· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HITH ?'s

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Did you read the article?
    What size tank?
    Is the Penguin 350 the only filter?
    Try cutting a slit in the cartdige and draining the carbon out that way.
    What is the nitrate concentration?
    What is the water change schedule? (How much twice a week?)
    You don't have an UGF do you?
    Why did you swtich off of NLS? I know there is some debate about Hikari vs NLS, but I used Hikari very extensively before I switched to NLS and the NLS is much better. Hikari is not bad, but the NLS is better. At the very least feed them both, but I do not think it would be good to not feed NLS.

Variety is not a nutrient. They need a complete and balanced diet, that's it. In the past we needed variety to provide that, but there is at least one food out now that provides that by itself. My oscar has been on nothing but NLS for quite a while now and has no trace of HITH or HLLE.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I think with proper w/c, a mixed food variety, and time you can heal him. I am glad you got him off NLS as that seems to be the cause of it, it sunk to the bottom and you had a lot of wasted food which could have caused it. Add aquarium salt and stress coat if possible.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - Lady Hobbs   Welcome Back! - Lady Hobbs   welcome back - angelcakes   here you go dork - SamAnthrax   No Message - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    its a 55g tank, 2 penguin 350's, nitrate was 10ppm before water change so its less now, i do 2 w/c a week with the gravel vac, ugf????? I didnt see any change in the nls except my oscar didnt eat them all and they are a sinking pellet. Nls didnt do much for his colors, if anything some of his stripes were turning a silverish color. Not all stripes but a few. So i got the hikari medium sized pellets, he eats them fast. hikari is top notch. Im im going to continue to feed him hikari. And kuli, youre right it did sink to the bottom.
    Last edited by Soxfan18; 03-17-2008 at 12:53 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    How long was it on the NLS?
    Which Hikari food?

NLS could not cause it. Overfeeding (maybe oscar wasn't used to it and did not eat it as much yet) may have caused bad water quality which can contribute to it, but it does not sound like that is it.

Again, Hikari is really good, but not quite as good. I still think you should also feed NLS in addition to the Hikari if you are goign to feed Hikari.

Can you post any pictures? They develop sensory pits that can be mistaken for the beginning of HITH or HLLE.
    Aquarist since 1995

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - Lady Hobbs   Welcome Back! - Lady Hobbs   welcome back - angelcakes   here you go dork - SamAnthrax   No Message - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    I fed the nls for like a month and a half or so i guess. I got the hikari cichlid gold pellets, medium sized which are good. And he ate the nls, a lot of it. Ill try to get a picture tommorow.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    If he ate a lot and still had extra on the bottom you just need to cut back. One of the things about really high quality foods is that you don't have to feed as much because they get so much out of it.

If you are going to feed Hikari I would only use the Bio-Gold+, it is their best line for cichlids. No reason to feed their second best.

Sometimes NLS seems to look bad at first with color loss. The real results seem to come over time. When switching from other high quality foods it is harder to see the differences. If you had switched from a lower quality food like Wardley the results would be more obvious and much faster. The best results with NLS seem to come after a couple months. That is when the fish slowly get more and more color.
    Aquarist since 1995

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    theres not much difference between the hikari gold or cichlid-gold+ really.... They dont sell the bio-gold here so i got the hikari gold which is still great food. Anything hikari is going to be good, doesnt matter which formula it is its basically the same..

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The Bio-Gold+ is a lot better. One of the best things about it is that it has beneficial bacteria in it that can help digestion and outcompete internal parasites which will keep the fish healthier. If they are not carrying it in your LFS but do carry other Hikari products they can get it in, you just have to ask for it.
    Aquarist since 1995

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    petsmart here carries the bio-gold+, thats where i always get it

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Have you read the article yet?
    Aquarist since 1995