· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firemouths

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - Lady Hobbs   Welcome Back! - Lady Hobbs   welcome back - angelcakes   here you go dork - SamAnthrax   No Message - The Red Severum   

Default Firemouths

0 Not allowed!
    I just got 2 firemouths today. Really neat fish, i got 1 male and 1 female. Question, my oscar who is 4" is chasing them right now off and on. Will firemouths beable to defend themselves? Can they be aggressive? I always thought they were like a convict cichlid in ways. How can I help ease the aggression with my oscar?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here ya go. - Tigerbarb   A little something for a friend!! - Patriot   Thanks for being there! - NickFish   have a gift - mitcore   :D - harls_aussie   

0 Not allowed!
    Good to hear! In the chat, I saw a nice pic of your firemouths!
    "Everybody knows, you only live a day, but it's brilliant anyway..."
    Elliott smith

20g nano reef
    55g FOWLR saltwater
    29g planted freshwater
    10g planted freshwater

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    They are of the more timid cichlids but I doubt they will do with an oscar. They only get around 5 inches top (males smaller) and need their caves to hide in. You will have a hard time having all these caves and an Oscar and he will likely kill them due to the sheer size he will get. Oscars eat goldfish feeders for lunch so I can't see as the firemouths having much chance of survival.

I thought I was getting males and females when I got mine but it's impossible to tell until they are larger.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - Lady Hobbs   Welcome Back! - Lady Hobbs   welcome back - angelcakes   here you go dork - SamAnthrax   No Message - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    oh ok...i thought they were aggressive? i must of misread something. Well.. right now i guess they're ok for now. What would you suggest hobbs?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Here is what may or may not work with firemouths. I can not even keep my blood parrots with mine.

Blue Acara Cichlid, African Mouthbrooder, Convict Cichlid, Festae Cichlid, Firemouth Cichlid, Green Terror Cichlid, Jack Dempsey Cichlid, Manganese Cichlid, Pike Cichlid, Port Cichlid, Rainbow Cichlid, Red Devil Cichlid, Red Tilapia Cichlid, Salvani Cichlid, Sunray Cichlid, Texas Cichlid

Some may work and others no but you have to know that an Oscar thrashing about, takes up a lot of room, needs nothing in his way to prohibit his moving about. Firemouths like a lot of wood, rocks, caves and places to hide which would greatly interfer with Oscars areas.

They are more aggressive with their own than other species. I've had one or two males that were darned right mean to their own.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    yeah the 2 firemouths chase each other around.. but i mean oscars arent really aggressive as say a dempsey, red devil, texas cichlid. But they do get big and i can understand why. I cant return them, but hey maybe its just a 1 night thing and possibly be friends lol. WHo knows. But its nice to see other than 1 fish. firemouths are very colorful and when one of them puffs out you see his orange neck thing lol. But yea im feeding them NLS large cichlid formula. its small pellets just right for them. and my oscar is right at the top so he has to get his share first LOL.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    i think because its a 55g the oscar sees the whole tank as its territory and thats why he chases them

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    me too cocoa.. but again, the firemouths are quick.. my oscar is too but he starts slow towards them then gains speed then before he gets there they're gone lol. did you have any problems with your oscar and convict?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    no problems, mainly because they were in the 90g

however, when the oscar and convict were in the 50g long, the convict laid eggs and took on the oscar, that was the only fighting

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    hmm.. you think ill have any problems with these fish? Should i add more plants?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast