· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So, I crumbled up a flake or two this morning, and tried to tempt the glowlights (I'm calling them the Mohicans, 'cause they were the last of their tribe in the store. I'm sure Cooper is hiccuping in his grave somewhere.) with those and a couple of pellets, but they didn't seem that hungry. They snatched a few of the flake crumbs, spit out others and totally ignored the pellets.

But right now, I'm just happy they made it through their first night.

I'll keep you posted about what happens in the murky depth of the blackwater tank (well, more tea-colored than murky maybe).

Awards Showcase

Have a drink on me - Dave66 From a fellow BC boy - sailor For making a great game - Futureboy thanks for the rep. - robnepper Congrats on your Gold Award :) - SkinnyChicken 
    To make up for not voting you in...lol :) - MeganL3985 Have a great trip! - MeganL3985 Happy B'day - donvichu sounds like you need a beer Doug - sailor Nice job on new tank - Lady Hobbs 
    tribbles - Commodore 64 One more for the school! - Wild Turkey Seasons Greetings, have anice Christmas. - Brookfish Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey 
    Merry Christmas - Northernguy Congrats TOTM - Northernguy Happy Birthday Mate - fraggle Thanks, good to see you back! - Brookfish 
    Autism - doug z Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - doug z 

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm..

I wonder when you have to start worrying that they don't want to eat?

Definately keep us posted, as this is good prep for me..

How long did you soak your driftwood before putting it in your tank? did you boil it at all?

I'm hoping I can soak mine enough that I won't have much of a problem with tea-coloured water..
    75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN
    25g: 5 long-finned zebra danios

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by doug z
    Hmm..
    I wonder when you have to start worrying that they don't want to eat?
    Definately keep us posted, as this is good prep for me..
    How long did you soak your driftwood before putting it in your tank? did you boil it at all?
    I'm hoping I can soak mine enough that I won't have much of a problem with tea-coloured water..
    They did eat a little. I'm not sure how much they need, they're barely an inch, but I'll try again tonight. They might just need a little more time to get used to their new home.

As for the wood, I didn't boil it. I have some Mopani (I wasn't aware of the ecological debate about it when I bought it - doh) and some bogwood from a store and a nice stump of Malaysian bogwood from a fellow aquarist. I scrubbed them all long and good under hot water and then soaked them for 3-4 days. But I wasn't worried about the colored water, since I wanted a blackwater tank anyway (I have some tropical almond leaves in there, too). The soaking was really more to make sure there weren't any hitchhikers or salt. The tank water was quite brown before I did the first water change, but is getting a bit lighter in color now.

If the wood isn't pre-treated, I'm pretty sure you could soak it for months and it would still leech tannins, so you might want to try the boiling. I read some people varnish their wood to avoid the tannin in the water, but I couldn't tell you with what.

Here's what the aquariumwiki has to say about it (with a couple more links at the bottom):
    http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Bogwood

Awards Showcase

Have a drink on me - Dave66 From a fellow BC boy - sailor For making a great game - Futureboy thanks for the rep. - robnepper Congrats on your Gold Award :) - SkinnyChicken 
    To make up for not voting you in...lol :) - MeganL3985 Have a great trip! - MeganL3985 Happy B'day - donvichu sounds like you need a beer Doug - sailor Nice job on new tank - Lady Hobbs 
    tribbles - Commodore 64 One more for the school! - Wild Turkey Seasons Greetings, have anice Christmas. - Brookfish Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey 
    Merry Christmas - Northernguy Congrats TOTM - Northernguy Happy Birthday Mate - fraggle Thanks, good to see you back! - Brookfish 
    Autism - doug z Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - doug z 

0 Not allowed!
    I wasn't aware of the ecological debate
    Hmm... Nor was I..

I've boiled mine, AND I'll let them soak for a month, at least..
    Last edited by doug z; 03-28-2008 at 04:20 PM.
    75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, since the Glowies weren't that big on the food I had for them, I followed some rave reviews and bought a little can of NLS pellets for small fish. Jackpot! They really like those. It's not exactly cheap, but then it's not like they go through a can a day.

Oh, and the 1-2 minute rule doesn't apply. It's more likely to be gone in 20 seconds. ;o)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on finding something they liked alot. They will enjoy the NLS hopefully for a long time. it is a good food. Top tier definetely....
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Cool!

Glad that worked out...

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yup, I just fed the new cories some, and they vacuumed it all up. They be so cute. (The QT is sitting right beside my computer, and I get thoroughly distracted watching them all the time. How am I supposed to get any work done today?)

I'm a happy camper.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm glad you're happy with your fish! I really like Glo lites. It really makes everything worthwhile, doesn't it? I'm also happy you found a food they like. It's not strange for fish to refuse food the first few days after being put in a new tank. It's just the time they need to get settles.

Congrats on your tank!
    The former ZCciVic22!

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car; Oversteer is when you hit with the rear. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Talking of food. I knew they were quick, but I've never seen them as quick as today, catching the dried bloodworms that whizzed past in the filter current.