· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp ordered!

1. Default Shrimp ordered!

0 Not allowed!
    My wife ordered several shrimp for our 55g tank. She's been browsing Arizona Aquatic Gardens for several months, and finally pulled the trigger on:

5 Cherry Shrimp
    4 Singapore Wood Shrimp
    5 Rudolph the Red Nosed Shrimp
    5 Bumble Bee Shrimp
    5 Dwarf Emerald Green Deora Algae Eating Shrimp
    12 Nerite Snails

Shrimp are a little tough to find, so I thought I'd mention Arizona Aquatic Gardens...I will update this thread when they arrive (Wednesday). They are being shipped Tuesday from AZ to OH.

I was thinking outfitting the tank with something similar to one of the Algae Squad packages. They claim that they can almost completely mitigate troublesome algae growth.

We'll see how this first shipment goes. :)
    Last edited by Commodore 64; 02-26-2008 at 12:33 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on your order. Keep us posted.
    75 gallon planted tank with discus, GBR's and cardinals

135 gallon saltwater FOWLR work in progress and desperately need help

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I get my plants at az gardens. Pretty nice selcection.
    !~*Shockshockshad*~!
    30 gallon
    Heavily Planted SE Asian biotope
    -2 SAE's, 13 threadfin rainbows, 6 White Cloud Mtn. Minnows and a dwarf gourami

12 gallon
    2 bamboo shrimp, couple cherry shrimp, 10 neons, 6 CPD's and 8 spotted rasboras

75 gallon
    South American tank
    -1 Firemouth , 1 blue acara

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The Az Gardens folks said that the shrimp are used to a little salt. 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons. I did a search on this forum, and the opinions are very mixed on salt...

The rate of 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons is pretty low, compared to what I've seen discussed (on the order of 1 Tablespoon per 5-10 gallons)...so I went ahead and added 2.5 teaspoons of aquarium salt to my tank.

At the moment the denizens of my tank are 1 red-tailed shark, 1 molly, 1 apple snail, 1 old cory cat, and 1 golden chinese algae eater.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The shrimp should be awesome. AZ gardens is a good store. They have a great selection and usually ship out Thursdays I think it is... Take some pics when you got them ready.
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

Awards Showcase

Wishing You the Very Best for the New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year - Celtic Fins Happy new year! - Brookfish happy new year! - The Red Severum All Sailors love coffee - jbeining75 
    Sailor - Brookfish cheers bud! - Crispy Happy Birthday bud! - Brookfish thanks for the rep! - Lab_Rat congrats on motm - Lab_Rat 
    Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the nomination - Cliff Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff No Message - cer Thanks for the rep - Cliff 
    thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra Happy Birthday - KingFisher thanks for the rep:) Zebra pleco for you! - Northerly Merry Christmas - Cliff Just a Thanks! - Plecos 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor Autism - sailor 

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like a great mix, I can't wait to see some pics once they are settled in
    Sailor

Aye Aye

0 Not allowed!
    sounds good look forward to pics
    angelcakes (penny)
    "The big fish eats the small one."
    -- Sephardic saying

chat link
    http://theaquaticlounge.chatango.com/

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like an awesome variety! Can't wait to see some pix!
    The former ZCciVic22!

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car; Oversteer is when you hit with the rear. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like a nice selection of shrimp, hope they all arrive in top shape.

As for the "Algae Squad" .... I'd have some reservations about buying them. Two SAEs for a 10g tank? It'll take care of your algae alright, but what are you going to do with them once they grow up? Two otos? They gregarious fish and should be kept in larger groups than that.

The packages for larger tanks aren't much of any better. Unless you want exclusively algae eating critters in your tank you're going to rapidly reach your stocking limit with just the fish in the packages.

I'd pick and choose a smaller selection and try to control my nitrates/phosphates to limit algae growth.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 02-26-2008 at 03:04 PM.
    My AC Fish Gallery:
    Another gallery with my fish

21 Gallon - 3 Ornate Tetras, 7 Pencilfish, 1 Oto cat, 7 Amano shrimp, 1 Peckoltia brevis, 1 clown pleco
    15 Gallon - 1 clown pleco, 6 threadfin rainbows
    10 Gallon - 7 Galaxy Rasboras, 4 Betta rutilans, Cherry shrimp, 1 Hillstream Loach
    65 Gallon - Cycling!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Regarding pics...

What is the best way to take pics of aquarium inmates? I've tried before, and they all look like the picture was taken through glass (go figure) and are somewhat out of focus.

I took a look in the thread for Pictures of the month, and the semifinalist's pictures are crystal clear. Is there a trick I don't know about?

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    As for the "Algae Squad" .... I'd have some reservations about buying them... Unless you want exclusively algae eating critters in your tank you're going to rapidly reach your stocking limit with just the fish in the packages.
    It did occur to me that there wouldn't be much room for anything else after the algae squad was stocked.