· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Scaled Fish that eat Algae...

0 Not allowed!
    The reason I mention the scaled fish is because even though I like otos, I can't get one. I've got too much salt in my tank. I was told that Platys like to eat algae, but I don't want any more livebearers if I can help it.

My guppies actually eat at the algae a little, but not much. I plan to get flurescent lights for the tank soon, but it wouldn't hurt to add some other fish who'll do the job for me.
    ------------------------------------
    10 Gallon:

Four Zebra Danios
    Two Guppies (1 male, 1 female)
    One Oto
    One Ghost/Glass Shrimp
    Three Guppy Fry

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here ya go. - Tigerbarb   A little something for a friend!! - Patriot   Thanks for being there! - NickFish   have a gift - mitcore   :D - harls_aussie   

0 Not allowed!
    I have snails in my 10g that came along with my live plants as hitchhikers, and they do an excellent job cleaning algae off of decorations and the aquarium walls. Sometimes you will find a plant or rock at a petstore with a crowd of snails on it.
    Snails or plecos seem to be the best algae cleaning maids.
    "Everybody knows, you only live a day, but it's brilliant anyway..."
    Elliott smith

20g nano reef
    55g FOWLR saltwater
    29g planted freshwater
    10g planted freshwater

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just a regular gift! - Rue   Wheres all your gifts JB?!  Heres another one! - MeganL3985   for a buddy - smaug   Welcome back - sailor   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jbeining75   

0 Not allowed!
    How about Siamese Algae Eater.....They are like 3 oto cats in 1..... Plus scales!!!
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

RAK - DemonShark   CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs   for new bed - Lady Hobbs   for new wife - Lady Hobbs   to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco   

0 Not allowed!
    Florida flag fish are good for hair algae
    As I get older I find myself thinking about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

AC's Free Aquarium Ebook

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You're hella cool! - Rocky06fx4   Thank you for your donation! - Tigerbarb   to my new drinking pal ;) - arkie   hope you dont mind...for cara get well soon - angelcakes   My heart goes to Cara - Get well Soon! - Tolley   
    Autism - ZCciVic22   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbarb
    I have snails in my 10g that came along with my live plants as hitchhikers, and they do an excellent job cleaning algae off of decorations and the aquarium walls. Sometimes you will find a plant or rock at a petstore with a crowd of snails on it.
    Snails or plecos seem to be the best algae cleaning maids.

I agree with Tiger mostly. Snails do a good job, as I have also gotten some hitchhikers on my plants, but I'm not sure how salty your water can be with them. I have one that is getting huge, but no salt is added to the tank. When we were kids, we would put salt on slugs, and they would shrivel up (I know I know... cruel). I may be way off as far as snails are concerned though.

As for plecos, they do a good job depending on the type. I have a Rubberlip pleco, and he does an excellent job cleaning alge. I also have a Common and a Royal who both do ok jobs! I have a Gold Nugget that could care less about alge. Also, if you decide on a Pleco, be sure to research research research! Some can get huge! Royals and Common both get very large. My Royal is only abou 2" right now, but my Common is right around 14". They are also turd machines.

How high is the salinity in your water, anyway?
    The former ZCciVic22!

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car; Oversteer is when you hit with the rear. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know how to check the salinity, but I put salt in the tank when i do water changes. I do it to lower stress and to keep any nitrites that might appear from affecting the fish.

My tank's small, so I'm just looking for something not too big. I would think that Snails wouldn't be able to handle any salt, but there are salt water snails out there. But don't they reproduced asexually? Wouldn't that mean I'm infested with snails eventually?
    10 Gallon:

Four Zebra Danios
    One Oto
    One Ghost/Glass Shrimp
    Three Guppy Fry

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You're hella cool! - Rocky06fx4   Thank you for your donation! - Tigerbarb   to my new drinking pal ;) - arkie   hope you dont mind...for cara get well soon - angelcakes   My heart goes to Cara - Get well Soon! - Tolley   
    Autism - ZCciVic22   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by B_Ez
    I don't know how to check the salinity, but I put salt in the tank when i do water changes. I do it to lower stress and to keep any nitrites that might appear from affecting the fish.

My tank's small, so I'm just looking for something not too big. I would think that Snails wouldn't be able to handle any salt, but there are salt water snails out there. But don't they reproduced asexually? Wouldn't that mean I'm infested with snails eventually?

How much salt do you put in? I add about a tablespoon/10gal. Most salt I've seen typically call for about 1tb/5gal, but I cut that in half due to the scaleless fish I have (ID Shark, Clown Knife) and Pleco's don't like much salt. All these fish do fine. If you're only adding the small amount during water changes, everything should be fine, or cut it down like I do.

Snails do reproduce asexually, which is why alot of people hate them. I've seen a few snails in my tank, and I may just be a lucky one who hasn't come across this problem (infestation). If I'm not mistaken, Dave loves snails, but Hobbs hates them. LOL like alot of things in this hobby, it really falls down to a matter of preference.
    The former ZCciVic22!

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car; Oversteer is when you hit with the rear. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by B_Ez

snails + a fish that eats snails.. the natural balance!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for identifying SW creature - cocoa_pleco   'Cause it's cute - Sasquatch   Merry Christmas And a Happy New Year! - Northernguy   You should have one of these!lol - Northernguy   Expert Shrimp Guesser! - Brhino   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - DragonGoby   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - DragonGoby   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - DragonGoby   

0 Not allowed!
    Actually you can also give a try to shrimps...
    Some can live happily in brackish water, and I think that Amano shrimps need it to grow up (if I remember correctly...).
    Last edited by DragonGoby; 02-19-2008 at 04:35 PM.
    21 gal: 4 Ornate, 7 Pencilfish, 1 Oto, 7 Amano, 1 Peckoltia-10 gal: 4 Betta rutilans, 6 Galaxy, 1 Cherry, 1 Hillstream -5 gal: 2 Endlers, snail, tiger shrimp-15 gal: 2 Peckoltia, 6 threadfin R.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Shrimps sound like a better option. So they'll eat brown algae?

I do the 1 teaspoon per 5 gallon, which winds up being two teaspoons.
    10 Gallon:

Four Zebra Danios
    One Oto
    One Ghost/Glass Shrimp
    Three Guppy Fry