· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Red Ludwigia

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb
    You want to end up with the water at room temperature to activate the yeast. If you get it too hot you will kill it and if you get it too cold it will stay dormant until it warms up enough.
    ok. So just use warm water to get everything all mixed in? Aren't I supposed to mix the sugar and baking soda together and then the yeast?? or no?

0 Not allowed!
    If you end up using the CO2, be very careful the bubbler is not near the filter, bubbler or anything like that. I had mine too near the filter uplift tube and it literally sucked the liquid out of the CO2 bottle, filled my tank up and killed my fish in the matter of a few hours.

I am using the CO2 now in my 55 gallon, one one each end of the tank, with a ratio of 3/4 t. per 2 cups sugar in a 2 liter bottle. I'm using a bit more yeast than I normally would because I only have the two bubblers. But, my earlier experience with it scared me and I am really careful with it now and make sure nothing can pull the mixture out!

My mixture will literally be bubbling in 5 minutes but it really can be a PITA with air leaks at times around the top, line plugging up on occassion, etc. I would go with Excel in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the vals in my tank.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 03-23-2008 at 04:36 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    yeah, definitely keep it away from the intake to the filter. What I actually did with min in my 2.5gal planted tank was to run an airstone fromt eh bottle into the filter. I put the airstone under all the media and it worked wonders.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    If you end up using the CO2, be very careful the bubbler in not near the filter, bubbler or anything like that. I had mine too near the filter uplift tube and it literally sucked the liquid out of the CO2 bottle, filled my tank up and killed my fish in the matter of a few hours.

I am using the CO2 now in my 55 gallon, one one each end of the tank, with a ratio of 3/4 t. per 2 cups sugar in a 2 liter bottle. I'm using a bit more yeast than I normally would because I only have the two bubblers. But, my earlier experience with it scared me and I am really careful with it now and make sure nothing can pull the mixture out!

My mixture will literally be bubbling in 5 minutes but it really can be a PITA with air leaks at times around the top, line plugging up on occassion, etc. I would go with Excel in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the vals in my tank.
    ok. I will go witht he ratio that you have for my 33g tank and see how that goes. I might only use 1 bottle though. I can use 2 though if that will help put more in the water. I will go and make some here shortly and put on the tank.

0 Not allowed!
    I mix my water and sugar in HOT water and let it just sit until lukewarm before adding the yeast. Or just mix up half the bottle with HOT water and sugar then fill up rest with cold to get to the lukewarm stage.

One of my bottles sit on a window sill. At night, it bubbles very slow as it's cold out yet. During the day when the sun hits the bottle, it bubbles like crazy.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I mix my water and sugar in HOT water and let it just sit until lukewarm before adding the yeast. Or just mix up half the bottle with HOT water and sugar then fill up rest with cold to get to the lukewarm stage.

One of my bottles sit on a window sill. At night, it bubbles very slow as it's cold out yet. During the day when the sun hits the bottle, it bubbles like crazy.
    Thanks Hobbs. I just made a batch for my 10g. I am trying plants in it again. I made the batch for it first as I wanted to make sure I did it right. It isn't bubbling yet but I will know soon. I filled it about 1/4 - 1/2 with hot water then added cold to get lukewarm before adding the yeast.

Ok so this might sound dumb but...what would you say to be the right temp for plants?? I heard that they should be in cooler water?? like 75F?

0 Not allowed!
    My plants come second and my fish first. Whatever my fish do best in is what my plants get.

Hope you get your bubbles soon. If it doesn't take off my tomorrow, you might have a pin hole leak where the line meets the top.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The bubbles have started to come. They came about an hour after mixing the batch. I forgot to tell ya'll. But they are coming and it seems to be working good.