· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Exclamation My Jaguar Babies Are Dying! Help!

0 Not allowed!
    Hello hobbyist! My 2 year old jaguars "Mickey & Mallory " have breed many times when they we're in my 90 gallon. I always get 700 to 1000 fry every time, but after two weeksa majority of them always die! My Ph is basic 7.5, I do 20 to 30% water changes every other day. I recently upgraded to a 180 gallon tank/ fresh filter media, and the jaguars love it! They laid more eggs than ever, all of them hatched n two days, 1500! I feed them frozen baby brine shrimp, and crushed hikari gold pellets. Everything goes well as usual for two weeks, very strong, then the dying started again! Some do survive, but majority always start wiggling till death, what am I doing wrong!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry I havent any experience with jags, but I noticed this is your first post so welcome to the forum.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum .
    How many eould you say are surviving? I don't know about breeding these guys, but I do know you don't want every single one to survive, what would you do with all the fry.
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

4. Question

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MLBfan
    Welcome to the forum .
    How many eould you say are surviving? I don't know about breeding these guys, but I do know you don't want every single one to survive, what would you do with all the fry.
    I usually sell them to local pet shops/ I have some 1/2 babies in my 90 gallon tank, 50 survivors outta 700.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    50 outa 700 sounds pretty good, in the wild there are many fish species where the mortality rate of fry is higher than that, resulting in maybe 1 in every 1000 making it to adulthood.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the welcome!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    that makes a lot of sense- I thought in captivity the chances would be higher, but usually after die-offs, the survivors always make it. Thanks for the advice!

0 Not allowed!
    Jaguar fry are highly aggressiv as their parents and grow extremely fast when well fed. I have never bothered with brine shrimp since they will accept pellets from day one and grow well on it. After two weeks the fry should be 5-8 mm with some smaller ones and at this size/age they will start figthing among eachother. As well as eating any siblings that fit in their mouth if they are hungry. Make sure that you feed them a looooot. I usually feed 8-10 mashed mid-sized pellets every 2 hours. that will help but you will still have problems with predation etc. the problems get worse as they grow. If you want as many as possible you will need to seperated the fry into smaller groups by size.

The fry should reach an inch before two months of age.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advice ! I feed them twice daily two smashed large pellets + a cube of brine shrimp, they maybe starving! I'm increasing the food, hopefully the dying stops. Thanks!