· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have java moss in a ten gallon with common light, no co2, and only add florapride and 1 plantabbs once a month and it grows a good 3/4" plus in a month. I am constantly thinning it out. I have it in all my tanks now. About 6 months ago I started with a golf ball size portion of it. Just last week I took two baseball size clumps out of the ten gallon.
    20g long 84w, fluorite, planted, 5 Habrosus Corys, MTS, pair of Clown Pleco (L104)
    20gal tall: home to 10 brevis. Letting them pair off then will put the rest into the 55.
    55g empty

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In a low tech tank (no added fertilizer, no CO2, no extreme lighting) Java moss will grow but not super fast. I experienced 3 different cases:

a) My 10G tank is against an inside wall in a room whose windows face north.
    1.8W/gal lighting on for 5.5 hours a day and 74F. The Java moss tied to my rock took 6 months before it started to grow noticeably. However, it was always green and nothing died (turns brown and threadlike). It is now 10 months in and I have only had to trim it once.

b) I also have some java moss in a jar of water by a window (lot's of daylight,no direct sun). This moss grows noticeably faster and looks lighter green. It is kind of my Java moss farm. I'd say it doubles in mass every 2 months.

c) At work I had a vase on my desk with Java moss in it. My cubicle is lit by energy saving fluorescent tubes and the lights turn off automatically when everyone goes home. The moss there slowly died: strands started to turn brown and became little brown threads, (for a mental image of this, think about how people get white hair).

Main point. If your moss stays green, don't sweat it and just let it grow.
    If it starts to turn brown then it is dying.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My Java Moss has always seemed to do fairly well. I have about 3WPG in my 10G, and it does great. No CO2 injection, nothing fancy or special. Its a deep emerald green, and it has very bright, light green growing tips so I know its growing. Its also getting slowly, visibly bigger. The tank does get alittle direct sun for maybe an hour a day at most, and the room is fairly bright with 1 south and 1 west facing window.

But in all the years I have had Java Moss in tanks, Ive never done anything special for it or to it. It just seems to do fine on its own. Then again, everyone that knows me says I have a "green body". I prefer to call it a super green thumb, or hand even, but I have some "magic touch" w/ plants, and they almost always THRIVE for me. I guess maybe that transfers over to aquatic plants too. I only had a couple of aquatic plants croak on me. I cant remember what they were, but their leaves just kind of "melted" away.

Anyway, not sure what help i can offer you here, other than be patient, java moss tends to be a slower grower, especially in lower light conditions. Most plants labled as "low light" applied to plants is somewhat of a misnomer. Most plants that are tagged this way are not ACTUALLY low light preferring. The term "low light" really means that the plant will tolerate, and survive in lower light conditions. That does not mean those conditions are ideal for the plant, and that they will grow and thrive in those conditions. However, they likely will not die o n you either.
    Tank1) 10G-Partially plant, Comm Tank. Topfin 10G Biobag Filter, small airstone. Some plastic plants for now. Lots of Java Moss on bridge like lavarock, 1 mini Sword in pot, floating clump of Riccia, water sprite, both floating and planted. 2-14W CFL's "Daylight". 3 WPG.
    6 Danios (4 zebra,2 Leopard)
    3 Albino Cory Cats
    3 Otos

Tank2) 2.5 G Betta Tank. Tiny Tetra Whisper filter w/ airpump. Java Moss,floating water sprite, Riccia Fluitans. Male Crowntail Betta. 1 Small gold mystery snail

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    is it true that java moss thrives in high nitrate biotype?

0 Not allowed!
    You're right DC. I have Java in a 10g with moderate lighting and it doubles in size every month. I recently took out 2 very large portions and threw them in my Silver Dollar tank. Something that I observed with Java is that in hard water conditions it seems to be a darker green then in soft water and it tends to be somewhat slower growing.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

RAK - DemonShark CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs for new bed - Lady Hobbs for new wife - Lady Hobbs to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs 
    To get bigger house? - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the shrimp!! They ROCK! - richberstler My Hero - Lady Hobbs guess what this is for?  LOL - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the plant help!!! Rep coming too!!! - jbeining75 
    Sorry for the loss.. Hope you feel better Gene!! - jbeining75 Thanks for becoming a mod - William Congratulations on Moderator Status! - Tolley To your Modship - Lady Hobbs thanks - mitcore 
    Keep your chin up. Your wife is in our prayers. - ILuvMyGoldBarb Thinking of you during this difficult time x - Fishalicious Your wife deserves a treat! - Rue No Message - Algenco No Message - Algenco 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco 

0 Not allowed!
    Java moss is a great plant,tough, adaptable, and easy to grow.Interesting how its color, growth rate, and structure varies with different conditions.
    I'm pulling most of mine out now and replacing with fissiden fontanus I really like the look, if only it wasn't so expensive
    As I get older I find myself thinking about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

AC's Free Aquarium Ebook

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Algenco
    Java moss is a great plant,tough, adaptable, and easy to grow.Interesting how its color, growth rate, and structure varies with different conditions.
    I'm pulling most of mine out now and replacing with fissiden fontanus I really like the look, if only it wasn't so expensive

Im jealous! You have FLAME moss!!!!! I love that stuff and I cant find it ANYWHERE! Im not one that usually will order plants over the internet either. Just never seemed like a good idea to me. LOL!
    Tank1) 10G-Partially plant, Comm Tank. Topfin 10G Biobag Filter, small airstone. Some plastic plants for now. Lots of Java Moss on bridge like lavarock, 1 mini Sword in pot, floating clump of Riccia, water sprite, both floating and planted. 2-14W CFL's "Daylight". 3 WPG.
    6 Danios (4 zebra,2 Leopard)
    3 Albino Cory Cats
    3 Otos

Tank2) 2.5 G Betta Tank. Tiny Tetra Whisper filter w/ airpump. Java Moss,floating water sprite, Riccia Fluitans. Male Crowntail Betta. 1 Small gold mystery snail

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok thanks everyone
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
    -- Albert Einstein

The best SouthPark Clips ever
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoficmIg2FQ&NR=1

0 Not allowed!
    I had trouble with moss due to so much algae creeping up on it and it eventaully began dying off. I now have a new batch, put it in my shrimp tank and it is going very, very nicely. It is an algae catcher but I found something to keep it clean really makes a big difference in keeping moss. I wouldn't recommend it for a new setup for that reason.