· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Silver tetra ???

0 Not allowed!
    Is this fish a silver tetra? My lfs was selling them as "shadow tetras" and I can't find any info under that name. I have 3 in my community tank and they have a narrow profile when you look at them head on. They are pretty fish, but a bit skittish. Any other info on them would be appreciated. My one Buenos Aires tetra schools with them, but he's a bit of a bully.
    Thanks!

IMG_0226-1.jpg IMG_0229-1.jpg

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    they don't look light enough to be a white skirt tetra, but not dark enough to be a black skirt tetra, lol, but either way thats what they are, some sort of skirt tetra
    10 gal tropical tank (mainly snails w/7 fish), 5 rats, 4 parakeets, 1 senegal parrot, 2 degus, 1 snake, 1 blue tongue skink, 3 mice, 1 rabbit, 1 ferret, 5 cats, 1 dog

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think it is a black skirt,I have some that look much like that.

Awards Showcase

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco You make me laugh! - Drumachine09 And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco 
    There. Thats better. - Drumachine09 maybe one day we can enjoy one of these - sergo Congrats you recived a RAK gift enjoy! - DemonShark RAK - DemonShark RAK - DemonShark 
    Cheers! - Nick_Pavlovski Since Wendy's is only open 4 hours! - aliz340 For Your Help And Friendship - MeganL3985 Hope you a good time in Germany - alizee340 Good to have you back around the forum! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    Thanks....you could use some Luck with your fish too! - **AquaQueen** I'm baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for helping whne it's needed! - **AquaQueen** Back at you, CP! - Dave66 You send me fruit I send you pizza!! LOL!! - 2manyfish a fish for the new 5.5g salt! lol - cocoa_pleco 
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - cocoa_pleco Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - cocoa_pleco Childhood Cancer - cocoa_pleco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - cocoa_pleco 

0 Not allowed!
    looks like a pale black skirt

0 Not allowed!
    That's Gymnocorymbus thayeri, which is closely related to G. ternetzi, the Black or Black Widow Tetra. Thayeri likes to be in groups of its fellows, and prefers water pH 6.5 to 7.0, moderately soft and 75 to 78 degrees. Great fish, they, and they don't suffer from the aggression problems ternetzi develops when they mature.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

For doing such good research!! - Rue hehe. - Tolley nascar prize - sailor Happy Birthday! - squirt_12 For rescuing feeders!  Way to go! - Rue 
    Thanks for the rep! - robnepper To the only guy to quote himself! - Mr.Prototype Thinking of Noah & your family xxx - Fishalicious For your 1 year at AC xxx - Fishalicious Not enough gifts - The Red Severum 
    you need more! - The Red Severum one more! - The Red Severum won the lottery with your donation, had to buy you a beer - mrs fishpatrick Time for another round! - northernguy A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey 
    Here's one on the house, Nick. - robnepper Merry Christmas - Northernguy Thanks!! - Wild Turkey your info has been great the last couple of days - The Red Severum I appreciate your generousity! - Brookfish 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - NickFish Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NickFish Childhood Cancer - NickFish Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - NickFish 

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, black widow, sometimes called black skirt although black skirts and black widows are separate species.

They like to be in groups of at least 6-8. They will probably get darker in color as they get used to the tank. If you put them into a larger school they will also get a darker color. Usually their entire skirt and parts of their body turns a nice black color with age.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the replies! I was thrown off by their color - they are almost totally silver in color. I'll add a few more so I can have a proper school of these fish.

0 Not allowed!
    I've seen the "silver tetras", found them when I was looking for more black widows to go with mine. They aren't actually black skirt or black widow tetras or the white skirts, they are actually a silver strain, just like Dave had said in his post, (except I didn't know the proper name for them, lol) so if they are the proper silver tetras, they won't get the black black skirt like the widows.
    They still like the same conditions though, and look great in a school! Have fun!

Awards Showcase

beer party! - cocoa_pleco have a margarita on me... - digital3 congrats on the angels! - cocoa_pleco heres a drink too.... i dont like drinking alone - arkie have a burger! - cocoa_pleco 
    and a beer... - cocoa_pleco and a slush for desert! - cocoa_pleco Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry christmas! - cocoa_pleco Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12 
    cuz u needed a gift from me and I have no idea what this is lol - richberstler Happy Holidays! - digital3 happy new year - arkie Here's some candy I stole from Lindsay. Haha! - KcEE For a new mate, - CAX474 
    to the soon to be professional fish breeder! - cocoa_pleco Zachery Ty Bryan Award - richberstler Happy Birthday Dillon - OscarFan Here's a Cafe Latte for you! - KcEE Get well soon!!! - KcEE 
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - mitcore Childhood Cancer - mitcore Hepatitis C - mitcore 

0 Not allowed!
    it does look like a skirt, though it looks a little like a phantom as well
    3ft
    tetras ,platties ,guppies,corys
    4 bristle noses,peacock eel,sword tails
    paradise fish
    1 male betta, a female betta
    bumble bee gobi, harliquin rasbroas, mystery snails
    4ft
    angels, gouramis, bristle noses,3 silver fin sharks
    widows,khulis,severums
    corys ,rainbows,keyholes,snails, 4 bristle noses