· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Ludwigia

Default Red Ludwigia

0 Not allowed!
    So I have been thinking of putting some red ludwigia in my 33g tank but I don't know if it will grow or not.
    I have 2 27w fluorescent bulbs. giving my 1.6wpg. I can do C02. I would just do the DYI one though.
    I have roughly 1.5-2.5" of gravel.

About the C02. If I had a whisper HOB running in the tank. With the rippling of the surface...that would let the C02 escape wouldn't it??

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah the surface aggitation removes the co2.

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp
    Wanted: More CPD's and Loaches.
    Keep updated with my fish world in my Blog! And my tanks Blog!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Any surface aggitation is going to add oxygen and deplete the co2 levels. Try some fert spikes in the gravel by the plant and use flourish or flourapride. Something to give it added nutrients. If it is an established tank there should also be some goodies in the gravel it can live on... The lighting is a little weak to grow but maybe the gravel with fert it will. I am growing Amazon swords no problem on a light with one 10000k daylight and a 6700k plant bulb. It is 2 X 27 I believe, so around 1 wpg. My swords are working. What type of lights are on there t5 10000k or 6700k corallife plantmax bulbs would work great. The diy co2 would definetely help. I am thinking of doing one myself for my 55 gallon with my texas cichlid. Good luck Squirt
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

0 Not allowed!
    I have 6400k on each bulb.

But if the surface is going to be moved around...there wouldn't be any point in having the C02 would there???

EDIT - I also have a sword plant in there that is growing great, crypts (sp?), and some Hygrophilia Polysperma.

0 Not allowed!
    it would only help the plants a bit. You'd see the big difference if you stop using the hob.

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    You know, I have ludwigia and no matter what I have managed to kill, the ludwigia does the best. It just goes and goes. It gets a bit leggy so I cut off the top several inches, stick it back in the substrate and that takes right off too.

I have 130 watt on my 55 gallon and it does good and 56 on my 20 gallon and that does well there too. It will do OK in less light like I have but just not get as red. You want to trim it back, tho, as that makes it fuller.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolley
    it would only help the plants a bit. You'd see the big difference if you stop using the hob.
    yeah..I have been told many times I should switch to canister. I will eventually. lol.

Hobbs...thats good to hear. I have grown it before. I had it in my 10g with like 2wpg and it grew amazing. I think I will get some and just try and see how it goes.

0 Not allowed!
    I think it would be just fine. As for the CO2 issue, the surface aggitation will gas off CO2, but it is doing that now. You will seem a small benefit to adding it simply because it's not going to gas it all off. It's really up to you if you use it or not, it's not a required thing. You might try using Excel as a carbon suppliment instead.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Go for it. You can still find lots of plants that will thrive in your lighting without the co2. Good Luck!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I will get some and see how it does. I am having pretty good luck with the plants that I have now in there. I will just make a DIY C02. It should give the plants some more C02.
    Thanks for the info.

EDIT - how much should I make?? C02?? Like how big of a bottle for a 33g tank??