· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Tetra's not shoaling

0 Not allowed!
    I have 13 Neons in my 20gallon and they're not shoaling. They all seem to be goin in different directions at different levels of the tank, not swimming synchronized. Why aren't they shoaling? Should I add more? Are they not happy in my tank?

As you can sort of see here:

30g Long Planted South American BioTope Blue Rams & Apisto + Community
    Formerly Carlos_x3, RamGuy13

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Mine do that too so sorry but I can't really answer you.... I was going to put up a thread but you beat me to it:)
    "Animals are such agreeable friends, they ask no questions, they pass no criticism."
    ~George Eliot

Awards Showcase

beer party! - cocoa_pleco have a margarita on me... - digital3 congrats on the angels! - cocoa_pleco heres a drink too.... i dont like drinking alone - arkie have a burger! - cocoa_pleco 
    and a beer... - cocoa_pleco and a slush for desert! - cocoa_pleco Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry christmas! - cocoa_pleco Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12 
    cuz u needed a gift from me and I have no idea what this is lol - richberstler Happy Holidays! - digital3 happy new year - arkie Here's some candy I stole from Lindsay. Haha! - KcEE For a new mate, - CAX474 
    to the soon to be professional fish breeder! - cocoa_pleco Zachery Ty Bryan Award - richberstler Happy Birthday Dillon - OscarFan Here's a Cafe Latte for you! - KcEE Get well soon!!! - KcEE 
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - mitcore Childhood Cancer - mitcore Hepatitis C - mitcore 

0 Not allowed!
    it is not uncommon for tetras to not school all the time i have a fairly big batch of neons and will find them in a array of groupings, 2 on thier own, or 2 groups of 10 or all sperated etc, as you are aware there are many combinations of numbers you could get out of 20,
    i would worry to much about it, they will school when they want
    i have my glo light tetra and white clouds that also school with the neons,

hope this helps
    3ft
    tetras ,platties ,guppies,corys
    4 bristle noses,peacock eel,sword tails
    paradise fish
    1 male betta, a female betta
    bumble bee gobi, harliquin rasbroas, mystery snails
    4ft
    angels, gouramis, bristle noses,3 silver fin sharks
    widows,khulis,severums
    corys ,rainbows,keyholes,snails, 4 bristle noses
    congo tetras,
    breeder tank
    angel breeding pair
    3ft divided angel breeder
    1 breeding pair,fry and ghost knife
    platty tank
    1 river fish,platties
    G,O,T

0 Not allowed!
    You should be happy... it is a sign that they feel comfortable and happy so there is no need to school up together

You will notice that when you are doing stuff in the tank or bang against it accidently or right after lights on that they will go back to it for a short time
    My own Fish Blog
    Small Fish for Small Tanks

'The measure of kindness is that you are kind without measure'

Awards Showcase

sorry about your cat, but 18 years old is a impressive age! - cocoa_pleco Heres To Those Baby Angels Of Yours! :) - MeganL3985 oscar drinking party! - cocoa_pleco for quiz answer - Dave66 From one mom to another, cheers! - SkarloeysMom 
    cause you are a nice person - mitcore my shout - crackatinny For my fellow StarWars geek, cheers right back at ya - digital3 This just in...  Arkie RULES!!!! - digital3 Merry Christmas Girl :) - MeganL3985 
    Looks like another hangover LOL - crackatinny Merry Christmas! - SkarloeysMom Happy Holidays Sweet Cheeks! - digital3 Happy new year, share it with bro, LOL - crackatinny Aussie Aussie Aussie Oy Oy Oy! - Dave66 
    happy new year to you too! - cocoa_pleco hot there? hope this makes you cool :) - Blu-ray for fixing my mistake, thanks - mitcore oscar par-tay! lol - cocoa_pleco after today, I think you may need a break, Happy V-Day  also... - Pr0eve 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - arkie 

0 Not allowed!
    when i had my neons - i think i had bout 15, they never swam around in a school either. i think its because they know they are safe in their environment so the schooling instinct doesnt kick in as much. im pretty sure i read somewhere if you get a picture of a fish that preys on them in the wild and put it against the glass, the neons would then form a school, because they feel threatened. i could be wrong though so your best of waiting for someone more knowledgable to answer your question.
    4ft cichlid community
    4ft community tank
    2ft endler guppy tank
    think i have MTS!!!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Nothing wrong at all. Like others said they feel comfortable in your tank. I've also heard about putting a picture of a fish that usually eats the neons next to the glass. If you want a picture of such a fish, google wolf tetra, and print a picture off of one of them that seems life-sized. Googling wolf fish will get better results.
    Stock the tank you have, not the tank you plan to have. Always have and use patience.
    - 29g FW - Community
    - 55g SW - Blue Watchman Goby, Royal Gramma, 6-Line Wrasse, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, and various corals and inverts
    For those of you who want a SW tank and never have had one before or just starting out, read this blog entry from my blog on AC, it will give you a place to start.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know someone had this same thing happen awhile back. As said above they feel comfortable so they don't need to school. However if you would like to see them school search google images for a "Wolf Fish" and put the image near the tank. Don't do that too much though or you might stress them a bit.

0 Not allowed!
    Neon's are social fish and in my opinion, more social than big skoalers. They will be all over the tank, in a group but never this line going back and forth like you see black skirts doing.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, that's good to know!
    "Animals are such agreeable friends, they ask no questions, they pass no criticism."
    ~George Eliot

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishalicious
    You should be happy... it is a sign that they feel comfortable and happy so there is no need to school up together

You will notice that when you are doing stuff in the tank or bang against it accidently or right after lights on that they will go back to it for a short time
    I was not to sure but fishalcious this was my first thought because when i got my gold white clouds they schooled for a couple days and then began to disperse into the tank nd use the whole tank! I Love it and your right if your frighten them they go straight to the top and school in the stream :D

Good luck, your fishies are happy!!!
    Alex

Don Juan Matus My true hero and many more

My Photos