· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I want cichlids and need help with ??

0 Not allowed!
    I would like to try my hand at cichlids. What I would like is 2 blood parrots, 1 severum and whatever may go with them. A friend keeps her angelfish with them so Mr Ornery Angelfish will need to keep them company.

But I am confused as to what cichlid can go with what. I don't know if New World, Africian or whatever should be purchased. I know the keyhole and the kribs are OK but what about some of the other smaller cichlids that are relatively peaceful? I have read that the German Blue Rams are peaceful as well as the yellow labs and electric blues but I don't know about mixing different region cichlid.

When I do a compatiblity check, it says the German Blue and keyholes are not compatible but both are said to be peaceful.

Can you tell me what cichlids you have and what gets on well with others?

Hey Kimmers.........I now am seeing German Gold Rams online for sale. Pretty. Might be nice with your Blues?

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    what size tank? what filtration? what water change schedule? blue rams are very peaceful and good for a regular community tank, not really with most other cichlids. and african rift lake cichlids should not be mixed with other types of fish. when you hear that labs and electric blues are peaceful, thats on african rift lake standards, not regular standards. in addition to temperment, an important aspect of compatibility is water parameters. if kribs need 7.4 (im not sure what it is off hand) and rams need 6.4, even though they may both be peaceful, they are not compatible.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

0 Not allowed!
    I knew this would be hard. I am a total green horn at cichlids!!

First of all, the parrots and severums may not be such a hot choice. My water comes right from the tap at 7.6 which is not ridiculously high but still higher than these fish like. I am thinking no less than a 55 gallon tank and possibly 75.

I would like to squeek by by using two bio-wheels as filteration on both ends of the tank but may also go with canister. I'd rather not due to space. I'm thinking two of the larger bio-wheels should be plenty?

I just don't know if I should fill the tank with cichlids or try to have my centerpiece fish (severum/blood parrots). My other 55 gallon will be turned into a rainbow tank.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    go with the biggest tank you can afford to properly setup. canisters are a great idea and will be worth it. the biowheels dont have that great of mechanical so between the superior bio of the biwheels, and the superior mechanical and chemical of the fluval 405, your fish should thrive. check out peacock african cichlids. they are a higher pH than your tap (and its much easier to go up than down) and arent as aggressive as the mbunas. with cichlids you are much more likely to have too little than too much (as if there is such a thing) filtration. i would do 2 biowheel filters and a fluval 405.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

0 Not allowed!
    Finding fish that do well with parrots and severums are a problem. I've heard keyhole and kribs do fine with them. Problem, also, is parrots and severums like a lower pH and most other cichlids are higher. I may have to forgo my thoughts on the severum totally due to the pH.

Thanks for your post.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    you need fish that will deal with your tap water's pH and hardness or higher unless you want more work and possibly money to be needed. that pretty much leaves you with the african rift lake cichlids. and the best bet with those are going to be the peacocks. so ditch the other plans and start diving into the peacocks.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you. Will check them out now.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good luck with your cichlid set up, I am sure you will end up with a beautiful tank whichever way you go.

As for adding gold rams to my blues....I don't have the blues any longer. My original male was doing well, but he was not peaceful by any means. He wouldn't tolerate the female rams I purchased for him or a bolivian ram. Unfortunately I believe the 1 female brought with her an internal bacteria and I ended up losing all 3. I didn't quarantine them since they came from the same supplier and I already had my 2 dwarf gourami quarantined as new purchases so I took my chances and lost.
    Kimmer

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by reptileguy2727
    that pretty much leaves you with the african rift lake cichlids. and the best bet with those are going to be the peacocks. so ditch the other plans and start diving into the peacocks.
    OK Then to get the rift lake cichlid, I then need to divide them into each lake such as Victoria, Lake Tanganyika or Lake Malawi?

Man, it's sure easier to get a drawf and throw him in the tank. Learning about cichlids is a whole new ballgame.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    go with malawi. and in that lake are three types of cichlids, mbuna, peacocks, and utakas. out of those go with the peacocks. so start researching and asking qs.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist