· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Outdoor Tank: Plant Ideas

0 Not allowed!
    I'm in the midst of planning an outdoor tank. This will be a 100% natural planted tank using a soil substrate with a thin sand top layer. I'm hoping to be able to get some plants that will be able to stand up to Goldfish since that is the only fish I can think of that would be able to handle the outdoor temp range here. I live in South Carolina so we do get some cooler temps in the winter and some rather warm temps in the summer. Light will be 100% provided by sunlight and there will be no heater. I am planning for a low powered pump for water movement alone. I am figuring on having to do some pond plants that can withstand the elements here and hopefully some fully submersed plants as well. Any ideas I can get for plants or maybe even some alternates to Goldfish would be great as well.

BTW, tank size is 125gal.
    Last edited by ILuvMyGoldBarb; 03-03-2008 at 11:51 PM.

Awards Showcase

Wishing You the Very Best for the New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year - Celtic Fins Happy new year! - Brookfish happy new year! - The Red Severum All Sailors love coffee - jbeining75 
    Sailor - Brookfish cheers bud! - Crispy Happy Birthday bud! - Brookfish thanks for the rep! - Lab_Rat congrats on motm - Lab_Rat 
    Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the nomination - Cliff Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff No Message - cer Thanks for the rep - Cliff 
    thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra Happy Birthday - KingFisher thanks for the rep:) Zebra pleco for you! - Northerly Merry Christmas - Cliff Just a Thanks! - Plecos 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor Autism - sailor 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb
    I'm in the midst of planning an outdoor tank. This will be a 100% natural planted tank using a soil substrate with a thin sand top layer. I'm hoping to be able to get some plants that will be able to stand up to Goldfish since that is the only fish I can think of that would be able to handle the outdoor temp range here. I live in South Carolina so we do get some cooler temps in the winter and some rather warm temps in the summer. Light will be 100% provided by sunlight and there will be no heater. I am planning for a low powered pump for water movement alone. I am figuring on having to do some pond plants that can withstand the elements here and hopefully some fully submersed plants as well. Any ideas I can get for plants or maybe even some alternates to Goldfish would be great as well.

BTW, tank size is 125gal.
    GB,
    You could do guppies (60 to 90 temp range). Any livebearer would work.
    You could run a bunch of the ornate danios (choprai, margaritatus) long as the temps are between 65 and 75, and you'd end up with bunches of fry in a tank that size with lush plantings, and with the demand for them, you could make some money. Several Otocinclus to keep the algae under control, about four hours direct, the rest indirect, sunlight and fish do fantastic in outdoor tanks. Might want to run an air pump to keep the pH stable and keep the water topped off.
    Water will be a touch green with the sunlight. If you can get ahold of some clean freshwater mussels, they'll take care of it.
    Even the gold fish would have to be moved when it gets too cold or too warm, so you might get a couple three months with any fish you choose.
    You can plant it with swords and crypts just like an indoor tank. Both can bloom outdoors.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so I;ve made some progress on the species of fish I'm wanting to keep. After a bit of research I think I've really settled on Rainbow Dace. They are absolutely stunning little beauties that are found right here in our own waters.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    around here dave the temperature can get down to 0*F I know a couple of people that keep their goldfish/koi in their ponds all year round and they have lived for years. They just break the top of the ice to keep the water pump running.

GB sounds like you will have a great pond setup!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus29
    around here dave the temperature can get down to 0*F I know a couple of people that keep their goldfish/koi in their ponds all year round and they have lived for years. They just break the top of the ice to keep the water pump running.

GB sounds like you will have a great pond setup!
    Nautilus,
    If the pond doesn't freeze solid and there's a hole in the ice for gas exchange, the goldfish, which are carp, just slip into a stupor until it warms up again. Pond has to be at least four feet deep for Koi. You don't feed goldfish nor Koi when the temp drops to 60 degrees.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

0 Not allowed!
    Notropis lutrensis is the species I'm figuring on. I figure that there will be a somewhat constant supply of live foods for them since we seem to be able to grow mosquitos rather well down here, however they will be fed normally as well. After doing some research on them I've found that even though they are bred in Singapore as tropical/sub-tropical fish, they are actually found in US waterways as far north as WI.

Something I am also considering very seriously with this is an open top so that the plants can grow out over the top. I may nix this idea though in favor of a plexiglass lid.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown