· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spotted gar

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It won't do any good. You should just save your money for the 300 gallon.
    EDIT: Are you talking about that contest from drs foster and smith? They announce the winner in 5-6 months for that 180 gallon.
    !~*Shockshockshad*~!
    30 gallon
    Heavily Planted SE Asian biotope
    -2 SAE's, 13 threadfin rainbows, 6 White Cloud Mtn. Minnows and a dwarf gourami

12 gallon
    2 bamboo shrimp, couple cherry shrimp, 10 neons, 6 CPD's and 8 spotted rasboras

75 gallon
    South American tank
    -1 Firemouth , 1 blue acara

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by shockshockshad
    It won't do any good. You should just save your money for the 300 gallon.
    EDIT: Are you talking about that contest from drs foster and smith? They announce the winner in 5-6 months for that 180 gallon.
    I dont have room for a 300 gallon (a 180 is pushing it) and I'm not talking about that contest.
    15 gallon goldfish tank
    -2 8 year old goldfish

30 gallon planted tank
    -Pumpkinseed (wild)

75 gallon tank
    -Spotted Gar
    -Oscar
    -Male and female Jack Dempseys

15 gallon
    -Psycho Convict
    ( Murder charges x2)

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh. It was just a coinicedence then! If you don't have room for the gar, I would return it. You need to. Its gonna get 4 feet long.
    !~*Shockshockshad*~!
    30 gallon
    Heavily Planted SE Asian biotope
    -2 SAE's, 13 threadfin rainbows, 6 White Cloud Mtn. Minnows and a dwarf gourami

12 gallon
    2 bamboo shrimp, couple cherry shrimp, 10 neons, 6 CPD's and 8 spotted rasboras

75 gallon
    South American tank
    -1 Firemouth , 1 blue acara

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They won't get more than 2 feet in a tank, hopefully not more than 18 inches. Mine are in a 100 gallon now, but I plan to build a 300-400 gallon tank within a year. Make sure you don't let them go in the western United States. They're restricted and will decimate native fish populations.

These are my favorite fish. Very tame, they eat anything, even flake food, and even let me stroke them as they try and bite my fingers!

I have a heavily planted tank with large wood stumps, some south American gars, these 10 inch Florida spotted gars, 2 tilapia, and a common pleco.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by goleafs
    I just got a spotted gar. This is the true gar type ( not a needlefish ). He might get a bit big for my tank and might eat my needlefish but appearently my oscar's safe. When I saw it for sale I was like wooooooooowwwwwww so I had to get it. I've never seen a true gar for sale before. Pics soon. It's gonna be pretty cool having a dinosaur in my tank.
    you should get like a 10 or 15 gallon and dedicate it to goldfish to treat and breed your own food!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've tried to breed and raise my own feeder fish and unless you have 5 or more tanks or at least 60 gallons each they will take much too long to raise. It's best to feed them something other than goldfish too. These don't have all the right nutrients gars need. I'd go with freeze dried krill that are vitamin enhanced. When they get full sized, less than 2 feet I think mine will be eating beef chunks for stew from the grocery store.

Unfortunatly you will need at least a 300 gallon to allow them room to turn as adults. You might considder seeing if there are public aquariums in your area that have these gars.

My plan if I can't keep mine (I do plan to though) is to give them to my local public aquarium that has a humongous tank full of them.

0 Not allowed!
    We have discussed this before. That fish needs a larger tank than you obviously are able to provide. That's okay, but then you need to do the right thing and make sure the animal has a home that is appropriate.

I grow tired of having to repeat myself on this issue.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As you already have this fish and I do as well (I have 3), I'd think about making a large tank for it or seriously call public aquariums and see if any will take it when it gets big. I'm going to build a 300-400 gallon tank soon. Most of the sides can be thick plywood and just the front needs to be glass if you want to cut costs. A 300-500 gallon tank is quite expensive, in the thousands of dollars if you buy it already made, unless you're lucky and get a used one.

I would make a huge tank for mine five feet wide if it were not such that I'm an apartment dweller and have to get it through a door. I'll try to make one 3 feet wide and as long as possible. I believe 3 by 3 by 9 is about 300 gallons. Eventualy I plan on having a house where I will have an even bigger tank though. You can make a mostly plywood tank and coat the inside with a special epoxy etc etc. I'll give you links if you're interested.

The best way to keep them as small as possible is to feed as little as possible. Mine are gluttons and will eat way more than they need to. I would actually feed all your large fish by hand and try to give all of them just enough to keep them from being starved. No need to be cruel, but really, they will always beg for food and that's something you'll have to get used to.

I think the best food avaliable is freeze dried krill. It's a low-density food that mine love. I used to feed Hikari carnivore sticks and this food just made them too stuffed. With the krill you can feed more without them getting as much actual food and it's very nutritious.

One last thing: These gars can die suddenly out of the blue unless you add some salt to the water. I forget the recommended amount for a fresh water aquarium, but it keeps them from getting bacterial infections which they're more and more susceptible to as they grow. Make sure it's not iodised salt. Sea salt is what I use.

Why can't you have a bigger than 180 gallon tank anyway?
    Last edited by garman; 04-10-2008 at 03:05 AM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking that if you can't return this fish or have no aquarium to give it to the 180 gallon will work for a while. I would fill the tank with plants and aquarium wood as this will give the fish shelter and possibly help to make it stunt a little more than if it's in a bare tank.

It's very fun to feed them, but you should think of slowing it's growth as much as possible. I have some South American gars that get 2 feet in the wild. I've had them for 4 years, they're now in a 100 gallon tank, and they're only 7 and 8 inches long. They're not growing anymore. If you can keep them as small as possible in their early life they may only get to 18 inches long. Good Luck!

0 Not allowed!
    I will speak for a large volume of our members by saying that purposefully stunting the growth of a fish is NOT AT ALL appropriate or responsible fish keeping.

Gee, I wish my daughter would always be little like this. Think I'll raise her in the closet and only give her snacks.

8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.