· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the A.C fellow Dutchy  xxxx - Fishalicious   Happy Valentines Day xxx - Fishalicious   thanks for the nomination :) - shalafi04   thanks for the tubes!!! - sharkbite   Hope your little gal is better soon xxxx - Fishalicious   

Default Snail Identification Question

0 Not allowed!
    While I'm waiting for my tank to cycle, I've noticed I have about 10 small snails in my tank...apparently they don't mind the high level of nitrates. They are kind of small for a decent picture with my photography skills and camera, but their shells look to be black and yellow. I assumed they hitchhiked on my plants as I didn't buy them. Also, I see a lot of little brown dots/drops on some of my plants...are these snail eggs or poo? The drops fall off easily enough when I move the plant leaves. The don't seem to be eating the plants, and spend most of their time on the driftwood or on the tank glass. Any thoughts or a place to go look at for pictures?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Google freshwater snails and check the images?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the A.C fellow Dutchy  xxxx - Fishalicious   Happy Valentines Day xxx - Fishalicious   thanks for the nomination :) - shalafi04   thanks for the tubes!!! - sharkbite   Hope your little gal is better soon xxxx - Fishalicious   

0 Not allowed!
    I tried google, but not that way...it's worth a shot! Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a gift - cocoa_pleco   To A Great AC Member! :) - MeganL3985   Good Luck With Everything - MeganL3985   You might not know anything about SW tanks but you helped anyways!  Here's your first SW fish... enjoy! - rageybug   For you! Thanks! lol - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    are there shells black and yellow, like striped? or are some black and some yellow? do they have long cone shaped shells? very evident spiral shells, circular with very evident begging and end? or just round shells?
    google malaysian trumpet snail, ramshorn snail, mystery snail, and pond snail. let us know what it most resembles.
    10g- planted freshwater
    10 gallon freshwater, planted tank
    1 Redigobius balteatus (rhinohorn goby), 2 Trichopsis pumila (sparkling gourami), 5 mircorasbora erythromicron (emerald dwarf rasbora), 1 Celestichthys margaritatus (celestial pearl danio), 1 Dermogenys pusilla (wrestling halfbeak), 6 amano shrimp
    lots o malayn needle point snails
    3g- freshwater
    java moss

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

beer party! - cocoa_pleco   have a margarita on me... - digital3   congrats on the angels! - cocoa_pleco   heres a drink too.... i dont like drinking alone - arkie   have a burger! - cocoa_pleco   
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - mitcore   Childhood Cancer - mitcore   Hepatitis C - mitcore   

0 Not allowed!
    they might be mystery snails see my fry thread for a pic of what they look like small
    it is in this sect
    3ft
    tetras ,platties ,guppies,corys
    4 bristle noses,peacock eel,sword tails
    paradise fish
    1 male betta, a female betta
    bumble bee gobi, harliquin rasbroas, mystery snails
    4ft
    angels, gouramis, bristle noses,3 silver fin sharks
    widows,khulis,severums
    corys ,rainbows,keyholes,snails, 4 bristle noses
    congo tetras,
    breeder tank
    angel breeding pair
    3ft divided angel breeder
    1 breeding pair,fry and ghost knife
    platty tank
    1 river fish,platties
    G,O,T

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    @mitcore - Thanks, but the picture is too small for me this early in the morning LOL

@karbomb - I'll have to take one out of the tank, but they don't appear to be striped, just yellow bits on the black, unless they will look like stripes as their shells get bigger. I have done some checking on photos, but will do more when I'm at the office and more awake. I think the shell is just round.

They seem to like hanging out on the driftwood where I appear to have diatoms (new tank and still cycling) and like pooing on my plant leaves.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

beer party! - cocoa_pleco   have a margarita on me... - digital3   congrats on the angels! - cocoa_pleco   heres a drink too.... i dont like drinking alone - arkie   have a burger! - cocoa_pleco   
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - mitcore   Childhood Cancer - mitcore   Hepatitis C - mitcore   

0 Not allowed!
    no worries
    when you wake up a bit check it out it might be your snails
    mystery snail dont always come in yellow i currently have balck ones as well and they have laid 2 big batches of eggs LOL
    so many snails what to do
    3ft
    tetras ,platties ,guppies,corys
    4 bristle noses,peacock eel,sword tails
    paradise fish
    1 male betta, a female betta
    bumble bee gobi, harliquin rasbroas, mystery snails
    4ft
    angels, gouramis, bristle noses,3 silver fin sharks
    widows,khulis,severums
    corys ,rainbows,keyholes,snails, 4 bristle noses
    congo tetras,
    breeder tank
    angel breeding pair
    3ft divided angel breeder
    1 breeding pair,fry and ghost knife
    platty tank
    1 river fish,platties
    G,O,T

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have looked at lots of pictures of snails on the web, and none seem to match mine, so either they are still two small for the shells to be identifiable or I have mutants in my tank LOL. I'll try to photograph one on the weekend when I have more time and post up.

Just saw one up close: Shells appears to conical, and have a translucent yellow gold colour networked over with black lines (almost like a honeycomb) with light grey bodies. Thoughts?
    Last edited by fins_n_fur; 02-28-2008 at 06:43 AM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    You probably have one of the normal stow-away snails...pond snails (i hope not) or malaysian trumpet snails (which wouldnt be bad).

I dont really think that they could be mystery or any other type of apple snail because usually people realize they have them when they sell plants or anything and they grow quite large.

Where did you get your tank? Have you added any new plants or rocks from another tank?

OOO Another idea!! You probably have malaysian trumpet snails...they hitch-hiked from somewhere or if you have had this tank a while you probably always had them just never knew! The high levels of nitrates probably are making them surface for air since there is less oxygen in the water....Malaysian Trumpet snails are only seen if you have poor water quality or late at night with a flashlight.

Hope i have helped!
    ~~Kupcake~~
    2 Dogs ~ Lab and Spaniel Mixes
    4 Ferrets and 3 Rats

10gal:
    3 ADFs

20long:
    14 Mystery Snails

29gal:
    2 Angels, 1 Pleco, 3 Danios

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It's a new planted tank (just about a month old). They don't seem to mind the high nitrites and they are out all the time...I'm pretty sure that they hitchhiked on the plants. Good news is that the nitrites are almost down to zero which means my tank has nearly cycled. I will look for pictures of Malaysian trumpet snails again and re-compare. Thanks very much for your thoughts!