· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Red Eye Tetra possibly infected.

0 Not allowed!
    I've noticed a solitary white spot on the gills of two Red Eye Tetras. Though they appear healthy(no behavioral changes, eating, etc.), I would still like to know if anyone has ever seen this or has had a similar experience. Thank you.

0 Not allowed!
    Probably a fungus infection. When it gets on the gills, they don't have long to live as they will smother so get some fungual meds promptly.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If it's a fungus infection, it's easy to take care of if caught early. First do a large water change, vacuum your gravel, and rinse your filter media. Make sure you're doing weekly water changes as cleaning your gravel. Do another water change in a day or two. Do not medicate. Even if you didn't catch it right away, still do the above to get the tank back to healthy conditions. Still do not medicate. By the time things are so bad that it needs medication, it's too late.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, lets combine the 2 suggestions and see if something in the middle can help. Whenever you notice ANYTHING out of normal for your fish, most definitely do a nice water change to offer as clean of water as possible. Doing small water changes daily is a plus, and will insure your water is not toxic in any way or harboring excess bad bacteria that could cause your fish to be susceptible to illness. As for medicating or not medicating, there are differing views as you see. Personally I try not to use harsh medications, but melafix and pimafix are both natural, won't hurt your biological state nor your fish. Stress coat is a good helping hand for fish that are seen to be having problems early on, it helps them build their own defenses against skin issues. When I see anything that might even look "iffy" I follow CJ's line of treatment with water changes. But I then dose the tank with stresscoat, and if I don't see improvement than I will move on to the melafix and/or pimafix depending on the situation. You normally don't need to use harsh chemical medications when you are on top of the situation.
    Let us know how things go, and what you did for treatment. Every little bit of experience helps all of us for future issues with our own fish.
    Kimmer