but I can't think of anything that you could poke holes in...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nice post - Lady Hobbs   a gift your you! - squirt_12   beautiful blue discus - Algenco   felt like it - Lady Hobbs   for all the help! - squirt_12   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    Great idea Hobbs. Just be aware that if you ever do decide to submerse them again you will likely lose all the emersed leaves you had. Plants that can grow submersed or emersed have 2 different kinds of leaves for their given environment.
    I like the wire ideal. Not sure what you could try for floating. Have you considered getting a piece of driftwood that is tall enough to attach the anubia to it and have the leaves out of the water.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs   Have a beer on me - sailor   Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75   happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes   Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    Seems lile the tact ur taking is the hydroponic route, get strawberry baskets(from the supermarket) and fill them with marbles and the roots will grow down and around the marbles, also put the baskets in a place where the current is strongest, in a fish tank that would probably mean near the filter. Anything like the baskets + marbles will work, if you have the money u can buy stuff thats made for it at the hardware store, but its basically the same idea just costs more. Really the "best" thing to do would be use two power heads to cycle the water in and out and make a Shoot out of a rectangular plastic box so the water rushes through it, put it next to ur tank and then put the baskets in there. Hope that helps

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nice post - Lady Hobbs   a gift your you! - squirt_12   beautiful blue discus - Algenco   felt like it - Lady Hobbs   for all the help! - squirt_12   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    May want to move the thread to the Rhizome forum Hobbs. :)

Great ideas there turkey but I suspect Hobbs would rather a but more natural look.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Hard to think of something right now that won't block the light to plants below. It almost has to be something to lay across the tank brace at the front with the plant lights behind. Seems like just a rigid piece of plastic would work but not something as rigid as plexiglass. I will see what I can think.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    A couple pieces of fishing line may work. You could run 2 of them the length of the tank and then set the Rhizome crossways on them.