· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First dwellers!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You're hella cool! - Rocky06fx4   Thank you for your donation! - Tigerbarb   to my new drinking pal ;) - arkie   hope you dont mind...for cara get well soon - angelcakes   My heart goes to Cara - Get well Soon! - Tolley   
    Autism - ZCciVic22   

0 Not allowed!
    LOL First things first...

I figured out the crabs we have. One is an Emerald Crab, the other is a Sally Lightfoot crab. The white things are some type of worm. I've been taking pictures of the tank every night, around 8pm. This way I can compare pictures after awhile and hopefully notice the most subtle differences! I'll have to get some up for you guys!

I took the water back last night to get re-checked. The phosphates were down where they needed to be, but now my Calcium was low (at 300, needs to be at 450) and my pH was low (around 7.6). So the guy we talk to about our SW gave us a bottle of calcium drops for free, and we bought Kent superbuffer to raise the pH. I don't remember what the calcium drops are, but we're adding 4 drops/night to bring that up. I also dissolved about 1/2tsp in some FW last night and added that to the tank. Hopefull this will level out soon!

In simple terms, a Zamboni shaves of a small layer of ice, about 1/16", and then lays down a new layer of hot water. There is a towel that drags along behind the conditioner (Big thing the zamboni pulls behind it) that spreads the water out, and fills in whats left of the cracks. There is actually 2 water tanks in the zamboni, a big one and a smaller big one. The one holds around 300 gallons of water, which is what is used to lay down a new layer of ice. The smaller one holds about 60gallons, which is used as wash water. As the blade shaves the ice, it gets pushed into an auger, which carries the ice to the middle of the conditioner. The wash water sprays at high velocity and attempts to seperate the ice from any debris that it got (mouth guards, tape) so it doesn't clog. Then the ice is carried up another auger and sprays into the dump bucket.

The blade is 6' long and as sharp as a razor blade. It really sucks, they needed changed once a week. If you even touch a newly sharpened blade, your guaranteed at least a small cut, worse if your hand moves across it.
    The former ZCciVic22!

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car; Oversteer is when you hit with the rear. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You're hella cool! - Rocky06fx4   Thank you for your donation! - Tigerbarb   to my new drinking pal ;) - arkie   hope you dont mind...for cara get well soon - angelcakes   My heart goes to Cara - Get well Soon! - Tolley   
    Autism - ZCciVic22   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix
    Congrats on the new addition. I hope you have better luck with the crabs than I did..

BTW: What did you mean by this?
    The former ZCciVic22!

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car; Oversteer is when you hit with the rear. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Autism - ZCciVic22   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pez
    ZC I am in the same boat as you just getting started with some clean up crews ready to put some fish in soon have you decided on what fish you will put in your tank when you are ready ? Find out the name of that crab you really like I am in need for a few more. Thanks Pez

The crab I really like is the Emerald Crab. As far as fish, I'm not 100% sure. A couple of clown fish, and a 6-line wrasse I'm thinkin. I'm really into this because I want to do some coral, so the fish are just a bonus in my case.
    The former ZCciVic22!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   Hang in there man! - coachfraley   For taking on the 10g wavemaker! - coachfraley   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZCciVic22
    BTW: What did you mean by this?
    I found crabs to be annoying and they ultimately died.
    10 Gallon - Assorted Items of Interest.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Autism - ZCciVic22   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix
    I found crabs to be annoying and they ultimately died.

LOL annoying, because they died? Or for other reasons? More info!
    The former ZCciVic22!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

LOLOLOLOL - Lady Hobbs   Here's to capitals and periods!!!!!!! - Lady Hobbs   Sorry about photos - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    i've read that hermits can get really big and start wrecking stuff in the tank

they are so cool tho

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   Hang in there man! - coachfraley   For taking on the 10g wavemaker! - coachfraley   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi
    i've read that hermits can get really big and start wrecking stuff in the tank

they are so cool tho
    What he said. Except mine didn't grow they just wrecked stuff.
    10 Gallon - Assorted Items of Interest.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Autism - ZCciVic22   

0 Not allowed!
    No kidding! Well, I havent had any problems with them yet, but they've only been in there a few days. The second I dropped them in, they started eating crap off the LR. I hope I don't have any problems with them, because they do a great job eating detrius (sp?). The Emerald and Sally Lightfoot are awesome tho!
    The former ZCciVic22!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The emerald crab is the one I am thinking about I see you like him so I will probably give him a try. I put a Royal gramma Basslet in the tank today so hopefuly he will adapt and do fine. He is my first offical salt water fish!!!!! PEZ

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Autism - ZCciVic22   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pez
    The emerald crab is the one I am thinking about I see you like him so I will probably give him a try. I put a Royal gramma Basslet in the tank today so hopefuly he will adapt and do fine. He is my first offical salt water fish!!!!! PEZ

He;s an awesome crab. I'll get pix of him up tomorrow when I get to work. For some reason, my fiances laptop won't allow me to add pictures right to the thread for some reason... It says it's because a pop-up was blocked, but I have the pop-up blocker shut off under the Tools bar... Weird...

I just got another 3 hermits and 3 Margarita Snails today. So now I'm at 6 snails, 6 hermits, an emerald crab and a sally lightfoot crab! Calcium still needs to come up and Phosphate needs to come down, so I'm waiting on fish/corals until everything is leveled out
    The former ZCciVic22!