· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

LOLOLOLOL - Lady Hobbs   Here's to capitals and periods!!!!!!! - Lady Hobbs   Sorry about photos - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    he is putting in an extremly low dose

just the normal tonic-style dose is a rounded tablespoon for every five gallons, and that's for freshwater
    Last edited by Levi; 02-19-2008 at 11:30 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's one for my new buddy! - 2manyfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Still I remember when I was going to put in that dose,and was advised against it because of the corys

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for identifying SW creature - cocoa_pleco   'Cause it's cute - Sasquatch   Merry Christmas And a Happy New Year! - Northernguy   You should have one of these!lol - Northernguy   Expert Shrimp Guesser! - Brhino   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - DragonGoby   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - DragonGoby   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - DragonGoby   

0 Not allowed!
    If you have freshwater only fish, better not use salt, even at low dose, with them... Sure they can live in it, but it's going to irritate (?) their gill and with scaleless fish can irritate their skin...
    As for the corydoras, because they're armor fish doesn't mean they can tolerate salt... What I've read on them is that, they can survive in level of salt like for a livebearer but don't like it very much... So they live, but not happily and not as long as you can hope for this kinfd of fish...

But still it's your choice and your tank, just keep us inform and good luck !
    21 gal: 4 Ornate, 7 Pencilfish, 1 Oto, 7 Amano, 1 Peckoltia-10 gal: 4 Betta rutilans, 6 Galaxy, 1 Cherry, 1 Hillstream -5 gal: 2 Endlers, snail, tiger shrimp-15 gal: 2 Peckoltia, 6 threadfin R.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, the main reason I put salt in the tank is to keep the nitrites that may form between water changes from harming my fish.

I think I'll just get some shrimp or something, because at least with them I don't have to worry about the small amount of salt.
    ------------------------------------
    10 Gallon:

Four Zebra Danios
    Two Guppies (1 male, 1 female)
    One Oto
    One Ghost/Glass Shrimp
    Three Guppy Fry

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for identifying SW creature - cocoa_pleco   'Cause it's cute - Sasquatch   Merry Christmas And a Happy New Year! - Northernguy   You should have one of these!lol - Northernguy   Expert Shrimp Guesser! - Brhino   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - DragonGoby   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - DragonGoby   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - DragonGoby   

0 Not allowed!
    Why do you need that? Does your aquarium not cycled already?
    Because if it's cycle, you don't need it... nitrites will not show... Unless you have a major problem or add a lot of fish at once...
    We used to put salt in our 10 gal as well, for our livebearer, but afer adding a catfish, we stop (slowly!) to use it, and we didn't have problem of nitrites...

Still, good luck and keep us posted!!!
    21 gal: 4 Ornate, 7 Pencilfish, 1 Oto, 7 Amano, 1 Peckoltia-10 gal: 4 Betta rutilans, 6 Galaxy, 1 Cherry, 1 Hillstream -5 gal: 2 Endlers, snail, tiger shrimp-15 gal: 2 Peckoltia, 6 threadfin R.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

LOLOLOLOL - Lady Hobbs   Here's to capitals and periods!!!!!!! - Lady Hobbs   Sorry about photos - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonGoby
    If you have freshwater only fish, better not use salt, even at low dose, with them... Sure they can live in it, but it's going to irritate (?) their gill and with scaleless fish can irritate their skin...
    As for the corydoras, because they're armor fish doesn't mean they can tolerate salt... What I've read on them is that, they can survive in level of salt like for a livebearer but don't like it very much... So they live, but not happily and not as long as you can hope for this kinfd of fish...

But still it's your choice and your tank, just keep us inform and good luck !
    most freshwater fish can tolerate small amounts of salt just fine

in fact, it's good for them

gives them electrolytes

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I know that is good for some livebearer but it's not recommanded if your fish have no problem and no illness... Better use it for treating desease like ich, but if they're ok, you don't need it, I mean, the fish don't need it...

On this I only repeat what we have been told by the great majority of this forum on our platies ... And our fishies are all very well and are beautifully colored...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    i think you guys are getting confused between brackish water and just adding a small amount of aquarium salt

with brackish you would use marine salt, and in a higher amount

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I know the difference between aquarium salt : for treatment, and marine salt, for brackish and saltwater system...
    But as I said, if you don't need to use aquarium salt because your fish don't need treatment, why use it at all?

Still this thread is about kind of algae eater and not about the use/not use of salt in a fresh water system...
    I even think there's already a thread about it somewhere.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonGoby
    But as I said, if you don't need to use aquarium salt because your fish don't need treatment, why use it at all?
    because it's good for them

electrolytes and all that jazz