· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tetra Missing

1. Default Tetra Missing

0 Not allowed!
    I added 7 Neon Tetras to my tank yesterday, properly acclimated them for over an hour. Today I can only count 6, I been watching them and looking through my tank for a half hour now and still no 7th. I'm pretty sure the 7th is dead now, but where? Cannibalism?
    30g Long Planted South American BioTope Blue Rams & Apisto + Community
    Formerly Carlos_x3, RamGuy13

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If it's anything like my tank it's probably dead......

I've lost so many i've given up on them.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Jumper? Did you check around the tank. I had a lemon tetra that I didn't find until it was a all dried out.

0 Not allowed!
    Neon tetras are very pretty fish. Get to 1.5 inches in length, and have one small but potential disheartening drawback. It is called neon tetra disease.

Water parameters could be spot on, everything good, and for some strange unknown reason, they just die. It has frustrated many an aquarist. Hence I stick with cardinals. Basically the same color, and much heartier. They just cost more, as they are more difficult to breed.
    75 gallon planted tank with discus, GBR's and cardinals

135 gallon saltwater FOWLR work in progress and desperately need help

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianpaul32
    Neon tetras are very pretty fish. Get to 1.5 inches in length, and have one small but potential disheartening drawback. It is called neon tetra disease.

Water parameters could be spot on, everything good, and for some strange unknown reason, they just die. It has frustrated many an aquarist. Hence I stick with cardinals. Basically the same color, and much heartier. They just cost more, as they are more difficult to breed.

I just looked the disease up and i almost bet thats what i had with my fish. Funny swimming and what not.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Checked the floor, still cant find my 7th neon. I think my Corys probably ate the corpse.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_x3
    Checked the floor, still cant find my 7th neon. I think my Corys probably ate the corpse.
    Some times I freak out when count one less tetras that I'm suppose to. But I relax and count again. Those dudes move fast and if they are not schooling its hard to count them.

My corys do not eat dead fish. One otto was dead and lost for two days and they didn't even pay attention to the body, it was almost intact when I found it.

Hope you find it.
    Luis

What fish would you like to be...???

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Have you check in your filter???
    Yes, sound strange... But we thought we've lost a platy (and that's a big fish compare to the tetra)... But this girl just jump in our filter and was taken between the filter and the media... So who knows?

Hope it's something like that and not the tetra desease....
    21 gal: 4 Ornate, 7 Pencilfish, 1 Oto, 7 Amano, 1 Peckoltia-10 gal: 4 Betta rutilans, 6 Galaxy, 1 Cherry, 1 Hillstream -5 gal: 2 Endlers, snail, tiger shrimp-15 gal: 2 Peckoltia, 6 threadfin R.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I counted 7 today! So weird. The 7th I noticed today is the smallest tetra and doesn't seem to school with the others. The biggest Neon of them all is always nipping at the small one when he sees him. I watched the big guy today and I noticed he nips at all of them. They all look fine, colors are there and no twisted bodies but some of them have rather large bellies.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I put one out of his misery today.... It looked dead but when cleaning the glass it started moving again. Swooping in circles instead of swimming. Flushed him...