· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For You & Your Cute Babies :) - MeganL3985   Realised I never gave you a gift for helping me with the cards. - William   Wow thanks for the nomination!  I'm flattered! - MandyL   

Default Searching members list by city or state

0 Not allowed!
    I'm one of many new people to the AC who is VERY happy to have stumbled across this place! I've only been here about a week and a half and can't think of much that I would change (bravo to William and all the staff, volunteer contributors, etc.)

One thing I thought of the other day (which may not been a new suggestion) is having a way to search the members list by city or state. I know that if I knew of a few members in my area I might be inclined to get their input on local fish stores or other places near me that carry quality fish, aquarium supplies, people that are willing to board sick fish, etc. Comparing notes of tap water quality, etc. might be nice too.

It's not a huge deal, but if it wasn't too hard to set up it might be something people would use. I know not everyone chooses to include their city and state (or country/providence) in their profiles, but for the ones that do it might be kinda cool.

Like anything, there are potential problems with this too so you'd have to look at the potential "cons" to make sure it's worth doing.

Just thinking out loud...this place is pretty darn solid "as is"

Thanks!
    10 gallon planted
    * 6 Cardinal Tetras
    * 3 Amano Shrimp
    * Java Ferns
    * Anubias Nana
    * Crypto Lutea
    * Cabomba
    * Java Moss

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You deserve a gift ! :) - MeganL3985   For doing research!  BTW...college ;) - Rue   Put him with Bruce.... - jbeining75   Its good to have company - smaug   Thought this might help while your're sick. Hope you feel better soon. - ILuvMyGoldBarb   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Ellen4God   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Ellen4God   

0 Not allowed!
    Great suggestion. It's worth looking into.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For You & Your Cute Babies :) - MeganL3985   Realised I never gave you a gift for helping me with the cards. - William   Wow thanks for the nomination!  I'm flattered! - MandyL   

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Ellen4God...By the way, grats on your Silver Activity Award!
    10 gallon planted
    * 6 Cardinal Tetras
    * 3 Amano Shrimp
    * Java Ferns
    * Anubias Nana
    * Crypto Lutea
    * Cabomba
    * Java Moss

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You're hella cool! - Rocky06fx4   Thank you for your donation! - Tigerbarb   to my new drinking pal ;) - arkie   hope you dont mind...for cara get well soon - angelcakes   My heart goes to Cara - Get well Soon! - Tolley   
    Autism - ZCciVic22   

0 Not allowed!
    It's not a bad idea, IMO. I know when I needed to move my 280gal tank, one of the members who lived near me volunteered his assistance as well. And I know I've had at least a couple people send me pm's regarding local fish stores. Good idea!

BTW, Welcome to the site!
    The former ZCciVic22!

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car; Oversteer is when you hit with the rear. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nomination - Cliff   Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff   No Message - cer   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor   Autism - sailor   

0 Not allowed!
    What a great idea. It could also make it easier for members to meet face to face if they wished.
    Sailor

Aye Aye

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because of you I saved a fish!! - 2manyfish   Thanks for all of the help that you have given me :) - squirt_12   to my new buddy - mitcore   For being you! - NickFish   Here is a hotdog for a good Freind! - Patriot   

0 Not allowed!
    It's a good idea!

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp
    Wanted: More CPD's and Loaches.
    Keep updated with my fish world in my Blog! And my tanks Blog!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   Back at ya - sailor   here's a front for ya - sailor   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - RainMan   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - RainMan   

0 Not allowed!
    Great idea....

I know a lot of forums I belong to have geo region topics. But, with the diversity of this site... it would take a lot of listings to cover the entire globe. :) It never really works either... because you have to go in an introduce yourself.

But, being the geek programmer that I am... it might be difficult because the location in your profile is free hand text.
    100g - Planning - (8 Cyphotilapia gibberosa Mpimbwe - southern lake region)
    45g - Mixed Community of African Cichlids
    29g - Planning - GBR planted tank
    10g - Neolamprologus multifasciatus aka.. Arican Shell-Dweller (Finally found them.. 6 are coming soon)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You're hella cool! - Rocky06fx4   Thank you for your donation! - Tigerbarb   to my new drinking pal ;) - arkie   hope you dont mind...for cara get well soon - angelcakes   My heart goes to Cara - Get well Soon! - Tolley   
    Autism - ZCciVic22   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RainMan
    But, being the geek programmer that I am... it might be difficult because the location in your profile is free hand text.

Good point...
    The former ZCciVic22!

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car; Oversteer is when you hit with the rear. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    That is a good point and it likely means we wouldn't be able to do it easily under the current method on entering profile information. Would it be possible to insert a new field under profile options and encourage people to re-enter their location?

There are A LOT of smart people in the A.C. and plenty of people who use more than one forum. Seems like a few new threads in the right places might get more people thinking about a possible solution.

Is there a way to sort thread titles alphabetically? If so, maybe we could have a place (similar to the "introduce yourself" section) for each country represented here. You'd click on your country and start a new thread with your State, then City in the title (or providence, etc.). If the treads were alphabetical you could scroll down to your state and all the cities represented from that state would be together since it's alphabetical. If your State or Country wasn't listed yet, you'd could start a new thread. If your city isn't listed then you'd start a new thread, etc. (again...just thinking out loud)

It's FAR from perfect and not everyone would use it, but it could be VERY useful to members and would at the very least be really cool to see how far the A.C. has spread!

By the way...just in the last 24 hours there have been 2 new members who had questions specific to their area.

There's got to be a way to do this, right?
    10 gallon planted
    * 6 Cardinal Tetras
    * 3 Amano Shrimp
    * Java Ferns
    * Anubias Nana
    * Crypto Lutea
    * Cabomba
    * Java Moss