help....im a fish killer
hello every1....i need some help. i started my 55gal tank about a month ago and i added 5 long fin tetras, 2 kissing fish, and 7 tigers. well....every thing was going great 4 the first two weeks, then all of them got sick (ick) to make a long story short....none of them made it. i know now that i should haves waited until the cycle was over to add fish......a very costly mistake. now im taking my time by letting my tank cycle. i have a few question though....
1. there is white stuff that is building up on my heater....what is it?
2. there are little white things on my aquarium wall that looks like it is crawling on the glass...what the heck is that?
3. when i take out the blue filter to replace it... it makes my water cloudy....is that bad? (from the residue)
i went to a LFS last week and saw these little "fuzz balls" in the tank. i realized that i had the same type in my tank....what is it?
thanks 4 any help any1 can give me......because i need it....BAD
try to take some pics of the tank. Maybe some of the more experienced people can help you out. I have never experienced any of this, with the exception of the impatience.
Do you have any fish in there at the moment?
The white fuzz, could be some kinda of micro organism. Does it look fungal/bacterial? It's a little hard to tell, but it's not supposed to be in the tank.
Frankly, if you don't have fish in there, give the tank a good cleaning and re-start from scratch. Go for a fishless cycle this time though, that way, no fish deaths and less stress for you (not to mention less money down the toilet).
Give us some more details and maybe some pics of the white stuff.
We're here to help you, and we're a pretty good bunch.
Welcome to the AC.
My AC Fish Gallery:
Another gallery with my fish
21 Gallon - 3 Ornate Tetras, 7 Pencilfish, 1 Oto cat, 7 Amano shrimp, 1 Peckoltia brevis, 1 clown pleco
15 Gallon - 1 clown pleco, 6 threadfin rainbows
10 Gallon - 7 Galaxy Rasboras, 4 Betta rutilans, Cherry shrimp, 1 Hillstream Loach
65 Gallon - Cycling!
A few things--
1. Always research the fish you are going to keep. Not all fish are compatible and some have very specific requirements.
2. White things crawling on the glass--sounds like planaria. Harmless.
3. White stuff on the heater? Need a picture so it can properly be identified.
4. Replacing the blue filter and having some of the filtered particles cloud the tank isn't a big deal. What kind of filter is it?
5. White fuzz balls? Again need a picture.
8 tanks running now:
1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.
yeah i would go with sasquatch on this one just completely start over and do a fishless cycle..
Yea we need some more info to really help much, I agree with both posts above and i would start over from scratch if you dont have fish in the tank already. The only kind of filter i can think of that would be blue off the top of my head would be a sponge filter, so when u move it ur shaking loose the particles that have collected on it. No big deal just make sure u "vaccum" with the hose when u do water changes to get the crud out of there, doing it at the same time you move the filter would probably be the best time
Did you treat the fish for the ich?
75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN
25g: 5 long-finned zebra danios
While you are cycling you shouldn't be replacing the filter media - just leave it be, no cleaning it or anything.
35 Gallon (36" Long) See my tank pics and stats: My Blog
Plants: Amazon Swords, Cabombas, Jungle Vals, Water Wisterias, Java Moss, Java Ferns
Fish: 6 Bronze Cories, 10 Harlequin Rasboras, 3 Sunset Thick-Lipped Gouramis, 4 (tiny) Keyhole Cichlids, 6 Otos, 1 or 2 Ghost Shrimp
Side effects of MTS:
65 Gallon, 10 Gallon, 29 Gallon (all empty or cycling)
1) lime scale like in your kettle (2) that sounds bad and i would start agine (3) when you take out your filter have a jug under it to catch the dirt. Hope this helps