· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plant help.....

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just a regular gift! - Rue   Wheres all your gifts JB?!  Heres another one! - MeganL3985   for a buddy - smaug   Welcome back - sailor   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jbeining75   

Default Plant help.....

0 Not allowed!
    How long will it take Anacharus and hogwort to root into the gravel of my 10 gallon.... I am not using ecocomplete or co2 system. I am using fert spikes and a chemical that adds potassium and iron.... They are bundled together and weighted at the bottom......

Thanks in advance.....
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Bling Bling - William   Better if you get a gift from me! - Rue   fish, not just a hobby - Algenco   Buddy - Algenco   So sorry - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    First, I would remove the weights, as it will end up crushing the stems. I would say, within a couple of weeks the plants should have rooted themselves. Please remember that stem plants are really fragile until they grown a good root system. Most times, the stem where it is inserted into the gravel rots off.

Or: You can let them float on top for a bit until the roots grow out, as they should, then plant them into the substrate. Just be really careful when planting them, that you do not damage the stem when pushing it into the gravel. I have used an old uptake tube, placing the plant within the tube, and pushing the plastic into the gravel and gently pressing the plant into the gravel after the tube has hollowed out an opening. Gently swish back and forth allowing the gravel to close in on the hole and removing the uptake tube. Plant should remain, and no damage to the stem.

Just my suggestion.
    75 gallon planted tank with discus, GBR's and cardinals

135 gallon saltwater FOWLR work in progress and desperately need help

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome to ac! - cocoa_pleco   lol, have a heavy beer too! - cocoa_pleco   mixing your drinks, I see - Lady Hobbs   hobbs, he aint goin anywhere without a margarita! - cocoa_pleco   let's get corked - Lady Hobbs   
    HIV/AIDS - digital3   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - digital3   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - digital3   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianpaul32
    ...I have used an old uptake tube, placing the plant within the tube, and pushing the plastic into the gravel and gently pressing the plant into the gravel after the tube has hollowed out an opening. Gently swish back and forth allowing the gravel to close in on the hole and removing the uptake tube. Plant should remain, and no damage to the stem...
    Hmmm.... I'll have to try that. Thanks.
    "My call sign is digital3... But you can call me Joda!"
    Click Here to visit my Blog
    Click Here to see my Pics S.S.A.A.C. & S.R.S.

55 gal. planted (Co2 Pressurized) - 1 Featherfin Syno, 2 Bolivian Rams, 2 SAEs, 3 Congo Tetras, 4 Long Fin Rosy Barbs, 6 Sunset Platys, 2 Lyre Tailed Swordtails, 3 Peppered Corys, 2 YoYo Loaches
    3 gal. planted nano (no Co2) - 1 spotted puffer, 3 Neon Tetras

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a gift - cocoa_pleco   To A Great AC Member! :) - MeganL3985   Good Luck With Everything - MeganL3985   You might not know anything about SW tanks but you helped anyways!  Here's your first SW fish... enjoy! - rageybug   For you! Thanks! lol - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    my ludwigia (also a stem plant) took about a month and a half to get rooted. for the longest time some stems would just float around the top of the tank and i would collect them and press them back into the gravel, after about 80% of the plants were in place, i left the floaters alone and eventually they found their way. i think one died. i also have no CO2 and a 10g. i think the hornwort will be rooted much faster then the ludwigia, as it is a fast growing plant.
    10g- planted freshwater
    10 gallon freshwater, planted tank
    1 Redigobius balteatus (rhinohorn goby), 2 Trichopsis pumila (sparkling gourami), 5 mircorasbora erythromicron (emerald dwarf rasbora), 1 Celestichthys margaritatus (celestial pearl danio), 1 Dermogenys pusilla (wrestling halfbeak), 6 amano shrimp
    lots o malayn needle point snails
    3g- freshwater
    java moss

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dave66   

0 Not allowed!
    Hornwort is by nature a floating plant. It does not root. Those are simply hold-fasts to keep the plant in place. Ditch moss is also primarily a floater, and though it can produce small roots, what comes out of the stem are hold-fasts.
    Just FYI, the longest single stem of Anacharis in nature on record was 33 feet long.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a gift - cocoa_pleco   To A Great AC Member! :) - MeganL3985   Good Luck With Everything - MeganL3985   You might not know anything about SW tanks but you helped anyways!  Here's your first SW fish... enjoy! - rageybug   For you! Thanks! lol - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbeining75
    How long will it take Anacharus and hogwort to root into the gravel of my 10 gallon.... I am not using ecocomplete or co2 system. I am using fert spikes and a chemical that adds potassium and iron.... They are bundled together and weighted at the bottom......

Thanks in advance.....
    you do mean hornwort right?
    hogwort is not an aquatic plant.
    10g- planted freshwater
    1 Redigobius balteatus (rhinohorn goby), 2 Trichopsis pumila (sparkling gourami), 5 mircorasbora erythromicron (emerald dwarf rasbora), 1 Celestichthys margaritatus (celestial pearl danio), 1 Dermogenys pusilla (wrestling halfbeak), 6 amano shrimp
    3g- freshwater
    java moss

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just a regular gift! - Rue   Wheres all your gifts JB?!  Heres another one! - MeganL3985   for a buddy - smaug   Welcome back - sailor   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jbeining75   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave66
    Just FYI, the longest single stem of Anacharis in nature on record was 33 feet long.

Dave
    I got some shears to take care of that lol..... Thanks guys....

Yeah hornwort lol...sorry ( I watched Harry Potter today lol... Hogwartz)
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave66
    Hornwort is by nature a floating plant. It does not root. Those are simply hold-fasts to keep the plant in place. Ditch moss is also primarily a floater, and though it can produce small roots, what comes out of the stem are hold-fasts.

Dave
    i didn't realize that hornwort did not root, is it a type of seaweed? i guess i am thinking of milfoil which i know is a very close relative of hornwort. whenever i see it in michigan (where it should not be) it always has long stems that go way down 20 or so feet and then the bushy top takes over about 3 feet from the surface. i guess i always assumed it was rooted way down there.
    10g- planted freshwater
    3g- freshwater
    java moss

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   heres a easter egg for easter! - cocoa_pleco   you need a slush - Lady Hobbs   What? Only 3 gifts? I'll change that! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, hornwort is a floating plant, ad does best floating. As for the anacharis, I've had some get rooted and growing n only two weeks. Seems abou the usual for most stem plants.
    CORRECTED video of my fish. This link works. For sure. Really.

Tanks:
    20g long: 4 panda cories, 1 honey gourami, 1 apistogramma borellii, 1 male cacatuoides
    20g High: 3 bolivian rams, 12 rasboras
    8g hex: empty
    5g: empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dave66   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by karbomb
    i didn't realize that hornwort did not root, is it a type of seaweed? i guess i am thinking of milfoil which i know is a very close relative of hornwort. whenever i see it in michigan (where it should not be) it always has long stems that go way down 20 or so feet and then the bushy top takes over about 3 feet from the surface. i guess i always assumed it was rooted way down there.
    Kar,
    Nope, not seaweed. Just a floating freshwater plant, like most all the worts in the hobby, like crystalwort (Riccia). They aren't flowering plants, like most aquatic plants are, and spread by vegetative fractioning. That is, a piece breaks off, and the broken plant turns in a brand new functioning plant.
    Hornwort is hard and brittle, so pieces break off easily.
    Funny thing is those plants used to be classified as algae, but they are real plants.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go