· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Red face

0 Not allowed!
    I just dont get this thread its like you guys think its ok to touch your fish as long as you add stress coat! Thats crazy
    I maybe ranting but i just cant understand why you guys would risk harming your fish slime coat and maybe risk bringing toxics in to the water im sorry guys for going on but hand on your haert is it worth the risk?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am with BillytheFish!! But I am also very surprised nobody has mentioned their own personal health.
    Mental
    Ghostknife

250 Ltr (66Gallon US)
    BGK, Sailfin Pleco, Bala Shark, 3 random cichlids (cannot remember their name, they are not typical though), 4 YoYo Loach's, 1 Bristlenose, 11 Rumy nose tetra, 2 Black Widow Tetra,

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The alternative is to net the fish which, given the size of the particular fish, can damage the slime coat far more when the fish thrashes than you hand. You should always be well washed before and after putting your hands into a fish tank anyways, so the toxins should be very minimal. Most professional goldfish breeders in China and Japan use their hands to move and get a closer look at their fish and have been doing so for centuries. Some goldfish even seek out the touch of humans, like coming up to nibble fingers and in the extreme case Punch the oranda. Handling a goldfish is a personal choice but as long as you are careful it is far from detrimental to the fish's health.

Awards Showcase

a cool drink for a hot aussie day - Futureboy Just a gift for you and your betta! - Hailey your a funny person, - mitcore Woof..woof..!!! LOL! - Demi ^_^ yay to chat buddies - arkie 
    for being you :-) - mitcore little sis :-) - mitcore Here ya go - harls_aussie Thank you so much for your help in my time in need oh ty ty ty -FishMan14 - FishMan14 Have a gift! - Tolley 
    welcome back! - doug z Thanks for leaving a message on my blog xxx - Fishalicious For being a really nice person. - Brookfish A Lucky Yabby for you and your Mom! - Northernguy merry christmas - cocoa_pleco 
    A Merry Merry Christmas xxx - Fishalicious Seasons greetings, Have a great Christmas! - Brookfish Thanks! - Wild Turkey Merry Christmas - travie Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Childhood Cancer - Demi ^_^ Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Demi ^_^ Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Demi ^_^ Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Demi ^_^ 

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, I think it'll be fine, I pet my betta daily and he is as healthy and happy. My Angelfish also nibble on my fingers, same with my Gourami....

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I hand feed my Oscars and pet them. Well at least Carl. Jarvis doesn't like the idea yet. I just throw in some stress coat to heal any slimecoat I may have removed in the process. I clean my hands very well though and make sure no soap residue is on them before I stick my hands in my tank at all.
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostknife
    I am with BillytheFish!! But I am also very surprised nobody has mentioned their own personal health.
    Mental
    Thats a good point you made there say you had a cut or somthing

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billythefish
    Thats a good point you made there say you had a cut or somthing
    The risks of infection or getting TB from fish are very real. However if you are readily sticking your hands into a fish tank or any untreated body of water with open wounds then you are naive.

0 Not allowed!
    I agree. It does damage their slime coat a little, but as long as you don't do it a whole lot it would be fine. I have a female betta that lets me pet her, and I love it!!! I actually prefer catching my fish by hand then trying to catch them with a net because with a net I can't really tell if I am squishing them or what I'm doing. Plus I think it is less stressful. Do you think that is bad? Should I use a net more often?