· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Default A Guide to Lushious Stems

0 Not allowed!
    Have you ever looked at a beautiful dutch setup and wondered how they got that beautiful look out of something as common as Rotalla roundifollia? How did they get those stem plants to look so full and rich? Well, it doesn't happen overnight, it takes time and work.
    Achieving that nice full look from your stem plants requires 2 types of pruning. First, you will need to trim the tops of the plants and snip each new branch close (how close depends on how full a look you want. As you cut each of these it will cause the plant to branch. The more you cuts you make the more they will branch. After a short time you can have 10-20 branches coming from the main stem. Second, to maintain this nice rich full look, trimming from the bottom will become necessary. To do this you pull the plant out from the roots and trim the necessary amount from the bottom of the plant and then replace it in the substrate. Finally, you will reach a point where you simply have too many plants to maintain the look. At this point it will become necessary to dispose of some of the stocks. here's where you get a chance to cover some of your costs. You can sell these plants online or to local hobbyists. Some stores may even be interested in taking some of them. However if none of those are an option please be sure to dispose of them properly. Some of the plants we keep can survive in our native habitats and can be invasive species. Be sure the plants are disposed of in a method that ensures that this will not happen.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I dont have small enough snips for that kind of pruning! I'll be sure to add it to my list of things to buy when i get my tax refund!
    -75g FW community, planted
    -10g FW guppies, planted
    -44g Terrarium, tree frog, various plants.

0 Not allowed!
    Great Guide GB! That was really helpful. So will this method work with any stem plant?? How do you know when to prune the plant?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by squirt_12
    Great Guide GB! That was really helpful. So will this method work with any stem plant?? How do you know when to prune the plant?
    whatever height you want the plant, thats your first cut.
    -10g FW guppies, planted

0 Not allowed!
    It will work for most stem plants. Ammania Gracillis doesn't seem to branch by pruning but for many stems it will work
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    How about something like red ludwigia?? How far down would you have to prune it in order for it to become bushier??

0 Not allowed!
    That one is my problem plant. Looks OK and grows like crazy but gets long and leggy with tiny leaves at the bottom. Cut it off, grows again, and tiny leaves at the bottom again. Maybe I need to trim more often?
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 04-04-2008 at 02:13 AM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by squirt_12
    How about something like red ludwigia?? How far down would you have to prune it in order for it to become bushier??
    red lugwigia (ludwigia repens, right?) would work great.
    -10g FW guppies, planted