· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Malawi Tank pics, or suggestions

0 Not allowed!
    So if anyone has pics of theirs that would be cool.

I am in the process of setting one up, 55gal corner tank. Also any suggestions or ideas of how mine should be designed that would be great...I was already thinking of having alot of limestone and or Lace Rock (can these two be mixed?), I also like the look of a nice twisted up piece of African driftwood but I heard that can bring my ph down. Still in very much debate about the substrate as well(Sand, Gravel or Rocks?). I also would like to have a few either Anubias or Java Fern grown right to a couple rocks...The fish this tank will hold are, 3 golden mbuna, 2 kenyi, & 2 snowflake Cichlids. What other fish would you guys bring into this tank?
    ...C.W.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nomination - Cliff   Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff   No Message - cer   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor   Autism - sailor   

0 Not allowed!
    I have some bad news for you bud, a corner tank is probably the worst type of tank you can house african cichlids in. As most africans are aggressive they just do not provide the needed footprint for the fish to flee if necessary. They are too small for the fish to establish a territory. Your fish will be stressed all the time. You will probably end up with 1 or 2 alpha fish in the end. The corner tanks are probably best for regular community tanks etc, not suited at all for cichlids sorry
    Sailor

Aye Aye

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    You can look through here and look at mine. I use Lave rock.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sailor
    I have some bad news for you bud, a corner tank is probably the worst type of tank you can house african cichlids in. As most africans are aggressive they just do not provide the needed footprint for the fish to flee if necessary. They are too small for the fish to establish a territory. Your fish will be stressed all the time. You will probably end up with 1 or 2 alpha fish in the end. The corner tanks are probably best for regular community tanks etc, not suited at all for cichlids sorry
    I'm glad you're telling me this now, I didn't get the tank yet, was supposed to pick it up this week, ok so now im open for suggestions on what size tank to get, dang, this is getting more and more complicated...
    ...C.W.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nomination - Cliff   Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff   No Message - cer   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor   Autism - sailor   

0 Not allowed!
    I really like the 75 or 90 gal 4 ft long tanks for africans. They are large enough to have a nice mix of fish and long enough for territories to be established and for fish to flee if required.
    Sailor

Aye Aye

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    40 long or 50 long work great.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The money you would have spent on a 55 corner tank should cover the expense of a regular 75 gal tank.
    Sailor

Aye Aye

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Might as well step up to the 125g for the extra length.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    yeah go for a 75.....

as for substrate, use sand. I dont think there should be any debate about this, mbunas live in the wild with a sand bottom, they dig in sand, the eat sand and spit it out. its all part of their way of life.
    Be careful, that light you see at the end of the tunnel, could be a train!!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, I'm getting such a good deal on this corner tank I think I have no choice but to go with it...Hopefully it can be made suitable for my cichlids. I only have 7 fish and they are in a tiny little tank now and seem to be acting somewhat peaceful towards each other. I guess I won't buy anymore fish untill I see what happens. The last thing I want to do is make their life stressful. Worst comes to worst they will go back to the lfs. Just sucks because I really had my mind set on Africans...
    And yes I am Going with sand. But is sand condusive to a UGF? I believe the tank my friend is selling me has an UGF and just by the name alone it doesn't sound good for use of sand. Also I wanted to ask, how did you guys support all the weight in the tank with all the rocks? Is there a technique for stacking them, or something I should line the bottom with to more evenly distribute the weight?
    ...C.W.