· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Did a water change about 50%. Ran out to wal-mart and bought a test kit. Came home and tested it, it was .25 which the bottle showed as being safe. Lost another tetra while I was gone
    180 Gallon

Moderately Planted
    3 Neon Blue Dwarf Gouramis
    10 Harlequin Rasboras
    10 Cardinal Tetras
    5 Leopard Cories
    3 Black Kuhli Loachs
    3 Oto's
    1 Albino Bushynose Pleco

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yea, you may lose some fish, and sadly to say, you may lose them all. so it is good to do some reading.

.25 for AM is not safe, AM at 0.0 is safe. but during the cycle you'll need some AM in there...

read that link I posted at the beginning if this tread if you have not yet, and this one is a good start as well..

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

I am off for the night ,, hang in there, all of us on here have done this in the past.. it is a very command mistake. but it will get better..
    I like Pie.. and I love my Fish.. so whats your game?

My Photos, enjoy.
    My Photo Bucket

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Xandict welcome to AC. Sorry about your fish man.
    Definitely listen to ProEve, he helped me out when I was in your situation not too long ago. Fish are very sensitive to ammonia, it's like poison. I recommend you get a small bottle of Seachem Stability it really helped speed up my cycle and 8 or 9 days after I started using it my cycle was complete. It's easy to use and not expensive.
    Last edited by Carlos_x3; 03-05-2008 at 03:23 AM.
    30g Long Planted South American BioTope Blue Rams & Apisto + Community
    Formerly Carlos_x3, RamGuy13

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've read about the cycling but It made me confused and since I already have fish in there I'm even more confused. IF all of them were to die would the cycling still continue?
    180 Gallon

Moderately Planted
    3 Neon Blue Dwarf Gouramis
    10 Harlequin Rasboras
    10 Cardinal Tetras
    5 Leopard Cories
    3 Black Kuhli Loachs
    3 Oto's
    1 Albino Bushynose Pleco

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yeah with ammonia that high it basiclly kills the fish off and i know from personal experience the ph 6.0 or lower is acidic and kills the fish slowly and i learned that from the owner of my work that has owned fish for 25 years.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have tried the suction cup real time PH and Ammo monitors, they prove to be a little difficult to read and don't always match up exactly with the liquid test kits. I normally test every 2-3 days with my liquid test kit just to be sure of pH. Investing in a liquid test kit should be 2nd on the list after buying your tank. I was also one of those people who didn't know much and jumped into things before coming here and reading info. Luckily, I was able to read up here and find out what to do before my mistakes ended up in dead fish. Also, thanks to AC I was able to cycle my newest (36 gal) tank in about 3 days with ammonia and established substrate from my 7 gallon tank.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The best thing that I can tell you right now is to keep an eye on your Ammonia and Nitrites levels. When youíre ammonia levels hit about 0.5 do a 50% water change. Also keep an eye on your nitrate levels and also when they hit about 0.5 do a 50% water change. If all your tetras die, you may have to go down and get some zebra danio about 4 will be enough, and continue the cycling process. Using Seachem Stability will help the cycling process but it is not necessarily needed if youíre unable to afford it this time. I canít emphasize enough on watching your water parameters and doing a water change when they hit about 0.5. Just make sure that you use a de-chlorine product like Start Right this product is made by Jungle. It is a complete water conditioner that removes chlorine and other heavy metals.

I also understand that this is a very frustrating moment for you to try to do some nice for a loved one, then disaster breaks out, itís OK it get better from here.

My Photos, enjoy.
    My Photo Bucket

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What a nice post you do have in here Xandict and Pr0eve,

I just want to comment about the pH. I personally do not monitor it or try to change it to exactly fit my fish requirements. Where I live the water is very hard and has a high pH (>8.0). I just make sure it is not different by more than 0.5 when I do water changes. I finally decided not to go with any fish that requires very soft water hardness or a very acid pH.

Good luck with your cycle Xandict. I'm sorry about your fish.
    Luis

What fish would you like to be...???

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This process that youíre going through at the moment is one of the main reasons why people discontinue the aquatic hobby, but it is one of the most easiest situations to rectify. The cycling process of an aquarium is a process that has to be gone through every time a person sets up a new aquarium. Do not give up hope and be sure to learn from past mistakes, everyone on this forum has gone through this. This is also one of the most widely made mistakes in this hobby. Now youíve probably thought to yourself, Is all this time, money and headaches worth it? YES. If itís The wonderfulness and peacefulness that you get from this forever continuing hobby is priceless, thatís why we do it.
    Last edited by Pr0eve; 03-05-2008 at 04:47 PM.

My Photos, enjoy.
    My Photo Bucket

Awards Showcase

You deserve a gift ! :) - MeganL3985 For doing research!  BTW...college ;) - Rue Put him with Bruce.... - jbeining75 Its good to have company - smaug Thought this might help while your're sick. Hope you feel better soon. - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    For the cards - William An Apple For Teaching Grad!  Congrats! - MeganL3985 You deserve to let yourself go for all the hard work you did to graduate!!! - Bolivian Ram Here's an apple for the teacher, great job Ellen - sailor A koi, because they love being in a school!! - smaug 
    Congrats on the job - sailor congrats on the job ! - Algenco For getting your teaching job - snipers_den Welcome back! - fins_n_fur merry xmas - smaug 
    For the new tank - Northernguy Way to go! DIY Stand. - Northernguy My condolances to you and your family. - Mith Good Luck, thanks for the rep! - Wild Turkey I thought you might like a Frontosa. - Brookfish 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Ellen4God Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Hey! I'm glad you're getting help with your cycling. :) It will definitely help you in the long run.

Pr0eve has basically said it all, but I wanted to just let you know that I was in your same boat. I had four guppies in my tank when I "decided to cycle" it. I basically just did routine water changes (at least 20% everyday or every other day), and I also checked the ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte levels everyday. I would say that I did water changes depending on what the readings were, but I did the regardless really. When I saw the high spike in ammonia and nitrIte levels (as Pr0eve was discussing), I did larger water changes. I did not add anything to my tank at all - no products to help speed it along or anything. I can't remember exactly how long it took me, but I think it was at least a couple weeks until I finally reached readings of 0 on both ammonia and nitrIte. After you've had your spike in readings, they will go back down, and once they reach 0 (for ammonia AND nitrIte), then you're cycled! That was such a wonderful day for me!!!

If you have not gotten a master test kit, you definitely should. This will help you out a LOT! I also have a table I made to record my readings on every time I tested the water. I'll attach it so that you can have a look at it. If you want to use it, great! Go ahead. If not, that's fine too. :) Just thought I would share it. Keep us updated on how things are going! And don't be afraid to ask more questions - I always ask TONS. lol
    Attached Files Attached Files