I have been stumped, annoyed, and frustrated as to what I can do with my 55 gallon tank. I so badly want to keep fish in it, so, I asked the Florida Fish and wildlife Commision if I can keep native fish in the tank. They said yes, as long as they were caught by legal means....(So much for the dynamite) I want to try my hand at a native florida aquarium, housing only florida species. I don't know if it will work or not, but I don't see any reason that it won't.

I will be stocking it with, if I can find some, "specks" (Black Crappie) bluegill, and or redear sunfish. I don't know how many I can keep. I was thinking on the lines of either 5 or 6 to a 55 gallon tank. I know the bluegill alone can get upwards of 14 inches, that's pretty big for a bluegill, I know specks get even bigger, so I may end up scaling it down as they grow, and throw the rest in the pond.

My trick will be to catch/buy small ones, as small as I can get, and try to get them to eat pellets. I don't think that will be a problem, if they are small enough. Catching them is another matter.

I wonder what I can use to clean the bottom. You can't put a bullhead in there, can you?

Surface fish will be the florida flag fish, but that is not a given, as they may just be a snack latter on for the other game fish.

I could put a bass in there too, but they get downright mean, and no other fish could be housed with them, unless it is another bass, so that's out.

Any suggestion guys?