· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Ludwiga roots everywhere

0 Not allowed!
    I finally have my 20 long set up and ready for my plants I had bought a week or so back. They've been patiently keeping my CRS company.

My Ludwiga stems have roots coming from everywhere on most of the stems. Sometimes 4-6 inches of stem with wandering roots.

What I have done is plant every part with roots shooting from it into my substrate. All the leaves are still above. Is this proper or should I only be planting the very bottom of it. I don't want to kill it by having too much underground. Specifically I don't want them to start rotting and starting off my new setup on the wrong foot.

My thought was if I have 6 inches of root buried it may sprout new branches fairly quickly, kinda liks a long bulb.

Any thoughts? I know several of you have suggested Ludwiga in the past so I expect there are some people who have dealt with this before.

Thanks!!

Shrimp and snail junkie... What can I say, I like the little things in life.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, they do that. I generally pinch off everything under the highest root and plant that way but not sure if I do it right or not. These plants like lots of light.

Awards Showcase

RAK - DemonShark Whee! - Nick_Pavlovski Drink up! - Drumachine09 For keeping TOF alive! - Drumachine09 For Being A Great Friend - MeganL3985 
    good job - Lady Hobbs I am baking today and figured I'd share...thanks for helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** A thank you for adding me to your buddy list :) - *Sarah* for the inspiration, and the friend add :) - calla a cigar for you - Dave66 
    good quiz answer - Dave66 Thanks for being a friend! Cheers! - SkarloeysMom I think you need a book!! (It's a book about fish of course!) - 2manyfish i noticed i havent given you a gift yet! - cocoa_pleco Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 
    Merry christmas! - cocoa_pleco Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12 Happy Birthday Friend! - SkarloeysMom Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish Merry Christmas! - digital3 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - tropfish AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - tropfish Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - tropfish HIV/AIDS - tropfish Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - tropfish 
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - tropfish 

0 Not allowed!
    my ludwigia does that too, along with my moneymort, it's totally normal.
    55g: 1 Severum, 1 Raphael Catfish, 1 Syno Catfish

5g: adopted goldfish..

2.5g: crowntail betta

4. Default are

0 Not allowed!
    thats normal.My hygro corm do the same thing I think that is a common thing with alot of stem plants.as far as depth of planting mine are in the gravel an inch or so.all those little side roots eventually find there way into the gravel or just float free absorbing nutrients .Even my cabomba have the side roots.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Old post, but I just came here and my ludwigia and foxtail are doing the same thing. So just leave them and they will eventually go away?
    !~*Shockshockshad*~!
    30 gallon
    Heavily Planted SE Asian biotope
    -2 SAE's, 13 threadfin rainbows, 6 White Cloud Mtn. Minnows and a dwarf gourami

12 gallon
    2 bamboo shrimp, couple cherry shrimp, 10 neons, 6 CPD's and 8 spotted rasboras

75 gallon
    South American tank
    -1 Firemouth , 1 blue acara

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No they wont go away.They are desirable to have for the plant.Its just another way for them to draw nutrients.It is normal for all stem plants.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, good answer smaug. I think they do that because in the wild or something like that the stems fall apart and the roots settle in so they can grow faster or something. Something like that.
    CORRECTED video of my fish. This link works. For sure. Really.

Tanks:
    20g long: 4 panda cories, 1 honey gourami, 1 apistogramma borellii, 1 male cacatuoides
    20g High: 3 bolivian rams, 12 rasboras
    8g hex: empty
    5g: empty

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    why thank you ed.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay. It doesn't look bad or anything, i was just asking. Thanks.
    !~*Shockshockshad*~!
    30 gallon
    Heavily Planted SE Asian biotope
    -2 SAE's, 13 threadfin rainbows, 6 White Cloud Mtn. Minnows and a dwarf gourami

12 gallon
    2 bamboo shrimp, couple cherry shrimp, 10 neons, 6 CPD's and 8 spotted rasboras

75 gallon
    South American tank
    -1 Firemouth , 1 blue acara